Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 16, 2024, 04:09:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Adding Pictures to your message is EASY! 
While creating a topic, click on ADDITIONAL OPTIONS and then the Browse
button. Select a picture file from your computer and your done!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Brooding and Raising
| | |-+  Accidentally got quail, I know nothing about how to raise them, Please advise
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Accidentally got quail, I know nothing about how to raise them, Please advise  (Read 2629 times)
dehave

« on: May 30, 2008, 01:24:40 PM »

I went to buy some ducklings 2 weeks ago, for which I had a brooder setup and housing planned and had spent a month learning about.  The farmer I bought them from thought he was being nice to my daughter when he secretly slipped 2 baby quail in the box with the ducklings.  He had heard my daughter say she liked them. 

So now I have 2 week old pharoa and coturnix and no idea what to do.  When I emailed him he said just feed them chick starter and they'll be fine.  I wonder if that is true.  I kept them with the ducklings the first couple of days, then had to get them a new cage because one got picked half bald and the other got almost drowned.  At this point they are almost fully feathered except their heads.  They are in a very small cage, about 10" x 14" by 10"H.  He said they could stay in that for a long time, but they seem so bored and like they want to run around more. 

I have a "hutch/pen" sortof thing that is 2x4's and hardware cloth all around.  It's 2.5x3x6 roughly.  Should I put them out?  It's in the 50-60's during the day and high 40's at night.  Also what should I feed them.  I would like to feed organic, but cannot find organic game bird or turkey starter locally.  For my ducklings I feed Organic chick starter and supplement with brewers yeast for niacin.  Could I supplement for the quail to make it better for them? 

I just want them to be happy and healthy. 

Sorry so long!
CoopVilla
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2008, 02:52:29 PM »

these are fairly recent but if try a search you may find more info

Space
http://www.thatquailplace.com/smf/index.php?topic=4606.0

Feed
http://www.thatquailplace.com/smf/index.php?topic=4698.0
« Last Edit: May 30, 2008, 05:04:08 PM by CoopVilla » Logged
makesmiles

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2008, 09:24:45 PM »

c53

Either one of those cages will be fine for the quail.  However if they are only 2 weeks old, they still need heat.  You need to gradually acclimate them to the weather conditions were you are and then move them outside.  They will still need cover and some sort of protection from the cold.  Maybe a small enclosed "house" on one end.  Chicks need a high protein feed (28 to 30%) until they are 6 to 8 weeks old.  Try your local farm supply for gamebird starter.  Around here they break down 50 pound bags into 1, 5 and 10 pound bags for small sales.  You probably won't need more than a pound for the next 4 weeks.  At 6 to 8 weeks switch to a maintenance or grower gamebird feed or a layer feed if you happen to have 2 females or 1 male and 1 female and want to keep the eggs.  For only 2 birds, buy in small quantities as you need it.  Hope this helps.

David

p33
greyghost
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2008, 09:27:43 PM »

David, well said. I usually look for my birds fully feathered before they go out. The last part to feather is around the eyes, look for yellow, if gone they are good to go.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »