Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 16, 2024, 12:32:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Thank you for making us one of the highest ranking gamebird sites on the internet!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Brooding and Raising
| | |-+  Chukar chicks throwing food every where
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Chukar chicks throwing food every where  (Read 2743 times)
huntingken111

« on: June 28, 2006, 11:35:37 PM »

I have 67 chukar chicks that are 2 weeks old now.  I purchased 4 of the 5 pound plastic chick feeders.  I don't have a problem with poop in food anymore but I am noticing that they are messy eaters and I am loosing about 1 to 2 pounds of feed a week that falls through screen in the waste tray.  Anyone have any solutions so I am not throwing that much food away each week.  Adds up after a while.  Thanks
jchiar
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2006, 04:44:11 AM »

Put a tray under the feeders
stonecreek

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2006, 07:43:22 AM »

Put something under the feeders to get them up off of the ground.  If you make them stretch their necks they can not throw the feed around as much.  Chukar's seem to be picky on their feed size selection and will root around to find that "exact" size that they want.  Hope this helps. 

Dave

« Last Edit: June 29, 2006, 07:45:43 AM by stonecreek » Logged

huntingken111

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2006, 11:33:58 AM »

Thank you I'll give both a try.
birdlover
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2006, 02:05:20 PM »

hi,
if you place a heavy rock on top of the feeder it should keep it steady.  If the food is on the floor, i'm sure that the partridges will eat that off the floor, which means that the feed won't be wasted.  i once raised chukar partridges and instead of using a feeder , i just put the feed on the bottom of the cage.  Hope this helps!!
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2006, 10:36:09 PM »

Raised Chukars one time. Love the 1920s lazer gun noises they make ! (opps, dating myself here)

Wish I could give advice. I have tried so many ways to save on food waste. I'm not into Aviculture for profit, so I just toss the waste. But it is not a total waste. The grain crop, and black oil seed crop feeds the wild Huns on my place  :laugh:
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »