Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 04:18:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Hope everyone had a great year.  Welcome to 2013.  Our monthly drawings will be starting back soon!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Incubation
| | |-+  bad timing!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: bad timing!  (Read 9920 times)
derk1

« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2004, 08:26:35 PM »

redhorse bad news, it is getting black again right now.
Enough is enough, it did this crap last summer all summer. The mosquitoes are going to own the country again. Let alone paying over $2.00 a gallon for gas to mow the yard and run the generator. I have not had a good spring at all so far but I hope that changes real soon.
The candles are a neat idea also, never thought of that one., my luck I would catch the incubator on fire and burn my place to the ground though.

good luck everyone
Don McGowan
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2004, 07:05:01 AM »

Derrick place the candle under the humidity pan !!   when the candle melts through the pan it will put the candle out.   Just a thought ?    so far we have been lucky and have not lost the electric yet.  keep your chin up you'll make it !!!   hope to see you this weekend in Lucasville
Redhorse
Expert Member

« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2004, 09:32:44 AM »

Every time it rains, the water washes nectar and pollen out of a flower. It takes three days without rain for both of those to build up again. Last winter all my bees starved to death because they weren't able to put away enough honey to make it over the winter. :cry:  I put on feeders and did what I could do but too little too late. This spring spent around $900 on bees. They are doing OK but if it keeps up this way, I will not get a honey crop again this year. Will have to leave all the honey for the bees. :?

Checked my bator this morning and noticed the temp was a little over 101 :shock: ...don't know how long it was spiked like that. Not sure if I bumped the adjustment knob last time I was in there or what. Did I cook them?  :?:

Shotgun, bird dog, 4X4!!!!!
stewaw
Expert Member

« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2004, 08:27:14 PM »

Well I got hit pretty hard last evening (Southeast Oklahoma).  Those straightline 60 mph winds were too much for a couple of china berry trees and took off the corner of my porch and screwed up a new metal roof....The really bad news is we were without power from around 6:00pm until 2:30am. Lost 10 one week old quail and one red golden pheasant in the brooder.  Don't know what the impact will be in the incubator (150 quail eggs and ten pheasant eggs)....Have to wait and see. 60 of the quail and five of the pheasant are due to hatch Monday. The rest were five days into incubation.

P.S. Redhorse- I "planned" on getting started in bees this year.  A coworker had a working hive that he didn't want and before I could pick it up, his wife gave it away.  I had already purchased a hive body that I was going to use as a deep super so when plan A fell apart, I went ahead and bought the rest of a hive, got it painted and ready but it looks like I'll have to wait until next spring to order any bees. All dressed up but I have to wait about 8 months for the dance...

David
Redhorse
Expert Member

« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2004, 09:37:09 PM »

Stewaw, check with a local Apiary on this...but if you were to get the bees RIGHT NOW you should still be OK. Put feeders on and keep them in sugar water and you could certainly get the hive established this year. You might not get honey to harvest, but it would guarantee a larger harvest next year if they make it through the winter for you. Beginning of June is the latest recommended time to start a new hive in Ohio. Earlier the better, but I'm sure Oklahoma has a longer nectar flow than we do. Maybe even try to find one frame of drawn out comb from someone local so the queen could start laying immediately after you hive them. :)

CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2004, 12:17:45 AM »

Hey!!,,  that's enough talk about "the birds and the bees", you people are embarrassing me!!!   LOL!!    :lol:

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
Redhorse
Expert Member

« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2004, 10:34:35 AM »

:shock: Oh my :!:

Redhorse
Expert Member

« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2004, 11:02:59 AM »

:D Three chicks this morning! Had the hatch on my calendar for tomorrow or Tuesday. The temp did tend to run a little high the whole time, even though I tried to keep it at 100 it seemed to stay around 101-102. One chick was already dry and the other two are still wet. I guess I didn't manage to screw it up as bad as I thought I had. There is another batch of eggs in there about 2 weeks behind this first batch. Should have another bator to use as a hatcher before I put the third batch of eggs in. Suppose I'll have to start a new thread on the brooding and raising forum. :P

Redhorse
Expert Member

« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2004, 10:25:07 AM »

Well...out of 30 eggs 4 were not fertile and never developed at all. At this point 16 have hatched and the rest show no sign of life. I'm going to give them till this evening, and candle them again to see what there is to see. Of the 16 that hatched 3 did not make it. I now have 13 littls babies in the brooder :P . Now, I have 32 more eggs in the incubator due in a couple weeks, and a third batch I'll be putting in this week to start :? . Do I need to put some sort of divider in my brooder to keep these hatches seperate? I'm assuming the older birds will peck the newbies if I don't.

stewaw
Expert Member

« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2004, 06:57:53 PM »

You will need to separate those different hatches.  I've found that I have to brood chicks alone for the first week.  After that, I seem to have pretty good luck combining say; a batch of two week olds with a batch of four week olds.  The biggest trick I've found is to move ALL birds that are to be combined into a separate cage/pen etc. at the same time.  If you dump a new batch into an existing cage with other birds, the newcomers really take a beating but if it's a "new" cage to everyone they seem to adapt well. Note: this isn't very effective for breeding age birds during the breeding season.....those rascals (males and females alike) are just spoiling for a fight.

Regarding my power failure; would up with a decent hatch anyway.  I went 100% on 6 pheasant and about 80% on 50 quail.

David
Redhorse
Expert Member

« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2004, 10:09:21 AM »

:) My next hatch isn't due for another week or so. I have materials here to whip out another brooder quickly, so will probably keep the new hatch separate to begin with then combine first two when the third comes along. Glad to hear your hatch went well :!: My kids are really loving this...my wife thinks the chicks are pretty cute also. Don't know how long she will put up with having the brooder in our kitchen though :?:

Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »