Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:24:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Adding Pictures to your message is EASY! 
While creating a topic, click on ADDITIONAL OPTIONS and then the Browse
button. Select a picture file from your computer and your done!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Our Member's Section
| |-+  Generally Asked Questions
| | |-+  Anti Spam Filter
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Anti Spam Filter  (Read 7387 times)
RedOakGamebirds
Administrator
Expert Member

« on: October 31, 2010, 09:57:02 AM »

As many of you know we've had several attempts of spam the past few weeks.  Of course we delete them immediately when we find them and thanks to the members who report them.  This is nothing more than just a nuisance to our members.  As many of the new members already know I have an anti spam filter in place which requires you to enter a series of authentication numbers and letters to create an account.  As of now I'm adding more security and requiring each post to go through authentication until my set threshhold is reached.  Most spam is made by remote computers but the ones we've received lately some people are actually creating an account and manually logging in to spam.  Hopefully this will deter them because they now have to enter the authentication each time they post a spam message.  Unfortunately this hurts our members with little to no post count because they will be required to do it as well.  I apologize for this but its something I feel we need to do in order to eliminate the spam.  In addition to the spam here my main storefront page was also used in spamming.  An attacker was able to penetrate encrypted security and remove a script on the storefront and email it to thousands of people.  User files are not vulnerable to this spam but imagine getting repeated emails from your email address to offer prescription meds with the return link back to your homepage.  

We manufacture egg shipping foam!
Pollorum/Typhoid/Avian Free
NPIP 52-186
Member NAGA and Virginia Game Bird Asociation
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2010, 01:01:40 PM »

Whatever works is good with me !

Creative buggers, eh !
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2010, 02:37:22 PM »

Spammer spamming an anti spam topic !  ck1
RedOakGamebirds
Administrator
Expert Member

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2010, 04:40:21 PM »

An upgraded spam filter will be installed shortly.  For the time being all new members will be manually approved by an administrator prior to joining the forum at which time you WILL BE REQUIRED to list your location.  Once your IP is checked with our database you will be given membership into this forum.  I apologize for having to do this but I feel this is necessary to help remove the spam issues we've been experiencing here.  Once I have the new filter up and running I will remove the current membership rule.  So far this week alone I have removed over 40 illegitimate accounts and its hurting our current members or those wanting to join.  I also removed a script that one of these spammers used to send out over 400 emails per hour using this website. 

NPIP 52-186
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

EST. 2001 Owner/Operator Located in Slate, WV

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2011, 09:49:02 AM »

Apparently it doesn't work..

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
RedOakGamebirds
Administrator
Expert Member

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2011, 12:40:35 PM »

Actually it was working for the past couple months but a week or so ago I turned the settings off to where all new members had to be manually accepted.  I guess that was a bad idea.  So I turned it back on.

NPIP 52-186
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

EST. 2001 Owner/Operator Located in Slate, WV

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2011, 02:14:08 PM »

Actually it was working for the past couple months but a week or so ago I turned the settings off to where all new members had to be manually accepted.  I guess that was a bad idea.  So I turned it back on.

Did you get my message on this besides this post? I tried to get you much earlier before he had the chance to nuke it here, but I couldn't fine any other way of getting a hold of you.

Happy New Year to ya Larry!

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »