Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 16, 2024, 01:22:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Thank you for making us one of the highest ranking gamebird sites on the internet!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Health Issues
| | |-+  Bleeding Legs on Bobs
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bleeding Legs on Bobs  (Read 8255 times)
ncffp163
« on: August 24, 2006, 08:18:29 PM »

Hi ya'll..

I'm having trouble with some of my Wis. jumbo Bobs. They've got bleeding legs/ knees (is that the proper term?). I've had 2 to die and 3-4 more with the bleeding and limping. Any ideas on what could be causing this. They're about 12 weeks or so old. I put a head of lettuce hanging from the the top of the pen and have a dust box. I have about 30 in a 4'X8' pen off the ground. Is there any thing else to do? Thanks!!

Eric
« Last Edit: August 24, 2006, 08:20:41 PM by ncffp163 » Logged
aKirA
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2006, 08:27:19 PM »

you feeding them High protein feed? 28%-30% protein
ncffp163
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2006, 08:31:14 PM »

aKirA,

Yes I am
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2006, 08:53:52 AM »

Are you thinking that this is some sort of health related problem and not cannabalism/pecking?

30 birds in a 4x8 area is way too overcrowded in my opinion.

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
jk
Expert Member

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2006, 05:47:23 PM »

Yes. I agree very much. That is way too small of a pen for that many birds...

American Game Bantams, Wood Ducks, and Mandarins.
poultryman90

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2006, 06:34:46 PM »

Well, if you think about it, not really. Unfortunatly, it can't always be about opinion. This should be about facts. In the rollout cages, like you would find at GQF, it is a 4 bird capacity for a 10"x24" battery. This is approximately 2 square feet. If you break it down, thats .5 sq ft per bird. So a 4x8 is 32 sq ft. That should be enough for 64 quail, but to be comfortable, figure about 50. With this comparison, I would think that 30 would be just fine in a 4x8. Now, lets think of the real reason that these quail's legs are bleading. They have leg mites. Go out, and look closely at their legs, you will see tiny tiny bugs crawling around on them, which are hard to see, but they're there. Take some WWD 40, or some other type of lube and spray their legs down. This will drown the leg mites, and make them want to leave if they don't die. After that, take all the birds away from the pen, and spray the pen down with bleach water, and disinfect it. If they were simply getting pecked at, they would still be able to walk, and get to the feed and water, but with leg mites, they will be crippled, so try to act quick. Also give them some 7 dust in their dust bath. This should help too. Hope this helps,

Ethan King

Ethan King-

King's Poultry & Gamebirds

Ethan_King@hotmail.com
910 875 5077
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2006, 12:10:47 PM »

Is that your opinion/guess or do you know for sure that's what is going on? And yes, I have thought about it and regardless of what works and what people do, that's too many birds in that area. I've also seen 14 horses raised in a 100x100' area.....that works too.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2006, 12:15:59 PM by trailbossusa » Logged

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
jk
Expert Member

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2006, 03:21:18 PM »

You could raise and keep 50 bobwhites in a 4x8 area...but you ARE going to get picking and a lot of them dying because of overcrowding. The birds may live but will probably not be too healthy... Just because someone does something and it "works" for them doesn't mean it will work for everyone. I have heard people say they have a trio of silkies in a 2x2 area... that will work...but the birds will nowhere near thrive. If I would have to make a guess it would be because of other birds picking at legs. Leg mites would be less likely but could still MAYBE be a factor. But regardless of if there are leg mites, that is still too small of a pen for that many birds. IMHO, I would only keep 10-15 birds in there... they should have at least 3-5 sq.feet, AT LEAST. In that pen it is more like 1 sq. ft. per bird, which I think is not sufficient for ANY bird, no matter the size...

American Game Bantams, Wood Ducks, and Mandarins.
drwink
Expert Member

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2006, 10:17:00 AM »

I agree, a little much for the size pen depending on the age.
had this problem 2 years ago. I lost a few before I noticed it. once they start bleeding the others won't leave them alone regaurdless of what the cause was.
You need to Isolate the bleeding birds, I had one that I saved and I didn't think I was going to be able to. had open bone exposed on both legs. She lost 2 toes also but wound up recovering and becoming a producer for the last 2 years.
I usually keep about 30 birds with no problems but the pen is 4 x 16

Wally

Birddogs, homegrown Tomatoes & the Blues
To me, it dosen't get any better than that

DW Farm & Kennel
Bloomingtongamebirds

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2006, 11:28:54 AM »

To many  birds in that amount of space, everytime I have had this happen it's an overcrowding thing.
ncffp163
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2006, 05:49:45 PM »

Thanks ya'll for all the input. I was going on the 1 sq ft per bird, but i guess it wasn't enough. I appreciate all the help.

Eric
stewaw
Expert Member

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2006, 06:43:13 PM »

Time for the old "scientific method"......One camp says leg "mites", one camp says leg "bites".....Split the birds into two equal sized pens and see what happens.....If it's simply pecking/crowding the symptoms should decrease or dissappear, if it's leg mites the problem will either stay the same or get worse.
My vote is overcrowding without knowing more about your pens.....

Keep us posted,
David
Bird Brained
Expert Member

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2006, 08:04:32 PM »

Leg Mites (I know it as "scaley leg mites") will cause the scales on the legs to "lift" ,or seperate, and not lay as tight against one another.  Is this also the case?  Vasoline smeared over the legs will work too to smother out the mites.

You didn't mention the final use of the birds having the problem, or I didn't catch it (i.e. breeding, holding pen for dog training use, eating, grow pen for young, etc)....This would help me to make the best proposal to you on a long-term versus short term solution.

You mentioned the pen is off the ground....does it have a wire bottom or a solid bottom?  If wire, what type of wire and size?

If they are pecking at that age (12 weeks), I would also guess all their tail feathers are also missing (bob-tail bobwhites).  Is that also the case?

Anyway, if it's a short-term solution, you could debeak them all and if it's a picking problem, that should solve it for some time (if done with a hot blade debeaker, nail clippers will be shorter lived) and you can keep them all in that same pen.

Either way, some hiding cover would be good too.  Cut a 6 foot tall cedar tree down and lay it to one side of the pen....length way.  This will divide the pen up and give them some seperation.

ncffp163
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2006, 10:47:37 PM »

Ok...here's the pen:
http://www.thatquailplace.com/smf/index.php?topic=2698.0

1/2X1/2 hardware galvanized cloth floor. Tail feathers are intact, no feathers missing anywhere that I can see
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2006, 11:09:43 PM »

Is there any way you can take some pictures of the problem areas & post them ? Would help us help you faster/better.

(but I also think crowding)
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »