Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 16, 2024, 03:49:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
TQP Forum has a new look!  Let us know what you think!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Health Issues
| | |-+  second female breeder died
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: second female breeder died  (Read 3002 times)
drwink
Expert Member

« on: March 15, 2005, 09:08:11 AM »

The other day I lost a second female breeder. I lost one back around Christmas also possibly from the same thing.
I check my pens twice a day, morning & evening. In both cases everything was fine in the am. In the evening I see a female, sluggish, feathers ruffled a bit, just sitting there. Usually I can't hardly touch my birds, but I touch these females and they don't move or at least not much, I can pick them up, they are breathing, eyes look partially shut, both died shortly their after.
The first one I thought because it was a sub-zero night, but this last one was in the thirty degree range.
All other birds seem fine, but if this keeps up, I'm going to have to take out some males.
Anybody got any ideas on the cause ? birds are 9-10 months old.

Thanks
Wally

Birddogs, homegrown Tomatoes & the Blues
To me, it dosen't get any better than that

DW Farm & Kennel
magnumhntr
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2005, 12:53:11 PM »

I'm assuming these are the ones you have laying. Could be egg bound? I had a ringneck hen do the same thing last spring. Only thing I can think of, especially if they're healthy.

Chris Morehouse
www.mmgamebirds.com
Located in Southwest Michigan
quailer370
Expert Member

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2005, 11:53:53 PM »

after a long winter of no laying one of my quail succumbed to eggbinding-her symptoms were similar to those of your quail, drwink.  some young quail get eggbound on their first laying season.  best way to prevent it: calcium and exercise. yes, exercise-after my female died of eggbinding i started taking mine out into the yard more and making sure they all ran around.  then again it sounds like yours arent that tame...

-quailer370

life's like a bucket of wood shavings, except when the shavings are in a pail...then life's like a PAIL of wood shavings :D
drwink
Expert Member

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2005, 10:40:11 AM »

could have been eggbound I suppose. Sure didn't think so when the first one died as it was a few weeks before they started laying. But then again this one could have been the first to be ready.
My birds can get plenty of exercise in their pen & the breeders are fairly tame, some will let me touch them but don't like being handled.
The release birds I like as wild as possible with as little human contact as possible.

Wally

Birddogs, homegrown Tomatoes & the Blues
To me, it dosen't get any better than that

DW Farm & Kennel
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »