Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:01:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Thank you for making us one of the highest ranking gamebird sites on the internet!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Incubation
| | |-+  Does this product work
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Does this product work  (Read 2811 times)
kolby

« on: January 04, 2009, 11:09:15 AM »

Does this product simply read humidity & temp just by placing inside incubator then
looking at it.

http://www.cutlersupply.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=10&products_id=627

Home ::  Thermometers ::  Thermometer-Hygrometer- TRH
Thermometers
Product 12/13

Hope this doesn't start a roasting of me

Suz658
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2009, 12:24:43 PM »

Digital thermometer/hygrometer are usually calibrated well, so give an accurate reading of the conditions within the incubator.

I use similar in my incubators  :?:  easy to use too ... like you say just pop it in the middle of your incubator and monitor readings.
kolby

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2009, 01:10:04 PM »

That's what I hope want to get good humidity reading, but after reading wicks and pads drilling covering stem if wick dries.Kinda started thinking it would be nice to have a instument that you set it forget humidity reading
wildergamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2009, 01:28:32 PM »

What she said, Plus:

I alway set up a wet bulb with a calibrated thermometer near the place I hang the digital.  I then adjust humidity so that it's correct, and make a note on the glass of the door with a marking pen.  That way, I know what reading I should have for incubation, and hatching.

I'll repeat a suggestion I try to always use.  Keep your incubator in a small room, or boxed-in are, where you can keep ambient temperature and humidity within 10-20 points of that in incubator.  Also, be sure to convert wet bulb readings to relative humidity, before setup.  I think we had someone here once that was trying to get 96%, rather than 96 degrees wet bulb.

And about roasting, it's often easier to see the effect, than the cause.  And the cause often gets deleted first.  You don't have anything to worry about.  Others may have had bad experiences with the digitals and tell us we are all wet, but that's a different matter.

What incubator are you using?

When nuts are outlawed, only outlaws will have nuts, look at France.
kolby

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2009, 02:07:38 PM »

Foam incubator with fan GQF little gaint I think. I mostly oder chicks because I have a habit of counting them before they hatch. Though I do like to have incubator on hand in case I want to get a late winter hatch. I had good luck with cotunix hatching,
bobs ok, then I got worse % I figure wrong humidity. Tried Chukar chicks this year I
like thier size and speed, space requirement just not as pretty as quail and they don't make the sweetest sounds. In Connecticut Bobs and pheasant sell better, pheasant
have a good leftover statis after stocking. Bobs fly kinda low for small areas around here. Chukars are new for me so I can't say yet how they hold up after stocking day
but speed, flight hieght and eating size are good. Off hand do you know if they will run around the hedge rows and field edge some what like pheasant.I know predation
takes it's toll but if not what or where will they frequent. sorry about the endless post
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »