Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 09:30:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
TQP Forum has a new look!  Let us know what you think!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Our Member's Section
| |-+  Off Topic Discussion and Current Event's
| | |-+  New Worm named "Conficker"
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Worm named "Conficker"  (Read 2377 times)
cv
Expert Member

« on: January 17, 2009, 04:23:26 PM »

Thought I'd post this in hopes of at least an awareness.

January 15th, 2009 CST from McAfee advert labs blog
http://www.avertlabs.com/research/blog/index.php/category/vulnerability-research/

Yahoo Tech!
http://tech.yahoo.com/news/pcworld/20090116/tc_pcworld/confickerwormattackgettingworsehereshowtoprotectyourself

Pc World
http://www.pcworld.com/article/157877/conficker_worm_attack_getting_worse_heres_how_to_protect_yourself.html

more info provided by Google
http://images.google.com/images?gbv=2&hl=en&q=conficker+worm&btnG=Search+Images

CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2009, 12:21:48 AM »

Ever think that it's the PC companies and Ant-Virus software companies who construct and introduce these viruses/worms out on the web?   :-|  Who better to do it than those who know them (PC's) best?  Easy enough done.

What a great scam for job security and to boost sales!   ^-^

j4
« Last Edit: January 19, 2009, 12:23:37 AM by CharlieHorse » Logged

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
cv
Expert Member

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2009, 02:53:03 PM »

Yes, I've wondered that myself.

A while back, when running a virus scan, I use McAfee on a weekly basis or when something doesn't appear right, anyway, something was picked up that couldn't or wouldn't be removed/quarantined/repaired.

When I checked out what it was, McAfee said it was a Trojan in the form of spyware created by a huge, major company which would explain why nothing could be done. My thought was WHAT  mcafee says this ? and why would a company like this want info on me anyway. I don't do any thing to warrant being tracked. or do I ?

Puzzled, I ran it by a person whom is a CEO I know that works in the wireless industry.

He didn't or couldn't believe it.. So, I stopped talking about it as well as 99.9 percent of my on line activity, Eventually it was removed and have since not been able to locate anything on it. My word or theirs ?

I did read the report and the whys continue

« Last Edit: January 19, 2009, 05:46:15 PM by cv » Logged
wildergamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2009, 05:04:19 PM »

One simple scam, used by smaller "companies" is to use spyware/ad-ware that gives you a warning that a virus may be present.  They can protect you (for a small fee, of course).  In most cases, a true virus never exists.  Some have planted viruses and sold removal software, but these are probably quite rare, since there are hackers that would destroy their systems, if they caught them, plus the government has fined the ever lovin' dog doo out of some of them.  It's much safer for them to deal in "might haves, and could bes", rather than actual viruses.

I recently heard some good things about these folks.  They make their money by selling other products, and radio program advertising.  This site is their public relations program.  If you like what they give you, you're likely to buy what they sell.  Their downloads include a list of servicing you should do, step by step on a weekly basis, similar to what cv mentioned.

www.savemybutt.com

When nuts are outlawed, only outlaws will have nuts, look at France.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »