Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 01, 2024, 01:20:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Adding Pictures to your message is EASY! 
While creating a topic, click on ADDITIONAL OPTIONS and then the Browse
button. Select a picture file from your computer and your done!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Hunting Gamebirds
| |-+  Bird Dog Topics
| | |-+  Over Wintering.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Over Wintering.  (Read 2780 times)
DesONeile
« on: June 16, 2006, 06:14:27 PM »

I have been training Pointers for almost exactly thirty years but only recently had access to quail for training. Whereas in theory all types are available we use Courtnix and Bobwhite. The courtnix, up to now at any rate, don't return to the Johnny House so we toss them into the cover, let the young dogs find them and when we think either the pointers, the quail or we have had enough, get a spaniel to bring them back to hand. We have had no bother to date rearing young each year, or keeping the Courtnix over the winter.
We use the Bobwhite out of a portable Johnny House mainly because as they aren't an indigenous species we can’t release them permanently but we use them very much the way you folks do in America. Our problem with the Bobwhite is keeping them over the winter. Last February all our breeding stock died. To keep when over the winter they were paired off in songbird cages and kept in the mews in exactly the same conditions as the Courtnix yet over about a week in February the Bobs died one by one.

Your Advice please.
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2006, 03:22:36 PM »

I'd repost this in the "brooding and raising"  or "health" section.

I'm guessing that pairing them off may be your problem, I don't know how cold it gets there, I know nothing about cortunix, but bobs covey up in order to stay warm. Two isn't hardly enough to stay warm depending on the temp. I'd go with no less then 10 to 20 in a covey.

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »