Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 08:15:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
TQP Forum has a new look!  Let us know what you think!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Brooding and Raising
| | |-+  Artificial Lighting Question
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Artificial Lighting Question  (Read 2728 times)
JRHUNTER
« on: August 24, 2004, 01:39:55 AM »

For those of you that have been succesful in getting your birds to lay with artificial lighting, I have a question. My bobwhites have stopped laying eggs for about 2 weeks now marking the end of the breeding season for me (a very light egg laying season) . I live in CA and we are getting about 14 hours of light per day. What kind of lighting schedule should I put these birds on to get them to lay eggs? I have read that after normal breeding season it is best to limit the birds to 8 hours of light per day for 8 weeks, then raise it to 17 hours of light per day. I have also read that I can start right off the bat with 17 hours of light per day and they will start to lay eggs in 18 to 21 days. What schedule do some of you use right after breeding season?
quailfriend

« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2004, 09:07:29 PM »

I have never had to use artifiacial light but if you set up an automatic timer and got the light going into a portion of the night that would probably do the trick.

12 ga. shotgun shells $5.00
candybar                   $.75
13 gallons gasoline    $26.31 (ouch)
taking a three day weekend to quail hunt with your dog---------priceless

remember a bad day hunting is better than a good day working.
fredrik

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2004, 03:30:58 AM »

I moved my coturnix quail indoor last autumn, a month or so after they had stopped alying because the days got shorter.  I gave them artificial lighti 16-17 hour per day, and they started laying after a week or two I think.  Lots of eggs all winter.  It probably would be better for the quail thoug, if they had an 8 weeks resting period with for example 8 hour light as you describe.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »