Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 03:28:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Hope everyone had a great year.  Welcome to 2013.  Our monthly drawings will be starting back soon!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Brooding and Raising
| | |-+  Banding?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Banding?  (Read 2989 times)
animal_lover1920
« on: January 17, 2005, 09:47:03 PM »

I am planning to get a couple of quail, and I was wondering... is it possible to band quail? I'm just worried about them flying away. And I think I can get some with my phone number printed on them. That way someone can call me if they find one.
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2005, 12:17:15 PM »

??.....of course they are going to fly away if and when they get the chance. I imagine if anybody finds one it will probably be dead....gunshot wound, cats, dogs, etc.  You can band them, but it is usually for identification within a group to determine age, origin, etc. and to identify out in the field when caught in a recall pen or shot. What kind of quail are you talking about?

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
animal_lover1920
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2005, 04:56:57 PM »

Well- thats pretty much what I figured. But I have alot of wild quail that run free, and if I see one running around the yard I want to be able to tell whether its mine or a wild one!!

They are Cortunix quail. But they are still eggs- and are supposed to hatch on the 4th 0r 5th of Feb.

Thanks, Rachel
quailer370
Expert Member

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2005, 05:53:30 PM »

um, is releasing a non-native species into the wild such a good idea? i know most people who do release them do it for hunting purposes but it doesnt exactly sound like you hunt them...releasing them could wipe out the local population of native quail-i dont know whats native in your state but coturnix are actually native to parts of asia

-quailer370

life's like a bucket of wood shavings, except when the shavings are in a pail...then life's like a PAIL of wood shavings :D
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2005, 08:25:28 AM »

You can get bands from suppliers of all different colors, I personnally wouldn't want my phone number running around rampant.   :wink:

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »