Raising Gamebirds > Build It Yourself

Elevated Floor Flight Pen

(1/13) > >>

Bird Brained:
Within this post you will find the basic stages of constructing an elevated floor flight pen.  There are many ways to build one, this is only one way.  All wood material is pressure treated, all nails, wire and metal is galvanized.

The first couple pictures show setting the posts and using the main floor joists to hold the posts on proper spacing as I went down the line.

The third picture is the basic framework completed.  Notice the basic roof boards have been added to hold the 4x4 posts in position, in addition to the floor joists.

The fourth picture shows the finished floor joists to be used in supporting the wire floor (1/2 x 1 16gauge galvanized after weld wire).

Bird Brained:
First and second picture here shows the addition of the framework to support the enclosure end of the pen.  Also, the framwork added to the 4x4 posts to support the metal sight barrier material.

Third picture shows the addition of the wire flooring and the sight barrier.  Put the flooring on first so you have room to work around the perimeter of the pen.

Bird Brained:
First and second picture shows the roof trusses added to support the metal roofing on the enclosure end of the pen and the addition of the plywood (could be metal) sides of the enclosure and the metal roofing itself.

The third picture shows the addition of hidding places down both sides of the inside of the pen.  This is important to have so birds can seperate themselves from others, provide additional shelter in bad weather, and be a hidding place when that predator flies over.

Bird Brained:
These last three pictures show the finished flight pen with netting, feeders, water system and most importantly....birds added.  The netting was stretched over the top and down the sides to provide a cushion when the birds fly into it.

Keep in mind,  I took approx 65 pictures during the construction but am only showing the main steps here to provide you with an example of what it takes to complete this type of project.  If you have any specific questions about a detail to completing one of these steps, let me know and I'll do my best to provide you the answer.

Jake Levi:
Nice looking job, well done.   s87

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version