Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 02:52:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Adding Pictures to your message is EASY! 
While creating a topic, click on ADDITIONAL OPTIONS and then the Browse
button. Select a picture file from your computer and your done!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Health Issues
| | |-+  Its that time of year
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Its that time of year  (Read 2902 times)
IamTomm
Expert Member

« on: December 16, 2004, 03:27:45 PM »

Just a reminder its that time of year. When you give the pens or coops the winter cleaning and medicate all the birds for what ever before the cold really sets in.  And also a big one is worm and dust all the birds so no bugs are hiding in the fur. Nows the time of season mites and fleas and what not hit the hardest trying to find a warm place to hide the winter. Also getting time to winter proof the pens, warp plastic around them or bring the birds inside what ever it is that you do.  Well hopefully everyone and thier birds has a easy going winter and noone looses any birds to the cold. Also wanted to wish everyone happy holidays.
drwink
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2004, 12:00:55 PM »

for the reminder, however can you help me out here.
This is my first year keeping birds over winter for next years breeders.
My pens have been cleaned, plastizised with visqueen on the south side, tarped on the north & west sides.
I have a heater base under their water so it won't freeze.
So I think I am set there.
My birds are all healthy & all seams well there but what meds should be used ? Something in their water ?
As far as mites & such, I was just getting a dusting box together & figured I should put something in their for that, what should I use ?

Thanks for any reply

Wally

Birddogs, homegrown Tomatoes & the Blues
To me, it dosen't get any better than that

DW Farm & Kennel
IamTomm
Expert Member

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2004, 08:45:27 PM »

Solu-Tracin 200.  If you get the e-zine, leland was just talking about what a good medication it is to use on a monthly basis for a prevenative. Also auromyaxin and treamyacin work good also. I Do use a very old time med thats called vet rx, it works great if the bird sis just starting to get a cold and is said to be a cure all but I think its mostly for colds. It smells a lot like vicks vapor rub. its a liquid that you can apply extrenally or internally. I ussualy put a few drops on thier back and when they preen they ingesta bit and I also put a few drops in thier water.

As far as mites and flea, 7 dust works good and I also just got a poultry and vegtable dust that works pretty well. If your going to use a dust box just mix the powder with some sand and let them dust themselfs.
drwink
Expert Member

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2004, 10:26:39 AM »

Tom
Will do, have a good Holiday

Wally

Birddogs, homegrown Tomatoes & the Blues
To me, it dosen't get any better than that

DW Farm & Kennel
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »