Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:51:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Adding Pictures to your message is EASY! 
While creating a topic, click on ADDITIONAL OPTIONS and then the Browse
button. Select a picture file from your computer and your done!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Health Issues
| | |-+  Dewormer for quail
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dewormer for quail  (Read 51460 times)
AA Plantation
« on: June 28, 2007, 09:56:55 AM »

I don't have any problems now, but i know that a problem should be prevented before it happens.
Anyone ever used ivermec to deworm quail? if so what would be the dose for grown birds in a 5gal waterer.
How about 3 week old chicks dose for 58oz waterer?
Thanks
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

EST. 2001 Owner/Operator Located in Slate, WV

« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2007, 10:36:20 AM »

I don't have any problems now, but i know that a problem should be prevented before it happens.
Anyone ever used ivermec to deworm quail? if so what would be the dose for grown birds in a 5gal waterer.
How about 3 week old chicks dose for 58oz waterer?
Thanks

Break it down by weight per adult bird. Add all the birds average weight and then add the dosage per label.

If you have as an example, 1000 adult quail and the average weight is let say or arguments sake, 10oz. 10oz X 1000 adults = 10,000oz. Divide that by 16oz.
10,000oz divided by 16oz =  625lbs.

Use 10mL (2 teaspoonfuls) of solution to 1gal of water per 100 lbs. Just make sure you use enough water trays throughout your area so all adult birds will get to drink. I do my pheasant this way and break it down for a two day treatment.

This is some strong meds. Do not shotgun the meds. Over medicating them to give then the so-called boost will kill them.

I have never tried this on chicks and I wouldn’t recommend it either. This medication is for worming Large Roundworms: (Ascaris) Nodular Worms (Oesophagostomum spp.) Lung Worms (Metastrongylus spp.) Intestinal Thread Worms: (Strongyloides ransomi)

Use Fendendazole for gape worm. The normal earthworm is a host to many of the strongyloides. Using a vet to check the fresh fecal mater is really the best way to go.

I would also suggest keeping the Merk Vet Manual as a favorite.
This does come in handy when diagnosing certian ailments.

http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index.jsp?cfile=htm/bc/mvm_list.htm

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm 
« Last Edit: July 01, 2007, 12:51:12 PM by Pheasant Hollow Farm » Logged

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
AA Plantation
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2007, 12:55:23 PM »

Thanks Steve,
MtBullion Gamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2007, 01:04:09 PM »

Yeah, thanks Steve.  That was very helpful for me too.  Great stuff.

Teresa
Mt. Bullion Gamebirds
www.mtbulliongamebirds.com
Licensed Gamebird Breeder by the California Department of Fish and Game.  A.I. clean tested.  Not currently N.P.I.P.
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2007, 03:39:14 PM »

Thanks Steve,

Yeah, thanks Steve.  That was very helpful for me too.  Great stuff.

You're welcome..

Just read the label. It is mainly a pig wormer. You just have to break it down into smaller doses. Make sure there are plenty of water trays around so all the birds get to drink and do over two days. Repeat if you want ever month if needed.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
WHITNEYPLU
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2007, 09:29:22 PM »

I use that for my peafowl but it pours on behind the shoulders. Mr. Cupples of Cupples farms,http://www.cupplesfarm.com/ , sells a feed for worming. It contains Fendendazole, also known as Safe Guard, in the feed and can be feed to the birds for 3 days to 12 days as a sole feed with no weaning time. I use this on the peafowl as well and have never had any problems with low fertility. We have a wildlife perserve here specializing in exotic and endangered animals, including the whooping crane and Atwaters Grouse and their onsite vet recommends safe guard and the Ivermec exclusively on Turkey, chicken, geese, Peafowl and any other animal that might encounter worms on the ground. Also she added in thier cages they lightly sprinkle salt on the ground to drive the earthworms back down so the animals to dont come in contact with the worms. Use this method lightly as high doses will kill plants and grass. This can even be mixed in with a 7 dust when sprinkled to also help with insects. I hope this helps a little
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2007, 09:25:26 AM »

I use that for my peafowl but it pours on behind the shoulders. Mr. Cupples of Cupples farms,http://www.cupplesfarm.com/ , sells a feed for worming. It contains Fendendazole, also known as Safe Guard, in the feed and can be feed to the birds for 3 days to 12 days as a sole feed with no weaning time. I use this on the peafowl as well and have never had any problems with low fertility. We have a wildlife perserve here specializing in exotic and endangered animals, including the whooping crane and Atwaters Grouse and their onsite vet recommends safe guard and the Ivermec exclusively on Turkey, chicken, geese, Peafowl and any other animal that might encounter worms on the ground. Also she added in thier cages they lightly sprinkle salt on the ground to drive the earthworms back down so the animals to dont come in contact with the worms. Use this method lightly as high doses will kill plants and grass. This can even be mixed in with a 7 dust when sprinkled to also help with insects. I hope this helps a little

Yes this is an alternative given the fact that Safe-Guard, Fendendazole, is in suspension. Depending on the amount of birds you have, this may be better when added in with the feed. Naturally you will have to hold of feeding for more then 24 hours, if not the birds will tend to pick instead of feeding. While this is can be used in a limited situation, water soluble wormers seem to be more progressive since the birds will drink more then eat during the warmer weather.

I have used Safe-Guard in water, but, a good agitation/mixing in a one(1) gallon solution is what I would recommend. The dose should be repeated for 7 days since the Safe-Guard will separate and lie at the bottom of the water tray and be useless.

Then again, if your birds are raised on wire, the chances of worming should be very slim. More concerns would be in the respiratory disease area being confined in a limited space.

SULFADIMETHOXINE - M-01 (Soluble) 107 grams. Sulfadimethoxine. For coccidiosis, fowl cholera, infectious corzya

AUREOMYCIN - M-03 (Soluble) 6.4 oz. Chlortetracycline. For chronic respiratory disease (C.R.D.), bluecomb, synoyitis, fowl cholera.

SOLU-TRACIN 200 (BMD) - M-20 (Soluble) 4.1 oz. Bacitracin For prevention and treatment of Ulcerative Enteritis (quail disease), C.R.D., air-sac infection, to combat secondary infections, stress, growth and appetite.

SULMET - M-22 (liquid) 16 oz. 12.5% Sodium Sulfamethazine For coccidiosis, fowl cholera, infectious coryza, pullorum. A good sulfa medicine.

TYLAN POWDER - M-25
(Soluble) 100 gram Tylosis Tartrate For chronic respiratory disease (C.R.D.), caused by Mycroplasma Gallisepticum (MG). Makes 50 gallons.

AGRIMYCIN - M-26
(Soluble) 6.4 oz. 10 gm Oxytetracycline HCI per pkg Broad spectrum antibiotic, for all respiratory problems. Useful in prevention of mortality due to stress. Same as Terramycin.

You can get these through http://www.cutlersupply.com

Or at your local farm supply or feed store.

I have used Terramycin soluble powder which is a broad spectrum antibiotic with great results when I can’t find the cheaper Agrimycin.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Pine Grove

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2007, 11:56:50 AM »

levamisole sheep wormer bolus, 2 per gallon of water, let them drink one day, kills all worms common to gamebirds. nothing better for cecal worms
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2007, 01:12:14 PM »

This topic should have a sticky. (please)
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2007, 03:51:55 PM »

Who ya asking for the sticky??

Steve
Pheasant Hollow farm

Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2007, 03:56:08 PM »

Here is a handy Conversion Chart for medications and supplements:

1 ml = 1cc
5 ml = 1 teaspoon
1 gram = 0.035 ounce
1 ounce = 28.35 grams
1 kilogram = 2.20 lbs.
1 lb. = 0.45 kilogram
1 liter = 1.05 qts. Liquid
1 qt. liquid = .94 liter

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2007, 04:01:25 PM »

Steve
Pheasant Hollow farm

The administrator.

And thanks for the chart!

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
WHITNEYPLU
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2007, 04:01:56 PM »

Steve,
 I am receiving some melansitic mutants from Mcmurray this week. How are they on pecking each other and their temperment with other chicks their same age ( ringnecks and bantams)?
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2007, 04:05:59 PM »

Only Larry (forum owner) can do this. I'd like to see this info saved. Many people ask & we have to go through it nearly every year.
Plus up-dates can be made. The U.S. and Canadian Gov. are always changing laws about what can be purchased. Some stuff can be purchased one place & not another.

I used to use Tramasol (sp?) it is/was a pig wormer. I can no longer buy it up here.

I have to go through my books again & see if the drugs named can even be purchased up here still.

Last time I spoke with a Vet (this past spring) nearly all the ones I named I couldn't get.

Very good topic, much good info. Also something many(new people) never think about, and something that has to be done all the time.
WHITNEYPLU
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2007, 04:12:39 PM »

Why is it that they are banning all the products up there? and do you have products up there that we can not obtain? Man you all are lucky the nearest "bird" vet here is 4 hours away, all of them are moreinterested in cattle or cats and dont give a hoot about the birds.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »