Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 05:09:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
TQP Forum has a new look!  Let us know what you think!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Incubation
| | |-+  My first hatch (button quail)! [pics included]
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: My first hatch (button quail)! [pics included]  (Read 2271 times)
budfog
« on: August 08, 2006, 04:01:25 PM »

[In Regards to my previous post http://www.thatquailplace.com/smf/index.php?topic=2806.0]

Yesterday morning at 8:17, I awoke to high pitched, muffled peeps.  I jumped out of bed and ran over to the incubator (which is in my bedroom).  Inside, two wet, and ugly looking creatures were stumbling around, and climbing over all of the eggs.  The two chicks (button quail), apparently unable to see properly, wandered around the incubator, crashing head over heals, and somersaulting over their own feet.  Full of energy, they raced around the wire mesh floor, and then ~bam~, they bumped into one another.  Since the collision, each has been obsessed with and curious about the other.  Watson, the lighter of the two, and Crick (darker), are inseparable, and go everywhere with one another.  When they are not scampering around the pine shavings that coat their “home” floor, they are snuggling with one another and resting.  It’s humorous to watch them climb all over one another, stepping on the other’s body, head, and tripping themselves as they attempt to move as one. They are a lot of fun.  They quickly discovered the little shelter in their home, and were very interested in the smashed up food, once they stumbled into it.  They have a routine of exploration: they run across their home, then in an instant they fall asleep, tipping over mid-stride.  They rest for 1 or 2 minutes, and then repeat.  Whether or not they’ll soon be accompanied by additional playmates is uncertain, but there are 12 other eggs remaining in the incubator; hopefully they’ll hatch.  I’ve included a bunch of photos that I’ve taken of the two chicks since they hatched.

Just a few questions for the board: Today is the 20th day of incubation for these button quail, and I'm wondering what I should do with the 12 eggs that remain in the incubator.  The two chicks (mentioned above) hatched yesterday, the 19th day, and there hasn't been any activity that I've noticed in the incubator since then.  I had hoped to see the chicks hatch, but the two that did broke out of their shells in just a matter of an hour (as I had checked the eggs an hour before I noticed their chirping).  I don't want to risk harming any potential hatchers, and need some advice.  Also, please take a look at my pictures (my setup) and let me know if I'm doing anything wrong:).

-Adam
CalebK273

Mandarin Drake at the house.

« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2006, 11:56:33 PM »

Nice pictures and good luck with them!

Caleb

Caleb L. Kordsmeier
I have Woodducks, Mandarins, AGB's and BB Red OEG.
Visit My Website
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »