Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 03:59:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Hope everyone had a great year.  Welcome to 2013.  Our monthly drawings will be starting back soon!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Incubation
| | |-+  How long do California Quail take to hatch?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: How long do California Quail take to hatch?  (Read 7029 times)
lhamid
« on: June 28, 2005, 08:22:40 PM »

I stumbled upon a California Quail nest with 12 eggs in our field. The hen flew away and has not returned to est. I am watching for her, but with all the predators around here it is unlikely the clutch will survive. I see other hens that nest in protected areas, this one is right out in the open. If she doesn't return I am going to gather the eggs and put them in my Sportsman and try to hatch them. I plan to release them if I can raise them. We just had the field mowed on Friday so she probably laid them between Sat. and today (tuesday).  I know about Coturnix (17 days) but how long do California Quail take to hatch?  About the same?
faro

« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2005, 11:58:57 PM »

Hi Linda,
Valley Quail will hatch in 23 days......Good Luck
lhamid
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2005, 10:17:28 AM »

23 days!  Really!  They are smaller than Coturnix, I thought they'd take the same time or LESS!  Thanks very much faro.  I gathered the eggs last night, she never came back and I am sure they would not have been there this morning. I put 5 of my smallest Coturnix eggs in her nest in case she does come back, will check when I get home from work.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »