Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 02:17:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
TQP Forum has a new look!  Let us know what you think!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  New to quails-egglaying and beyond
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: New to quails-egglaying and beyond  (Read 3981 times)
zanelee

Personal Text

« on: April 27, 2009, 06:31:29 PM »

I received 5 quail (1m and 4 f)
They are laying. I dont' know a thing about how or what they do. Do they sit?
Any info would be appreciated. I want to make them as happy and comfortable as possible.
(These birds are basically pets, not food or anthing else)
TIA!
Jennifer
kingwolf
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2009, 06:58:24 PM »

What do you mean they "sit?" do they lay on their eggs? or by sitting do you mean they rest? i think you are saying, do they rest and yes they do they will lay down but they do not literally "sit"b ty2

Chukar Partridge, California Valley Quail, Gambel Quail, Mountain Quail, Chestnut Blue Scale Quail, Snowflake Mexican Speckle, Tennessee Reds, Georgia Giants, Blonde Bobwhites, Dark cross bobwhites and always growing!
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2009, 06:59:35 PM »

Depends on the pen they are kept in.
I also found they'll sit better in pairs.
At least for Bobwhites and Valley Quail.

You have ?
zanelee

Personal Text

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2009, 11:43:12 AM »

Sorry, I guess I should have clarified. They are bobwhite, and I was meaning, do they sit on their eggs like chickens do? Or are they incubated under the materials in their nests?
Should I just pull the eggs? How would I know if they are fertile and possibly developing?
Thanks again!
Jennifer
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2009, 12:10:56 PM »

Quote from: Reeves
Depends on the pen they are kept in.

agd2

zanelee.............What kind of pen are you talking about, inside/outdoors/demensions/desert/grass?  I believe that Reeves is talking about a large "outdoor pen" with one female and one male and also alot of privacy, etc., etc., etc.  A somewhat natural, private setting.

If you want answers to your questions faster, you'll have to do alot of this... rd3 .  It's spring in most parts and everyone is busy. Including me.

s016

« Last Edit: April 28, 2009, 12:27:04 PM by CharlieHorse » Logged

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
TENNESSERED

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2009, 01:32:38 PM »

Hello Jennifer,
    Hope you enjoy raising and keeping your quail.  As far as your questions go.  Bobwhites do not generally get broody in captivity.  On occassion you might have a hen  sit and hatch a clutch, but usually you will have to incubate the eggs.  If you have found a few in the pen (large or small) they could be fertile and if you have an incubator you can start incubating them.  In 5 to 7 days you can take a flashlight and candle them and you will see the chick starting to grow.  That is how you can tell if they are fertile.  If the egg is clear with no blood vessels they will not develop. 
      Bobwhites like a large pen.  I have a small covey that I have had for two years of eight birds.  They live in my pea fowl pen which is about 500 s.f.  They really love this because they have 12' of height and it gives them a chance to fly around as well as being on the ground where they can scratch in the dirt.  If you can't make them a large pen on the ground they can do very well in smaller pens.  For 5 birds a pen built 4 to six feet long and two foot wide and high will hold them nicely.  make sure you have a small woden box or plastic basin to hold dirt and sand for them to clean their feathers in.  Hope you enjoy your quail!

P.S.  for a special treat I save my old bread scraps.  My bobs love them!
sam-e jo

Personal Text

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2009, 03:39:41 PM »

Hello I am new to bob whites to! I have a covey of 3 males and 8 females. Most of the time my bobs just lay there eggs were ever and don't sit on them, I read that they don't normally hatch them in captivity. I just put 26 eggs in the incubator yesterday, it will be my first batch of eggs I have gotten from them! I wish you lots of luck with your quail, I know you will enjoy them I do they are so funny to watch. My quails favorit treats are grapes and dandylions, I have tamed one of them and have her eating them from my hands,LOL.
zanelee

Personal Text

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2009, 06:09:10 AM »

Thanks guys. That's kind of what I was thinking.
Their pen is outdoor with a covered area for element protection. It's about 10feet long and 5feet wide with an arch for the top (Maybe about 4feet high)
They have lots of areas for hiding and scratching. Thanks so much!
My kids have been feeding them any grubs and such that we find as we work our garden. They just love watching them go for the worm.
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2009, 08:53:16 AM »

Or are they incubated under the materials in their nests?

They are not Megapodes !   s020
sam-e jo

Personal Text

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2009, 10:58:56 AM »

When I go to reptile shows I always pic them up a hundred meal worms. s020
bobhunter

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2009, 06:12:43 PM »

Jen, Have ya got an incubator?
bobhunter

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2009, 01:27:11 PM »

I've had a few bobs go broody and set on their own eggs over the years (under lean-tos) along the outer edge of some of the pens. This has been at end of season after I stopped gathering eggs.
sam-e jo

Personal Text

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2009, 02:08:15 PM »

I have a very broody hen and one of the males will sit to. She is always sitting in the nest if there are eggs in there, I am thinking of leaving a few in there to see what happens.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »