Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 09:08:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Buy & Sell Gamebirds online!
Click Here for TQP Auction & Ads
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Our Member's Section
| |-+  New or Existing Member's Section
| | |-+  Hello from New York City
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Hello from New York City  (Read 4700 times)
thelight

Nothing but the chin

« on: June 16, 2010, 10:55:03 PM »

Borough of Queens, Rego Park to be more exact. I was introduced to this world of game breeding from a friend way up north who's picking up 10 or so quail for me in the next few weeks.
So I'm here to learn, and hopefully to eat, eventually.  :grin:
thelight

Nothing but the chin

« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2010, 10:46:57 PM »

Well, it was a long round about route, but I finally got my first five quail.  j2

Unfortunately the guy I got them from got the genders confused (and I didn't write down the difference  :cry: ) so I have three males and two females. I'm going to try to get another female or two tomorrow if I can.

Also, one seems to be standing only on one leg and is limping. So I'm off to a bit of a rocky start... At least it's a start.
slider
Expert Member

What do you mean I have to press 1 for english.

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2010, 04:29:23 AM »

Congradulations on your birds but you really need to get you a cage/pen with 1/2 x 1/2 inch wire on the bottom/floor. The type cage/pen you have them in is really bad for their feet. Good Luck with them..

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
smallfarmTN.

Personal Text

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2010, 07:20:49 PM »

Good luck with your birds Light. th3
thelight

Nothing but the chin

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2010, 01:53:32 PM »

Congradulations on your birds but you really need to get you a cage/pen with 1/2 x 1/2 inch wire on the bottom/floor. The type cage/pen you have them in is really bad for their feet. Good Luck with them..

Thanks for the heads up, I was wondering about that. I'll replace the floor shortly and have already added some cardboard so they can rest their feet.
I'm very surprised at the smell, though. It's really building up in the room where I have them (they share a room with rabbits). I'm probably going to build an outdoor pen in the next few weeks.

Good luck with your birds Light. th3
Thanks! I think I'll need it!
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

EST. 2001 Owner/Operator Located in Slate, WV

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2010, 04:10:56 PM »

Oh jeez...... stp1 Could this be another Birdlover17?

Thanks for the heads up, I was wondering about that. I'll replace the floor shortly and have already added some cardboard so they can rest their feet.
I'm very surprised at the smell, though. It's really building up in the room where I have them (they share a room with rabbits). I'm probably going to build an outdoor pen in the next few weeks.

Another person totally unprepared, and getting into something that should have been researched ahead of receiving any live birds.

Check with the NYS. DEC for permits as well as Queens County, to save yourself some headaches and possibly fines.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
thelight

Nothing but the chin

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2010, 02:15:05 PM »

Pheasant Hollow Farm:
No, not totally unprepared. I've been researching this on and off for a few months now. I bought the cage based on dimension recommendations I found here and figured I could add the 1/2 x 1/2 floor this weekend. I already have the rolls of wire, actually, they're just at my cabin in upstate New York. Have to bring them down. I purchased feed, grit, and feeders/waterers also based on what I've read here. The birds literally fell into my lap at a county fair and as I was having some trouble sourcing just 5 or 6 grown birds, I jumped at the opportunity. At some point, you have to start instead of just researching and planning.

I'm definitely new to this, and never said otherwise. I'm trying to learn from you folks because you're the experts. I'm trying to do right by the birds by posting here to learn how to meet their needs and my goals (eggs for now, more when I move out of the city area later). I had a plan A (cage inside), it's not working as planned (smell more than anticipated even with the "right kind" of litter), so time to move to plan B (outdoor pen). I don't see this as a problem.

Once again  s144

ETA: Who's Birdlover17?
« Last Edit: September 29, 2010, 02:50:17 PM by thelight » Logged
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

EST. 2001 Owner/Operator Located in Slate, WV

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2010, 05:31:41 AM »

Go here: http://www.thatquailplace.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=1797 and start from page 37 and work down.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »