Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 17, 2024, 10:29:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
TQP Forum has a new look!  Let us know what you think!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Our Member's Section
| |-+  Off Topic Discussion and Current Event's
| | |-+  How cold was it this morning by you?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 97 Go Down Print
Author Topic: How cold was it this morning by you?  (Read 481836 times)
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

EST. 2001 Owner/Operator Located in Slate, WV

« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2007, 02:13:02 AM »

Reeves,

I have dropped in from time to time. Good stories and the deer sizes a maze me.

I was thinking of joining, but I really don't know what I can offer.

What do you heat your house with? Do you have any other back up heat source?

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Outside temp @ 2am 31*calm winds cloudy with chance of am rain.

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2007, 06:36:29 AM »

Gas/No. 
Should though ! Cause gas is no good without power: furnace will not turn on.
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2007, 07:04:50 AM »

Gas/No. 
Should though ! Cause gas is no good without power: furnace will not turn on.

I heat with Electric as a backup and my Ashley stove as the main heat source(firewood). I also have a 15kw backup generator just incase the electric goes out. With the gen hook up I can have hot water, TV and basically all the other creature comforts, plus the gen also gives me the elect. to the ceiling fans and the Ashley stove blower for the circulating heat.

Did your temps bottom out this morning as they predicted? No snow here just rain on the way and temps going to hover around 54*

Have a nice day Reeves!

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Damn, I wish this preview and spell check would work :sad: :mad:

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2007, 02:51:31 PM »

Temp at work this morning was -35c (about -21f) Got the hoe started but it wouldn't move ! Sent home, and for some reason they wanted the hoe left running. Not likely going to work in the AM, as they are using poly pipe & the co. policy is to not use it below -20c as it is too dangerous to handle. Heck, in my opinion, it is too dangerious to use below 0c !
aKirA
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2007, 10:32:41 PM »

Starting to get cold here in So. Cali as well. Had to crank up the old heater tonight. 55° F brrrrrr :P
Chukar Breeder
Expert Member

« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2007, 11:07:01 PM »

55*F  :laugh: :laugh: last time we had those temps was about 2 months ago
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2007, 07:44:57 AM »

Well what a miserable day it was yesterday, the high was 54* at 3pm at the Wood/Wirt county line, WV. The rain started yesterday morning at 7am as a light rain and got heavier as the day progressed. Total rain for yesterday was 1.02" We also had wind gusts up to 15mph.

The temps really started to fall after midnight, and were at 42* at 3am, and so far have bottomed out at 36* @ 5:30 this morning with winds @ 5.8mph and cloudy skies.

Today: There calling for variable clouds and windy. Snow flurries or snow showers will continue through the day. Temps nearly steady in the mid 30s. Winds W at 20 to 30 mph. Winds could occasionally gust over 40 mph.

Well I will see what my pond and creek situation looks like this morning when I feed the birds.

The snow flurries have started at 7am this morning with temps @ 33*

Have a nice and productive day if at all possible!

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2007, 11:47:16 PM »

Going down to -22c tonight and 60% chance of snow. I'd say 100% as there is at least a foot on the road by my place & it is really dumping right now. Took me three hours to drive home tonight ! (an hour extra)
Tomorrow 60% again, then 70% for the next day. By the end of this I'll have at least three feet or more in the yard, not counting snow drifts.
I'll be packing my travel bag & be staying closer to the job starting tomorrow ! (company pays for it all anyway)
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2007, 02:01:42 AM »

Going down to -22c tonight and 60% chance of snow. I'd say 100% as there is at least a foot on the road by my place & it is really dumping right now. Took me three hours to drive home tonight ! (an hour extra)
Tomorrow 60% again, then 70% for the next day. By the end of this I'll have at least three feet or more in the yard, not counting snow drifts.
I'll be packing my travel bag & be staying closer to the job starting tomorrow ! (company pays for it all anyway)

Reeves,

I'd say that was a little snow. I guess they have a decent road crew to keep the road clear and salted?

Who clears your driveway and side walk when you aren't home?

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2007, 04:54:44 AM »

As of 1:30am at the Wood/Wirt Countyline in WV, the temps were holding steady at 30* the barometer reading was 29.41 and falling, with cloudy skies and calm winds.

Here it is now 4:41am and the temps are starting to fall. At present it is 29.5* and the barometer is 29.32 and falling with the winds coming from the SW@3.6mph and snow flurries.

Yahoo Weather predicts the following:

Today: Some flurries this morning. Then cloudy skies through the afternoon. High 38F. Winds W at 10 to 20 mph.

Tonight: Cloudy with periods of snow after midnight. Low 27F. Winds light and variable. Chance of snow 80%. Snow accumulating 1 to 3 inches.

Tomorrow: Snow likely. Cold. High 33F. SE winds shifting to NNE at 10 to 15 mph. Chance of snow 80%. 2 to 4 inches of snow expected.

What do you have in the forecast for the next couple of days?

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

« Last Edit: December 04, 2007, 05:01:46 AM by Pheasant Hollow Farm » Logged

Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2007, 06:24:00 AM »

I guess they have a decent road crew to keep the road clear and salted?

Depends on the class of the road. All the class "A" ones get looked after very well. But not many places use salt anymore. They use potash or calcium cloride. Potash is where they get the cc from, it still has some in it and it works at lower temps.
My "side road" will be well packed down before a grader hits it ! He also does my lane way. Doesn'r have to, but he is a good fellow !

Wife shovels some when I'm not here. But let me put it this way. She will never wear out the shovel in her life time  :-D

Temps for the next three day range from highs of -17c to lows of -25c with snow for at least three more days.
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2007, 06:42:20 AM »

I guess they have a decent road crew to keep the road clear and salted?

Depends on the class of the road. All the class "A" ones get looked after very well. But not many places use salt anymore. They use potash or calcium cloride. Potash is where they get the cc from, it still has some in it and it works at lower temps.
My "side road" will be well packed down before a grader hits it ! He also does my lane way. Doesn'r have to, but he is a good fellow !

Wife shovels some when I'm not here. But let me put it this way. She will never wear out the shovel in her life time  :-D

Temps for the next three day range from highs of -17c to lows of -25c with snow for at least three more days.

I still call it salt, even though it isn't. Here I think, calcium cloride and sand is used. For some reason, I think the calcium cloride has a higher rusting factor then the use of the old time salt. What do you think?

I don't envy you on the additional snow amounts at all. I am not really looking for the snow that they are predicting for us in the next 48hrs.

When you stated class "A" roads, is that the primary roads? Here in WV the  State does all the roads. The primary roads are first, then when they get to it, then the secondary roads. Now if you live on a secondary road that has a school bus route, they will treat it as a primary road, unless they close the schools down for a snow day. Then you are screwed, especially if it falls on Friday.

When I lived on Long Island, NY the town took care of the primary and secondary roads in its jurisdiction. Out of the towns area, the county did the county roads, and the state did the state roads.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2007, 10:05:17 AM »

Well, it took me an hour to go what normally takes 15 minutes. Called the foreman and told him to call another person to work today, that lives much closer. It would likely have taken a least 6 hours to go the normal 2 hour drive.
Road shoulders are not plowed & other drivers think they own the center of the road. Was nearly in the ditch 2-3 times trying to avoid a head on !
Not worth it.....

Steve, the class depends on the volume of traffic on the hwy. The only time they'll do the side roads is after all the paved roads are done & in good shape. Seen my road so bad it was 4x4 only & even then it was a major struggle.

Yes, the c-cloride is much harder on any steel.
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2007, 10:14:49 AM »

Yes, the c-cloride is much harder on any steel.

Yeh, and the State already sprayed the highways with it in the middle of last night here.  I can hear my old beater truck rusting as we speak. I only had to be on the highway for about 2 miles this morning and my windsheild is covered with it from other cars on the road.   :x

It's a conspiracy anyway!     :-o    Autos must be lasting too long,..... so they figured out a way to rust them out, ......so we'd have to buy new ones to keep the economy going!!  I know this to be true, because I read it on the internet.    ^-^
« Last Edit: December 04, 2007, 10:16:21 AM by CharlieHorse » Logged

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2007, 06:36:39 PM »

Yer running a GM....it's going to rust out anyway....if it lasts that long  :angel:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 97 Go Up Print 
« previous next »