Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:38:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Hope everyone had a great year.  Welcome to 2013.  Our monthly drawings will be starting back soon!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  i am woundering on what i can do
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: i am woundering on what i can do  (Read 20567 times)
woodenegg
« Reply #45 on: June 09, 2006, 12:13:00 AM »

Thanks for your input.  I think we are all in agreement that the outburst you have noted was wrong and he was brought up short for it.  I am also certain he understands that it was wrong and has made efforts to not go there again.  That said, we all need to get past it.  I think we all can be bigger than that and get back to the business at hand which is sharing knowledge/mistakes/successes and even differing opinions about gamebirds.
zip
« Reply #46 on: June 09, 2006, 11:01:52 AM »

You hang in there 14Yoquailfarmer. Ill help you out (Which this forum is suppose to be about) . I didnt realize that this forum was for perfect people only. If you cant say anything to help someone out its better not to say anything at all.
NotreDame
« Reply #47 on: June 09, 2006, 04:48:35 PM »

Amen brother!
jchiar
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #48 on: June 09, 2006, 05:59:18 PM »

You hang in there 14Yoquailfarmer. Ill help you out (Which this forum is suppose to be about) . I didnt realize that this forum was for perfect people only. If you cant say anything to help someone out its better not to say anything at all.
               YEAH LETS CODDLE EVERYBODY ,NO SENSE TELLING THE WAY IT IS YOU MAY HURT SOMEBODYS  FEELINGS, OH SORRY IF I AM NOT POLITICLY CORRECT  BUT I BELIEVE IN TELLING PEOPLE THE WAY IT IS.  DONT LIKE IT T.....S...
magnumhntr
Expert Member

« Reply #49 on: June 09, 2006, 08:50:12 PM »

I think this thread has outlived its usefulness.

Larry, please lock this one. It's not very positive.

Chris Morehouse
www.mmgamebirds.com
Located in Southwest Michigan
buttonquail
« Reply #50 on: June 10, 2006, 01:15:58 AM »

I'm not an expert, but I just use Purina Game Bird Chow, Startena with 30% protein.  The bob whites seem to do OK with growing and breeding, with more eggs than I have space for.  They also like lettuce.  Goood luk 2 u
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #51 on: June 10, 2006, 01:25:55 AM »

I think this thread has outlived its usefulness.

Larry, please lock this one. It's not very positive.

Sorry to disagree, but I do believe that this post has or should i say...."should" have been a very positive learning experience for one person in particular if nothing else. That alone would make it all very useful in all aspects of life.

I do believe they have been forgiven.

Funny how strangers will jump to excuse and defend those whom intentionally/purposely offend others. No wonder this country is the way it is......no one is accountable for their actions.

JMO......Thanks

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
jbobs
« Reply #52 on: June 11, 2006, 03:59:55 PM »

I was just poking around, but I felt compelled to add my two cents to this, wanted or not.

I started raising quail when I was 14 years old as well. I had no idea what I was getting into and I had a lot of really stupid questions that most of us experienced game bird raisers take for granted. I found all the information I needed from the people on this forum. They were all very patient with me and answered my questions without any quams.

That was 6 years ago. I am now 20 years old and have successfully bred and raised 5 different species of quail, plus chickens. I have reared Turkies to maturity a number of times. Six years ago I was a 14 year old kid, scared to death of all you expert guys, and now I've come leaps and bounds from where I was before. I do not claim to be an expert, but the encouragmeent I recieved from this site and the support of others made game birds a lifelong interest for me.

Now, unlike our new 14 year old kid, I have always excelled in spelling and grammar and I have already started to pursue writing professionally. That doesn't exempt me from making a few mistakes here and there, I'll add. My fingers type faster than my brain knows how to control them. 14 year old here can't write to save his/her life, that's obvious. What's not obvious about me is that I can't add or subtract to save my life. I still count on my fingers. It's just the way I am. I took easy math in school, and because of that, I still managed to get straight As. You can't see my horrible math skills, but if you could, would you make fun of me for it? You might say, "Come on, Jessi, you STINK at math! This is grade 3 stuff!" and we'd both laugh about it. Some people are good at some things and not at others.

But whether he can spell or I can add shouldn't affect just how successful we can be as game bird enthusiasts.

This 14 year old is interested in cultivating game birds AND training raptors. Training raptors is always something I've wanted to do. If this kid is interested in animals and is taking on projects like this on his own instead of vandalizing, stealing, and doing drugs (which he may or may not do, I don't know him, but from my general experience kids who have hobbies are less likely to do this kind of stuff) then I commend him for that. I wouldn't want to be the one to show him that adults will call you on every mistake you make and make things tough on him. I want to be the one to encourage him. It's better than having another dead head lost cause kid on the street with nothing better to do than get drunk or high. He might not be able to spell or write even his own name, but he has ambition. If he didn't have ambition, he wouldn't be here asking you guys for help.

Granted, that post he made was absurd and inappropriate, and hopefully someone explained to him an an adult way that this is not how you deal with differences in opinion. This is a professional forum, and our profession is game birds. Kids have to learn what professionalism is, and there's a few people here that, in my opinion, are not setting a very good example.

There's nothing wrong with saying stuff the way it is. I believe that it's the best way, myself. But "the way it is" for you isn't nessesarily "the way it is" for others. There's nothing wrong with saying what you want, it's a free country. If what you want to say is rude or disrespectful, say it, just remember that people are going to label you. I have the foulest mouth of anyone I know, but you'd never know that by reading a piece of my writing or upon first meeting me. I can be so hick and redneck it isn't funny sometimes, but in public, when surrounded by professionals, I strive to professional.

Please, everyone, give this a thought. It's just my thought, you can take it or leave it. I won't hold it against you if you disagree.

To the kid, and any other kids out there: don't give up on things that you enjoy, things that you're good at, or things that challenge you. Keep trying, and listen carefully to all people. It doesn't mean you have to agree, just listen. You'll never please everyone, but try your best. Don't take it personally if you can't. Sometimes you deserve the flak that's thrown at you, and if you do, swallow your pride and take it, and learn from your mistakes. If you don't deserve it, brush it off. It'll keep comming for as long as you live.
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #53 on: June 11, 2006, 04:13:29 PM »

I was just poking around, but I felt compelled to add my two cents to this, wanted or not.

I started raising quail when I was 14 years old as well. I had no idea what I was getting into and I had a lot of really stupid questions that most of us experienced game bird raisers take for granted. I found all the information I needed from the people on this forum. They were all very patient with me and answered my questions without any quams.

That was 6 years ago. I am now 20 years old and have successfully bred and raised 5 different species of quail, plus chickens. I have reared Turkies to maturity a number of times. Six years ago I was a 14 year old kid, scared to death of all you expert guys, and now I've come leaps and bounds from where I was before. I do not claim to be an expert, but the encouragmeent I recieved from this site and the support of others made game birds a lifelong interest for me.

Now, unlike our new 14 year old kid, I have always excelled in spelling and grammar and I have already started to pursue writing professionally. That doesn't exempt me from making a few mistakes here and there, I'll add. My fingers type faster than my brain knows how to control them. 14 year old here can't write to save his/her life, that's obvious. What's not obvious about me is that I can't add or subtract to save my life. I still count on my fingers. It's just the way I am. I took easy math in school, and because of that, I still managed to get straight As. You can't see my horrible math skills, but if you could, would you make fun of me for it? You might say, "Come on, Jessi, you STINK at math! This is grade 3 stuff!" and we'd both laugh about it. Some people are good at some things and not at others.

But whether he can spell or I can add shouldn't affect just how successful we can be as game bird enthusiasts.

This 14 year old is interested in cultivating game birds AND training raptors. Training raptors is always something I've wanted to do. If this kid is interested in animals and is taking on projects like this on his own instead of vandalizing, stealing, and doing drugs (which he may or may not do, I don't know him, but from my general experience kids who have hobbies are less likely to do this kind of stuff) then I commend him for that. I wouldn't want to be the one to show him that adults will call you on every mistake you make and make things tough on him. I want to be the one to encourage him. It's better than having another dead head lost cause kid on the street with nothing better to do than get drunk or high. He might not be able to spell or write even his own name, but he has ambition. If he didn't have ambition, he wouldn't be here asking you guys for help.

Granted, that post he made was absurd and inappropriate, and hopefully someone explained to him an an adult way that this is not how you deal with differences in opinion. This is a professional forum, and our profession is game birds. Kids have to learn what professionalism is, and there's a few people here that, in my opinion, are not setting a very good example.

There's nothing wrong with saying stuff the way it is. I believe that it's the best way, myself. But "the way it is" for you isn't nessesarily "the way it is" for others. There's nothing wrong with saying what you want, it's a free country. If what you want to say is rude or disrespectful, say it, just remember that people are going to label you. I have the foulest mouth of anyone I know, but you'd never know that by reading a piece of my writing or upon first meeting me. I can be so hick and redneck it isn't funny sometimes, but in public, when surrounded by professionals, I strive to professional.

Please, everyone, give this a thought. It's just my thought, you can take it or leave it. I won't hold it against you if you disagree.

To the kid, and any other kids out there: don't give up on things that you enjoy, things that you're good at, or things that challenge you. Keep trying, and listen carefully to all people. It doesn't mean you have to agree, just listen. You'll never please everyone, but try your best. Don't take it personally if you can't. Sometimes you deserve the flak that's thrown at you, and if you do, swallow your pride and take it, and learn from your mistakes. If you don't deserve it, brush it off. It'll keep comming for as long as you live.

I'm somewhat guilty of it myself, but I think everyone had given it a rest until you put it at the top of the page with your first post, how about we give it a rest? I was hoping to see this baby run off the bottom of the main page. Every respectful person is welcome here I believe. Nice first post by the way.........welcome.

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
« previous next »