Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 01, 2024, 11:45:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
TQP Forum has a new look!  Let us know what you think!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Our Member's Section
| |-+  Off Topic Discussion and Current Event's
| | |-+  Fence poles
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Fence poles  (Read 51245 times)
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #60 on: September 05, 2007, 07:49:16 AM »

Thanks Steve !

Yup, land is fairly flat. Would have been even more flat if I had a lazer this past weekend ! It really should have been worked before the poles. It will be harder to shape now the poles are in place....
Also, the line in the last picture, goes two more poles, down into the creek. Plan on fencing right to creek edge, to (help) prevent critters (Deer and Coyotes) from using it as a travel lane.
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

EST. 2001 Owner/Operator Located in Slate, WV

« Reply #61 on: September 05, 2007, 10:25:06 AM »

Reeves,

If I were to even consider fencing my perimeter it would be more then a task for me. I don't have any flat area on the three sides of my property. The only half way flat is along my creek. The rest runs up hill from a minimum 15* to 30*and I have three huge gorges that rain water run of the mountain down into my ponds. There is some cattle fencing and barb wire that is there but most of it is down do to tree falls and rust. Just to haul repair fencing up is a real pain in the arse.

Also I think any fencing in my state above 6 foot has to have at least one open area to let the states wildlife to come and go. Any totally enclosed area (property perimeter closure) has to have the DNR approval and all wild deer removed from the property, since it is illegal to harbor wild deer in my state.

I would venture on at least $70,000.00 plus to do the permeter on the 15ac. from a commercial contractor who knows what they are doing.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #62 on: September 05, 2007, 04:16:16 PM »

Reeves,
picture taken from up a hill behind the barn.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #63 on: September 05, 2007, 04:19:31 PM »

Side view of barn

Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #64 on: September 05, 2007, 04:23:41 PM »

Top wooded area back 15ac.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2007, 04:26:46 PM by Pheasant Hollow Farm » Logged

Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #65 on: September 05, 2007, 04:28:33 PM »

on the hill looking towards the pond

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #66 on: September 05, 2007, 09:36:51 PM »

I'd trade my place for yours in a heart beat !

You must see tons of game passing through ?

Also I think any fencing in my state above 6 foot has to have at least one open area to let the states wildlife to come and go. Any totally enclosed area (property perimeter closure) has to have the DNR approval and all wild deer removed from the property, since it is illegal to harbor wild deer in my state.

Here, with the proper fencing and permits, you can keep Elk, Mule Deer, White Tail Deer, Bison etc. But the only Province in Canada where you cannot keep Fallow Deer. You can have many different species of other exotics as well. But as you said, no "wild" ones.
Alberta Ag has to approve the fence & land.
As far as fencing, I didn't look into any permits. Normal for me  :laugh:
I'm told I need a permit to push poles as deep as I did, but I strongly doubt anyone will dig up one to see how deep they really are !

I would venture on at least $70,000.00 plus to do the permeter on the 15ac. from a commercial contractor who knows what they are doing.
I was thinking mine would have cost about 20-30k if someone put mine up. May very well been very wrong on that number ! But all the posts I'll put in will be steel, and free. Plus the hoe to push them in is free. My only costs will be to buy the fencing.
With your land being up to 30 degrees slopes, I'm thinking you have rock not far under the top soil ?

I may not know much about fencing, but I have seen many ! I also know I'm over-killing big time ! But I'm thinking down the road, it will raise the price of this place a huge amount.
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #67 on: September 05, 2007, 09:39:18 PM »

and where is t-boss ?
Sulking about all that steel rusting in the ground ?

:angel:
jk
Expert Member

« Reply #68 on: September 05, 2007, 11:04:08 PM »

Niiice work!  :laugh: Looks great... Next thing on the list after the fence is a guard tower, then a bunch of illegal firearms, then you can hire mercenaries!  :laugh:

American Game Bantams, Wood Ducks, and Mandarins.
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #69 on: September 06, 2007, 05:47:11 AM »

Reeves,

Some pictures of the deer at the house.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #70 on: September 06, 2007, 05:48:26 AM »

Deer out my bedroom window in the morning.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #71 on: September 06, 2007, 05:49:43 AM »

Here is an 8 pt out the bedroom window.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #72 on: September 06, 2007, 07:34:40 AM »

When I first bought this place, it was common to see 10-12 White Tail and/or Mule Deer in the yard each day, sometimes bed down for the night.
Wife said "NO SHOOTING Deer in the yard, or they won't come back"!
By the end of the second summer, she told me I could shoot as many as I could !
They get into her gardens, wreck trees etc  :laugh:
Still haven't taken one. But one reason for the big fence, is to keep them out. Healthy (and fat) Mule Deer here. Next place south of here feeds silage all winter to his cattle. So they spend the winter at his place. Many locals tease him about "his" herd of Deer !
I see he reciently put up a dozen grain bins. He may have needed to keep more grain over the winter for his herds of cattle and Deer  :laugh:
The Muley that spent the hot months in my pole barn was/is a nice one. It was hard to tell how nice he was going to be, as last time I saw him he was still in velvet. 4x4 for sure, haven't seen him lately to see how much bulk.
Also had two (smallish) Bull Moose spend a few weeks in the field next to me. Cool to see, although the damage they likely caused to the barley will not impress the farmer  :laugh:

Side note, Steve, a place much smaller than yours , next road over from me went this summer for 525k. Another place just up the road is going for 420k, and it is smaller than my place, nicer home though.
If you could move your land here, you could likely get enough to retire !
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #73 on: September 06, 2007, 08:26:16 AM »

This thread has too many pictures for dialup!  :evil:

Now that is a fence!  Very nice Reeves, very impressive.  Are you sure that isn't some sort of government project and you're taking credit for it?   :angel:  How do you install the razor wire without getting all chewed up?

I'm like "Pheasant Hollow", it's a major undertaking around here to just put up any kind of fence, straight-up and down, valleys, trees, etc.  I sometimes wonder how they used to do it without all the fancy equipment that there is nowadays?

and where is t-boss ?
Sulking about all that steel rusting in the ground ?

:angel:

LOL!   Been very busy.   Kids are back in school and now it's all me, me, me!!........and quail!   :grin:

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
murphys42002

« Reply #74 on: September 06, 2007, 09:59:19 AM »

I just patch my fence and when the land sells next to me I let the new land ownes pay for the new fence. LOL YEP thats right, they pay for it!!! I only need someone to buy the land north of me now and all the fence will be fairly new.I've been asked to split the cost before but as far as I see it if the fence keeps my horses in its good.They are building a new (the only one around for miles) housing track right behind me.These house are going to cost millions and I think the developer can pay for the fence since my taxes are going to go threw the roof!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Its going to mess up my hunting too!!I'm ticked so I hope they like guns. I take my dog out at least every other day and the shotgun goes too.If they start shooting my Quail its going to be all out war. LOL

OOPS I got off track. Very nice fence you have going there Reeves.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 Go Up Print 
« previous next »