Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:07:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Hope everyone had a great year.  Welcome to 2013.  Our monthly drawings will be starting back soon!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Incubation
| | |-+  looking for some advice after my first hatching
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: looking for some advice after my first hatching  (Read 3282 times)
AlaskaBirds

Personal Text

« on: May 27, 2010, 03:00:13 AM »

I need some help.  I just finished my first try at incubating bob white eggs.  I ordered 100 eggs and attempted to hatch them all together.  I purchased a  2362N Circulated Air Hova-Bator
with the egg turner.  I was able to keep the temperature at 100 degrees constantly very small adjustments.  I filled the water tray every 3 to 4 days.  Never had humity show on the viewing glass.  At day 20 I removed the eggs from  turner and added water to the second tray.  At day 23 my first birds hatched.  I removed those birds after about 8 hours.  I then removed birds every 4 hours during the day and then in the morning.  I had only 31 birds hatch of the 95.  I had a couple that did not make it out of the shell.  I have looked at the unhatched shells and it appears that most of the bird developed well until probably day 20 or so.  Any ideas where I went wrong.

Thanks for your help. 
AlaskaBirds

Personal Text

« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2010, 03:08:20 AM »

Some additional Info.  I did not turn down the temp after day 20.  Temp stayed at 100 degrees until the end.
eggselant

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2010, 01:27:50 AM »

I'm sure some the experts here will step in and comment but do take in concideration that those eggs were shipped.Who knows how carefull they were with your shipment.I've had some hatch percentages like that also with shipped eggs.But congrats on your 31 chicks.Hope they all make it.And maybe nest year when they start laying you'll have a better hatch rate.Hang in there and good luck.
slider
Expert Member

What do you mean I have to press 1 for english.

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2010, 09:26:39 PM »

I know that you were disappointed but for your first attempt and the kind of inc. that you were using thats not to bad...Sounds like your humidity was to high and the chicks drown because of a to small air sac.. Do some reading on humidity and get you a meter for your next hatch...

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2010, 10:58:57 AM »

agd2

I use more than one hygrometer.  Just filling the trays as recommended by the manufacturer will get the humidity close, but the ambient temperatures, humidity, and depending on how many vent holes you have or don't have open in the incubator will also effect humidity levels.   Don't know how much a difference it makes, but I always set the temp at 99.5 on air circulated incubators.  Some also recommend lowering the temp one degree for last 3 days.  There's more info to read under the "Incubation" section too.

Good Luck!!
« Last Edit: May 30, 2010, 11:11:32 AM by CharlieHorse » Logged

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »