Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 02, 2024, 12:55:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Adding Pictures to your message is EASY! 
While creating a topic, click on ADDITIONAL OPTIONS and then the Browse
button. Select a picture file from your computer and your done!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Incubation
| | |-+  need help picking a incubator
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: need help picking a incubator  (Read 3507 times)
backcountry
Expert Member

« on: March 22, 2009, 12:12:52 AM »

im have ? about witch one to get
 1  gqf 1588
2 brower top hatch

what would u get pro and cons?
RedOakGamebirds
Administrator
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2009, 10:21:16 AM »

Couldnt tell you anything about the Brower as I dont use them but the pro's on the 1588 are definately the digital pre-set thermostat.  You just plug it in, add the water and go.  Plus you also have the capability of converting it to DC if you ever needed to use a battery, vehicle power, etc.  Its a huge seller on our website.  Its perfect for schools because of the thermostat and also the clear top to see the eggs. 

Larry

We manufacture egg shipping foam!
Pollorum/Typhoid/Avian Free
NPIP 52-186
Member NAGA and Virginia Game Bird Asociation
backcountry
Expert Member

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2009, 12:18:25 PM »

the brower is a electronic also i believe
makesmiles

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2009, 02:00:41 PM »

I have both incubators.  The Brower is easier to clean and works best for the larger jumbo brown Corturnix eggs.  The turner for the GQF is a little too small for those eggs, but it does work.  The Brower rolls the eggs back and forth.  The one thing that bothers me about that is the eggs will sometimes turn upside down in the rolling process.  I just remove the lid and turn them down again.  This doesn't seem to affect the hatch.  The Browner also requires that you completely fill the pie shaped sections with eggs for the turning process to work properly.  However, you could just add marbles to help fill the spaces.  The Brower is somewhat noisy and uses a candelabra bulb for heat.  If you put the Brower in a room where you don't have to listen to it, it will be okay.  I have mine in my office and I have become accustom to the sound, so it doesn't bother me anymore.  I kinda like the light idea because they are easy to replace and I keep spares bought from WalMart.  Both incubators have clear tops so you can look inside.  The GQF uses 1/4" wire mesh (uncoated) on the bottom and it curls up.  I have to add weight (wood pieces) to the corners to weight it down during hatching to keep the chicks from going under it to the water or getting cut on the wire.  All my efforts to flatten it have failed.  The Brower uses 1/4" coated wire mesh which works much better.  Also the triangular turning mechanism sits on the wire which keeps it flat and is not removed for hatching.  The GQF comes preset to 99.5 and holds very well with only slight fluctuations.  The Brower also comes preset (supposedly) however I had to play with mine to get it just right.  Once set, it seems to hold as well as the GQF.  It is also easier to add water to the Brower during the incubation process.  You can add water to the GQF without removing the turner, but it is difficult.  I always just remove the turner.  The Brower just pours in around the eggs.  If the bator is full, I sometimes only have to move a few eggs out of the way to add water.  The Brower is all plastic, so it is sturdier than the Styrofoam and it is dishwasher safe.  A draw back to the Brower is that it uses small (probably 1/16") stainless ball bearings for the turning mechanism to roll on.  These ball bearings can be easily lost during assembly or disassembly.  So be careful there.  Brower says they are working to solve this problem.  It seems to me that they could add a few extras (maybe double the amount) to take care of any losses, but they don't.  Also, it seems that using Teflon inserts would eliminate the ball bearings all together.  The Brower also holds a few more eggs than the GQF.

All in all, I tend to like the Brower best.  This is due primarily to ease of cleaning, adding water, the wire mesh, more sturdy...it's just easier.  However, if you are placing the bator in an area that you occupy often (i.e., living room, bedroom, etc.) you may want to go with the GQF because of the sound and the light going on and off with the Brower.

I hope this helps.

Thanks David
backcountry
Expert Member

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2009, 05:16:46 PM »

thanks =this is exactly wat i need to know i will get the brower 

thanks again tim
swill1171

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2009, 12:23:25 AM »

I have had both & I kept the Brower for the small hatches & gotten rid of the GQF gave them to a friend & told them to never give them back to me even if I needed one to borrow . love the Brower. I mainly use larger cabnet types now . had a higher hatch rate from the Brower.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »