Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 07:29:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Adding Pictures to your message is EASY! 
While creating a topic, click on ADDITIONAL OPTIONS and then the Browse
button. Select a picture file from your computer and your done!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Incubation
| | |-+  Need quick question anwsered
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Need quick question anwsered  (Read 4317 times)
Bobwhite quail24
« on: February 02, 2006, 06:42:10 PM »

Ok this is my first time hatching eggs (tuxedo cortunix), as you all probably seen with the great bunch of posts I have put on this site. Well If I calculated right, and please if I am wrong. Ok I have a digital thermometer hygrometer adn the temp is running like it should be, I beleave redoak or someone else told me 46-54 humidity would be good then on the final 3 days raise it to 56-65. Also I put the eggs in on Jan 21, so then on Feb 4 I should take them out of the egg turner, and they should start hatching Feb 7. Again please correct me if I am wrong, and a great big Thanx to all of you that have helped me out these past couple weeks.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2006, 06:21:09 AM by Bobwhite quail24 » Logged
deadeye1

« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2006, 03:06:37 AM »

wrong.Take them out of the egg turner Feb .10.Last 3 days out of turner for 23 days of incubation for Bob white.

I was on this forum before,But some how i lost my idenity
jchiar
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2006, 05:31:20 AM »

they are not bobs
stewaw
Expert Member

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2006, 08:56:31 AM »

The best advice I can offer as to "when do I take them out of the turner" is three days before their "target" hatch date.  Count the days of incubation as follows: Placed the eggs in the turner at (say 8:00am) on Jan 21, then at 8:00am on Jan 22 you have just completed "day one".  The easiest trick for me is to count "nights" and not dates on a calendar. Also, the criticality of removing the eggs three days before hatching is not written in stone...It's simply a means to allow the chick to orient upwards for hatching and avoid injuring/killing chicks (by getting them caught/pinched by the turner) if your average temp. during incubation was a little high due to a malfunctioning thermometer or you made an error in calculating the hatch date. The object is to "try" to avoid hatching chicks in a auto turner. Seems kind of simple but trust me, incubate enough and it WILL happen because you screwed up or forgot. In the wild, the hens continue to turn an adjust the eggs right up to hatching...in fact the during the actual hatch, already hatched chicks running around roll the other eggs around like crazy and they still do fine. Keep your chin up and don't fret to much over this. Also if they don't hatch according to your calculations-  don't let that get you discouraged....I've had them hatch as late as four days and do fine.  My prediction is that you will have a few chicks running around and/or pipping in your incubator when you wake up on the morning or Feb 8 with the majority hatching the evening of Feb 8 and continueing to hatch until the evening of Feb 9. I would remove them from the turner on the evening of Feb 5, top off the water and watch some TV.

Good Luck, You're doing fine,
David
« Last Edit: February 05, 2006, 08:58:07 AM by stewaw » Logged
deadeye1

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2006, 01:53:58 AM »

I'm interested in how BobWhite24 tuxedo quail hatch came out and what is the incubation time to hatch so i can adjust my hatch to his if it is a success.

Bobwhite quail24
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2006, 02:55:03 PM »

Well none yet :(
deadeye1

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2006, 02:28:10 AM »

Your eggs were started Jan.21st to Feb is only 10 days.I don't know the days of incubation time for tuxedo quail,But today would be the 20th day.If you take them out of the egg turner to early and they hatch they will glue themselves to the egg membrane because the eggs were not turned prior to the 3 days before the hatch.If they lay 6 or 7 days in the hatcher or out of the egg turner with the humidity to high to early could effect the hatch.Incubating eggs is easy,But you must know the incubation time for the type of bird so as you can take them out of the turner 3 days b/4 the hatch to minimize any problems for best results.Bob whites is 23 days,I take out of turner 20th day and up the humdity to 80%.I know some quail have shorter incubation,But only by 3 or 4 days.You still have time for them to hatch.Good luck to Feb13 or 14 Depending on the temp of 99.5 for turbo fan or 101 to 102 still air.After hatch 99 to 95 first week in brooder.Deadeye

stewaw
Expert Member

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2006, 08:51:39 PM »

Perhaps I missed something here. Can someone that hatches tuxedo's jump in with the incubation period?  I "thought" they were a variety of Coturnix with an incubation period of 18 days? If so, then my calculations placed Feb 8th as the "early" with the 9th as my probable hatch date.   If they have a different incubation period then I offer my most humble apology.  Since we are sitting at now day 20, it's either I goofed on the 18 days or the temp problems you had is showing up. Has there been any activity? piping, or chirping?

David
aKirA
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2006, 09:02:00 PM »

yes tux is a cotournix and should take an average of 17 days. if going on 20, the temp may have been on the low end if they hatch at all.
quailer370
Expert Member

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2006, 11:38:36 PM »

watch the humidity.

-quailer

life's like a bucket of wood shavings, except when the shavings are in a pail...then life's like a PAIL of wood shavings :D
deadeye1

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2006, 02:03:43 AM »

Your calculations were right Stewaw for a 17 day incubation period.His temprature may have been on the low side.or a lot of other things.They should have hatched by now.It has been 21 or 22 days. There are a lot of info that we do not know like outside temperature fluctuation.egg handling.fertillity,sterility of incubator and eggs.It is best to get the correct info b/4 starting to incubate eggs.Deadeye

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »