Raising Gamebirds > Build It Yourself

My Aviaries

(1/7) > >>

Reeves:
This picture is looking north, at the south side of the pen. The first 12' is treated wood and will be stained this summer so it matches the rest of the wood. You can see some lath in the pen, it is covered with wire so the Con Easter will survive the Amherst. When it has grown high enough the wire/lath shall be removed.
Note that the wire is just normal 1" chicken wire. I am installing a chain link predator fence at this time. The posts are concreted in, around the whole front yard. The 6' fence goes up this weekend, and the 3' bottom underground will be installed this weekend as well.
The "house" is 5'x8'. Tin sides and roof. The sand bath and grit area is covered. The Amherst side starts at the house, extends 36 feet out & extends away from you , in an L shape. They have 576 sq. ft. run.
The ribbon has been put all the way around. It is so Deer can see something & not blow through the pen. When the fence is done, the ribbon will come down.
Note the gillotine type door on their house. It is closed each night, opened in the early AM. Not even a mouse can get inside at night.
House is wired, so heat/light. Also a heated water dish for the winter.
Both pics taken May 1st.

In this next picture you can see that on the inside of the L shape, I built a run for my Quail. The small "house" is 10'x4'x2'. The green covered part is heated. The next section, where you see clear plastic is their food and water area, next a grit area, next their sand bath. From that end the can enter their grassed and landscaped area. The "house" is devided down the center, so 20 sq. ft. , then the run for each side is 72 sq. ft. = 92 sq. ft. for each pair of California Valley Quail I have in there. In there runs I planted Dwarf Mugo Pine(one side) and Dwarf Cedars(other side) and red and black Currants in each side. Grass & clover base. I replced the wire on this small pen with welded wire, after the Badger attack last year. Stainless screws and washers to attach it.
This picture is looking south, at the north side of the pen.

Reeves:
My Valley male watching for predators, because his 8 chicks are out in the run

The light colored wood in the back ground is another pen...

Reeves:

I work in the bush and often find some interesting wood. The above tree has been placed in the Amherst pen. Works as a decorative and roof support.

http://www.thatquailplace.com/smf/index.php?topic=3540.0

Reeves:
Since it is mainly the wife that has to deal with my Reeves, I built a guillotine style door. (I also have them on all my bird "houses", as they are locked each night & opened each early morning, year round)
In this first picture is the east side. When we want him inside, we just walk over by the window, in he goes & up on a ledge. We then lower the door to keep him in , so we can do what is needed in the run. To keep him out of the "house" we just stand next to the wire & while he tries to remove my knee caps, close the door. We can then work inside without him ripping our legs off.

The next two pictures are how the door was made.

In this next one the door has been opened, with me in the pen (fast picture !)

This building and run is going next spring. Going to build a new "house" and a much larger run. (Goldens in the far side) So, if you see something you don't like, too bad  :lol:

Reeves:

In the above picture is the sand bath and grit area for the Golden. I first build a frame out of 2x4s, then fill and stomp down 3/4" drain rock. When it is level with the top, I then staple a felt like filter cloth over the frame. Then build another frame on top of that, fill with sand/grit.
This lets it drain very well and even after a rain it drys out very fast. All my pens sand/grit areas have a roof over them as well.

This next picture is of the Reeves side. I have lots to do yet. For one, I have to finish the Golden expansion. I'll also be re-building their house (I'll explain more later).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version