Raising Gamebirds > Build It Yourself

My Aviaries

<< < (2/7) > >>

Reeves:
I moved to this place about 3.5 years ago. So much has not been finished & much has to be planed out, and too many projects on the go. Priorities have to be set...like my shop. Woodpeckers have made a mess of the north and east sides, now I have to replace 10-15 sheets of plywood, fix/replace some insulation, then get the siding on. So money spent there delays other things , like pens...
Anyway, this is the Reeves (near side) and Golden pen. I plan on where the pen will be, plant trees etc so all will get established before birds are there. Note the flagging tape. Had Deer blow through the pen twice. I have chain link up now & it has kept Deer, Coyotes etc out (3' underground all around).

Another pen and building. I had a Yellow Golden trio in when I moved here. Sold them: down sized till I can catch up.
The trees in the foreground have been removed/trans planted. The two rows of Cedars have been added to. In this picture you are looking south (at the north side of the building).

In this next picture, you are looking sort of north west(ish).
The run is 12'x12' then the sand/grit area = 280 sq. ft. (includes inside of house).

The 8'x14' building came with the place. I moved it to where I wanted it. I then built a floor on the floor, insulated R-20 in the floor, walls and roof. I installed a 110v base board type heater, lights etc.

As well as two sliding double glaze windows.

Reeves:
Ok, some added info....

In the pictures (some 2-3 years old) some changes have been made. In the last one (grey building) the 12'x12' run was removed and used to extend the Reeves pen. I also have much to do to it all. I'll be lifting the building and pouring a concrete base. Then add onto the north side a covered sand/grit area , same as on the south end. Then build the runs. I'll be going 14'x14' on each end. Tin will cover from the snad/grit on the south to north ends (26' long). The runs will make this whole project 110' long.
The Yellow's had a total of 280 sq. ft. when in there (includes house). When finished, each end will be 636 sq. ft. (not including house space). Siding will also cover the outside of the building. More planting as well. Vines to climb the wire.
I will also be going with the plastic coated wire (on all pens , over time).

A note to keep in mind. These pens are not the do all end all of pens. Many people have pens that are better/different. Each time I build, it seems I can find ways to improve the structures in some way.

Reeves:
Don't forget that part of a play ground needs a sand box !
I build a 2x4 frame, put in and stomp down 3/4" drain rock, till level with the top of that frame. Cover/attach a filter cloth (like thick felt) . Then build another frame. This allows it to dry fast. Although this area is covered, the sides are not. They use it year round.
In the picture, I have just changed out the sand and grit. The near hen is in the sand, far hen standing on the grit. Grit is 1/4 minus gravel, with #2 granite grit mixed in: they pick what they want.
Tabo to disturb a Reeves hen sand bathing ! They'll stay put, but they (sort of) growl at anything that gets near.

Sharpshooter:
Thanks for this thread,I picked up some good ideas. Nick

Reeves:
Don't know (without re-reading it all) if I mentioned...no nails were used in any of the constrution: all coated deck screws. Mostly 3".

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version