Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:08:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
TQP Forum has a new look!  Let us know what you think!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Our Member's Section
| |-+  Members Pictures
| | |-+  Fixer-upper for CharlieHorse
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Fixer-upper for CharlieHorse  (Read 17639 times)
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2007, 07:15:47 AM »

I'll bet Chuck is a good story teller round a camp fire  :laugh:

In the first picture, at the top of the ladder, that is a piece of tin, next to a hole where a chimney was. Ladders like this are still used to get up there to clean them...

But Steve hit the nail on the head, I think. It looks to me to have been a school house. The "hall way" behind the pony wall goes door to door. I'm thinking that is where "they" came in, removed dirty foot wear and coats etc. There is even a bench still in there.
I'll try and get a couple more pictures of the inside, but the sun is barely up when I get to work. I'll also ask the inspector for the owners number so I can call and ask more about the building.
Cool building ! I came very close to buying an old school house back in the 70s. It was on an acre of land in northern Ont. surounded by crown land. Only $600.00 at the time, but thought why buy it ? If only I knew then, what I know now......

Our sales tax (state) is 6% on everything including food. Long Island, NY prior to moving to WV was 8.5% on everything except food and water utilities.

How's the gun laws by you. Here in WV I have a CCW which costs $90.00 for 5 years. WV is also a open carry state and no license required.

"They" say no sales tax in AB. But we do have it, it is just "hidden" in ways the Gov. is expert at. All the other Provinces have a sales tax.

Canada has a pile of dumb and non working gun laws. You need a P.A.L. to carry a long (non restricted) gun. You also are supposed to have all your guns registered (Fed law) I seem to recall a news story about 14 million sold in Canada, and only a couple million guns are registered.
They also changed some law that requires a search permit, if Police "suspect" a gun is in the building. Lot of people pissed about that one.
I forget what the costs are.
Then there are all the hunting licences. They really have it set up to pull all the money they can out of you. To apply for a draw, you have to send $ with each card submitted : non refundable.
In the three years I've been back in AB , I've had no time to run off hunting, so have not kept up on costs here.
Besides, Whit Tail, Mule, Moose wander the place often. Plus I want to raise Elk. Will not have to go far when I decide to wipe the dust off of the "lead pill dispensers".
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

EST. 2001 Owner/Operator Located in Slate, WV

« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2007, 05:16:07 AM »

Reeves,

Do you need a hunting license to hunt on your own property? Also, any update on the last picture?

I love looking at old country side pictures depicting years gone by. I bet there is some history to be told on that property.

To many country farms around here going by the way of either strip malls or new developments. I sure miss the old days.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2007, 09:19:45 AM »

No up-date yet.
I asked the consultant if he would give me the contact info for the owner.
He said:(rudely and in my face) You are not out here to tresspass, we are out here to do a job. (then walked away from me)

Just means I have to ask a neighbor (to the farm) for the contact info  :laugh:

Forgot to mention, I've been thinking about that old school house. Sure would make a great building for the wife. She does lots of craft stuff, carving drawing/painting and lots more.
When I do contact the owner, I'll be asking if he will part with it (cheaply)....as it will likely cost me about 1k(or more) to move it home.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2007, 09:23:53 AM by Reeves » Logged
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2007, 09:19:46 PM »

Sometimes people get those "Life is good" moments.

Chuck had one when he got that brooder (Incubator ?) for free, and when it all worked out with chicks in it again.

Teresa got two !

Well, this morning while standing around waiting for things to get going, an older Ford pick-up pulls up. Old(er) man driving & my first thought was: land owner.
So I'm the first to walk over to him & ask about that old building. Yes, it is the old Cross Lake School house !
Also turns out he is sort of my neighbor as well ! Lives 3 miles to the west of me !
So we talked a bit. I gave him my numbers & he wants to drop by to see the birds.
I asked him if he would part with the old school house as well. He is going to ask his son.
Also asked what he is going to do with that old tractor. He is not sure yet. However, he has all the parts of another & says he could get one going again !
Neat old fella, looking forward to when he visits !

Cool !
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2007, 04:33:32 AM »

I am still waiting for one of those:"Life is good" moments. All I have been getting is: "Life in Murphy" moments

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
Chukar Breeder
Expert Member

« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2007, 09:42:03 AM »

"Life in Murphy" moments

:laugh: :laugh: Me Too
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2007, 05:42:11 PM »

Just what you need Reeves..........another project! 

The big difference is that my measley "Life is Good" fit in the back of the car. Your version fits on 2 or 3 Kenworth flatbed semis at a minimum, one for the material (schoolhouses, pipe, fence, moose) and the other for the dozer, backhoe, and pan.  I'm alot easier to please than you, by far.  :P  LOL!

That would be neat to have if the price is right.

You could fix that dude up and start a child care service in it through the week and on Sundays you could use it to preach a sermon?  :eek:  Just think of the cash you'd be rollin' in?

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2007, 06:58:23 AM »

What's a "pan" ?

No kids allowed !

What would work best for the building is one of those olde time stores. Where local old timers sit round the pot belly stove on winter days, sipp'n "mountian dew" & yarn'n stories !
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2007, 07:06:15 AM »

What's a "pan" ?

No kids allowed !

What would work best for the building is one of those olde time stores. Where local old timers sit round the pot belly stove on winter days, sipp'n "mountian dew" & yarn'n stories !

Now that's something I can relate to!

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

MtBullion Gamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2007, 12:31:04 PM »

Well I don't know about life is good moments, mine needs some work.  Hey Reeves, my first thought with the picture, was it was an old school house too.  That would be a great project room.  How far would you have to move it.  It looks like it is sitting on a hill.  Might be tough getting it off it's foundation.  Hope you get the chance to try.

Teresa
Mt. Bullion Gamebirds
www.mtbulliongamebirds.com
Licensed Gamebird Breeder by the California Department of Fish and Game.  A.I. clean tested.  Not currently N.P.I.P.
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2007, 09:53:30 PM »

How far would you have to move it.

About an hour drive.....likely about two hours, as the move would have to be a very slow drive.

It looks like it is sitting on a hill.  Might be tough getting it off it's foundation.

No hill. No foundation. It had been moved one time to it's present location.
Easy lift/move.

Hope you get the chance to try.

Me too.
Maybe.
Like Chuck said: "just what you need, another project" !

:laugh:
aKirA
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2007, 10:04:41 PM »

You could fix that dude up and start a child care service in it through the week and on Sundays you could use it to preach a sermon?  :eek:  Just think of the cash you'd be rollin' in?
Nah I say Bar by night and Church by day. That way you can confess what you did the night before.  :angel:
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2007, 07:52:34 AM »

No bar or Church. Too many visitors on my place is bad for me, not a good thing. I like to be left alone.....

However, been thinking about it some more. Like the design of the building. I'm thinking I'll take more pictures, notes etc. I may want a scaled down version for my Peafowl pen - house.
I have the pen mostly designed in my head. Just need time, money and more free pipe to get r done !
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2007, 03:02:59 PM »

No bar or Church. Too many visitors on my place is bad for me, not a good thing. I like to be left alone.....

However, been thinking about it some more. Like the design of the building. I'm thinking I'll take more pictures, notes etc. I may want a scaled down version for my Peafowl pen - house.
I have the pen mostly designed in my head. Just need time, money and more free pipe to get r done !

Reeves,
While your at it, scale it down for the use as a hunting shack for me. :laugh: :angel: I put it on stilts on the upper part of my property.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2007, 09:00:05 PM »

Nah I say Bar by night  :angel:

Now your talkin'.    :evil:

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »