Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 12:38:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Adding Pictures to your message is EASY! 
While creating a topic, click on ADDITIONAL OPTIONS and then the Browse
button. Select a picture file from your computer and your done!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Brooding and Raising
| | |-+  Odor/Smell reduction for Coturnxi Quail
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Odor/Smell reduction for Coturnxi Quail  (Read 17538 times)
bigjohn

« on: December 06, 2008, 10:55:33 AM »

I began raising some Texas A&M coturnix quail last Spring.  I had some real issues with keeping the smell at a resonable level when I moved the birds outside into their cages.  I tried numerous things like placing fresh newspapers under the pens and cleaning them each day.  But it got out of control and there was still a smell and the flies just kept coming.  I live in a small subdivision with neighbors in close proximity and did not want to cause a problem.   A friend gave me a suggestion that resolved the issues for me and wanted to share it with anyone interested.

I purchased a couple of bags of top soil ($1.29 each) from Lowes.  I emptied a bag under each pen.  When I would feed the quail, I simple racked the top around and lightly covered it with some fresh soil.  All of the odor was eliminated.  It is amazing the ease in keeping the odor and flies at a minimum and makes an easy, inexpensive and great vegetable garden addition when it needs to be replaced.  I guess the liquid from the poop soaks into the soil leaving a much drier poop on top. 

wildergamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2008, 11:21:10 AM »

s016   s016   s016 

I like this guy!    Shows up with a useful suggestion, rather than "I've had 1000 quails eggs in an incubator for two weeks, now, when will they hatch, and where should I put them"?  Will my Iguana terrarium work?

I can see where that would work, as long as the poop to dirt ratio wasn't too high.  There aren't many things that smell as clean as fresh turned earth.  Those of use with more rural homesteads could use "roto-tilled" dirt.

Chuck, I'm putting you in charge of research and development.  Maybe you guys could eat some of it, or put a layer in the easy chair. (This idea needs more refining).

John, this post entitles you to three free dumb questions, without ridicule.  A little ribbing, maybe, but no ridicule.  Stick around.

When nuts are outlawed, only outlaws will have nuts, look at France.
tweezy50
Expert Member

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2008, 01:38:10 PM »

s016 s98, John
birdlover17
Expert Member

Adult Coturnix Male

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2008, 02:54:12 PM »

s98 big john, yeah that soil sounds like a great idea i use the same concept but sometimes i'll use sand instead of the soil.  Then like you said when its time to clean their pen for fresh soil just add it to the compost, (dont add it directly near vegetable plants as it can burn them a bit, the manure can be so strong that it could kill the plants)  You'll need to add it to the compost area to let it age a bit.

"People live like birds in the woods: When the time comes, each must take flight."

Raise Coturnix Quail, Ringneck Pheasant, Ringneck Doves for hobby.
Flying Bob

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2008, 03:24:32 PM »

We have a local business that makes flooring and they have a huge pile of free sawdust and wood shavings that I make use of.... The dry soaks up the moisture and the bark odor helps nuetralize the bird smell... Still has to be shovelled out and recycled in the garden or tilled.
backyardquail

This place is going to the birds!

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2010, 10:57:53 AM »

I know this is an old post, but wanted to add my 2 cents.  Per my wife's suggestion I have been using a thin layer of straw under the cages.  It seems to keep the smell down, but not the flies.  It makes for easy cleanup as every couple of days I just rake it onto a shovel and straight to the compost pile.

Backyard Quail
"Have courage for the great sorrows of life and patience for the small ones; and when you have laboriously accomplished your daily task, go to sleep in peace. God is awake." - Victor Hugo
judge8604

Personal Text

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2011, 01:35:40 AM »

Another late response to this is that I have been using lime on my drop pans and under the outdoor pens and it really helps a lot for getting rid of the smell.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »