Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 16, 2024, 12:41:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Buy & Sell Gamebirds online!
Click Here for TQP Auction & Ads
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Brooding and Raising
| | |-+  Tuxedo's???
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Tuxedo's???  (Read 1985 times)
Bobwhite quail24
« on: December 25, 2005, 05:36:32 PM »

Are tuxedo quail a hardy quail? I am planning to get some eggs about January when my egg cups get here. When do are they able to go outside. I have an older type brooder that I would keep them in, inside of my garage. I am new to raising quail, I had a pair of adult bob's last year but they died. I am going to try tuxedo's. As adults how many sq. feet is required per bird? Will they hatch their eggs, I know many people on here have said that bob's rarely do that. Thank you for your time.

Bobwhite quail24 
RedOakGamebirds
Administrator
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2005, 09:15:01 PM »

Tuxedo's are hardy birds just as other Coturnix.  We raise them all year long.  Coturnix are prolific egg layers and reach maturity very early.  They usually lay within 6-8 weeks.  This time of year you may need to brood them 4-5 weeks depending on your location and the temperature.  In the summer months you can usually put them outside in 3 weeks or so.  Same space requirements as other birds.  Recommended atleast 1sq. ft. per bird to avoid crowding.  In my opinion you may be able to get 2 birds in 1.5 sq. ft. depending on the layout of your pen.  Never had any Coturnix over the past 20 years to set their own eggs but it may be possible depending on the way you manage them.  Youre better off incubating them yourself as the fertility is really high for Coturnix usually.

Larry

We manufacture egg shipping foam!
Pollorum/Typhoid/Avian Free
NPIP 52-186
Member NAGA and Virginia Game Bird Asociation
Bobwhite quail24
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2005, 06:52:24 AM »

Well i just wanted to know because i didn't want to look in the pen and see one hatching the eggs, I have a little giant incubator and, I think I have been bugging poultryman90. My mom got me some small egg cups for christmas and I am waiting for them, but as soon as I get them I will be buying eggs from him.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »