Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 08:48:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Buy & Sell Gamebirds online!
Click Here for TQP Auction & Ads
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Our Member's Section
| |-+  Generally Asked Questions
| | |-+  hi-newbie here
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: hi-newbie here  (Read 3996 times)
Auryn
« on: April 10, 2007, 12:56:03 PM »

Hello all.
I am so very glad to have found this place.

I am new to this whole world
I had been wanting chickens and guineas for about 3 years.
I finally bought 6 RIR chicks a few months ago.
Ive always thought quail were absolutely great (and tasty) so ive decided to get quail instead of guineas.

My first question for you guys is, I built the chickens a 200sq ft fully enclosed run plus coop (10'x20'x6'). They are very mild mannered, at least with me and each other, I hand reared them. The run is fully enclosed with chicken wire and a layer of 1/4" hardware cloth on top of it on the bottom 3 feet.

The run is in 80% shade all day and is on sandy soil and a bit of grass
Would it be ok to house the quails with the chickens?

I know most people frown on keeping different types of fowl together.
However the chickens are only in the coop to sleep at night and on rainy days, otherwise they are out free ranging the property.

I'm not fond of the idea keeping quail in tiny cages. 

I would like to keep them to enjoy their company and also as a food source (the eggs and the meat- if I can get over my squimish factor. I kill  and dress fish no problem so I don't think it'll be too hard)

anyhoo
i just wanted to say hi
ill stop yapping now
JohnInDixon
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2007, 03:49:25 PM »

Welcome!  Don't think I'd put the chickens and quail together if it were me. Someone will get hurt in the long run.  But you still have a lot of reading/choosing to do. Like which kind of quail are you going to raise, a bit of a difference between the different types - Bobs, Coturnix, Mountain, buttons, etc...

If you don't like tiny cages, make them bigger. My colony type cages are 2' X 4' I chose that size for ease when it's time to catch them or collect the eggs.

Again, Welcome to the site...  If you have any specific ?'s try the search button above - it works GREAT!

John
magnumhntr
Expert Member

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2007, 06:15:06 PM »

And, there are a number of very bad diseases that chickens are immune to that will kill quail in a matter of days. You should keep your quail off the ground if possible, as most of the diseases and parasites that affect quail are found in the soil. Chickens on the ground, quail on wire....

Chris

Chris Morehouse
www.mmgamebirds.com
Located in Southwest Michigan
Auryn
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2007, 07:13:31 PM »

Thanks for the tips guys
I guess I am off to research quail cages.

I live in south Florida and we are allowed to keep bob white quail w/o any kind of permit, so its bob white quail for me :) (though i think gambels are too cute).

I'm working on building a home made incubator, and my next task will be finding eggs somewhere.
thanks for the welcome  :)
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »