Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 15, 2024, 03:31:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Buy & Sell Gamebirds online!
Click Here for TQP Auction & Ads
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Incubation
| | |-+  Fan kit in incubator
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Fan kit in incubator  (Read 6733 times)
Bobwhite quail24
« on: March 05, 2006, 04:28:56 PM »

Ok I have a fan from an old computer and would like to know how do I put it in my little giant incubator?It says on the cover DC 12V   0.19A. Also Someone on here sayed to put it so the air is being blown out the vent hole, wouldn't that make the temperature in the incubator drop? Or is that why a deflector plate is on it. Thanks for any and all help.
zip
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2006, 08:36:27 AM »

Im no expert but all my incubators have the fan blowing downward and the deflector deflects the air to the sides so it flows in a circulair motion. The idea is to move the air around in the incubator.
woodenegg
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2006, 10:56:18 AM »

The fan you have is DC.  Most fan kits for incubators are wired directly into the AC 120v line.  Your fan will need to be wired to a transformer that is putting out 12v DC, other wise you could burn it out.  If you don't have one laying around, you should be able to get something at a Radio Shack.
Bobwhite quail24
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2006, 05:55:39 PM »

Thanks I probably will just have it blowing upward and then it would hit the top of the incubator and swirl it around. This would work right? I am also going to get a transformer. Thanks for your help and I'll keep you notified about my hatch when I get it complete
Bobwhite quail24
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2006, 09:55:26 AM »

I got the fan mounted know all I have to do is get a transformer to hook it up the my incubator.
Bobwhite quail24
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2006, 04:18:35 PM »

So far my home made fan kit has cost me 13.59. I got the transformer and my dad is going to help me attach it and I will see if it helps keep temp stable. But my only question is does the fan stay on the entire time the incubator is running or is it supposed to shut off when the heating element does? The reason I am wondering is it is a plug in transformer. Thanks for all your help.

Bobwhite quail24
Bobwhite quail24
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2006, 07:12:13 PM »

I have another question. I put in the fan and it blows quite a bit of air, is this ok. Also does the fan kit regulate the temp because it didn't seem to effect the temp at all. Thank you for your time.
flightedquail
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2006, 07:04:55 AM »

The fan needs to run all the time. It is not for regulating the temperature but rather to circulate to prevent "stale" air.  Your thermostat whether it be electronic, wafer or whatever is your temp regulator.  If you need to slow down the air, you might consider a deflector of some kind to slow down the air flow or even restrict the discharge from the fan.

Richard
Bobwhite quail24
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2006, 11:47:33 AM »

This is confusing, Redoak said it needs to run when the thermostate it running. For those of you who use foam incubators have you noticed if the fan runs all the time. I just want to make sure so I don't have to mess with a bunch of wiring.
jchiar
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2006, 11:53:58 AM »

fan should run all the time
sp2207
Expert Member

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2006, 12:00:47 PM »

Ill check mine, since it is on right now so ill be back shortly
sp2207
Expert Member

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2006, 12:08:52 PM »

Ok here is how my incubator runs.  the fan only runs when the heating element is on and running  then it turns off when the heat is off. I hope this clears up your fan question
woodenegg
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2006, 04:49:25 PM »

I have both the little giant and the hovabator and the all have fans.  The fan is wired in before the power goes to the thermostat and the run all the time.  Are you confused yet?
sp2207
Expert Member

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2006, 05:12:19 PM »

I have 2 hova -bators and only one runing now. so ill have to go get the other one and check that one,  and ill get back to you soon
sp2207
Expert Member

« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2006, 06:03:04 PM »

OK here is what i found out.  the 1st incubator that has eggs in it is an older incubator. and the fan comes on with the heater and off when the heat is turned off.  and the 2nd incubator is a newer one  and the fan stays on all the time.with heat on the fan is on and with the heat off the fan stays on.  I used both incubators this past month with both working great.  so i guess it depends on you if and how you want the fan on or off.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »