Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 14, 2024, 11:51:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Hope everyone had a great year.  Welcome to 2013.  Our monthly drawings will be starting back soon!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Health Issues
| | |-+  Quail Dying..Please help!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Quail Dying..Please help!  (Read 4744 times)
Carla

« on: July 19, 2008, 02:28:39 PM »

I have a small number of quail I keep inside a fairly large flight pen.  About 2 weeks ago I noticed a couple birds dead inside the pen, it had looked as if they had been attacked by the other birds.  Then I noticed the egg production fell a lot over the next week and I started to see more quail die.   I went out last Friday and found 9 dead and to shoot two more.  They now had symptoms as follows; ruffled feathers, humped posture, some nasal discharge and watery eyes.  Today I noticed one showing neurological signs by jerking neck/head movements.  Occasionally he will open his eyes in alertness then he shuts them again but there is no nasal discharge like the others.  I had added Sulfadimethoxine in the water on Monday and I've lost only 1 quail since; but I have two more showing signs of sickness this morning.  Anyone have any ideas as to what it could be? I've read several articles on disease and I have some symptoms that seem like one disease and symptoms of another disease.  Maybe they have something with another secondary infection?? I no idea what to do!   Any help would be appreciated....Thanks
wildergamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2008, 02:55:03 PM »

I've read several articles on disease and I have some symptoms that seem like one disease and symptoms of another disease.  Maybe they have something with another secondary infection??

This is very common.

[/quote]Maybe they have something with another secondary infection??
[/quote]

Almost always!  Have you check their intestines, or sent them to a lab?  I would imagine you have (sorry, they have) Ulcerative Enteritis, they probably got it because of a proliferation of Coccidia.  Maybe even Chronic Respiratory Disease.  I would treat for the other two, or "see a doctor and get rid of it!"

Several of the internal diseases have very similar symptoms, even in the intestines.  Stain, and microscopic diagnosis is the only way to be positive.  If you have just a few birds, it's cheaper to just treat them for everything suspected.

When nuts are outlawed, only outlaws will have nuts, look at France.
Carla

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2008, 08:24:21 PM »

I've not sent anything to a lab.  I have only 25 birds left as of today.  What would you suggest in addition to what I'm already adding to their water?  Will anything really get rid of this
 Ulcerative Enteritis? The last article I read said to start over with fresh birds.  I can't just get rid of the ones that are showing no signs, I even have a hen that is still laying on her own eggs since the male died.  I'm hoping she survives.  If I treat for the most common diseases; do you know what combinations of meds would be safe? Thank you.
wildergamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2008, 10:59:42 PM »

If I remember right, Aeromycin is the better treatment for UE, but check Merck Veteranarian Manual, online.

wildergamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2008, 11:00:53 PM »

www.merckvetmanual.com/

magnumhntr
Expert Member

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2008, 08:44:25 PM »

Sounds like the same symptoms mine had when I learned I had gapeworm at my old place. Once you've got them, they are there to stay. only was to deal with them is to medicate the birds with wormer, and put the new ones on wire.

Chris

Chris Morehouse
www.mmgamebirds.com
Located in Southwest Michigan
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »