Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 15, 2024, 10:25:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Buy & Sell Gamebirds online!
Click Here for TQP Auction & Ads
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Health Issues
| | |-+  West Nile
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: West Nile  (Read 3797 times)
WHITNEYPLU
« on: July 02, 2007, 02:48:05 AM »

I wanted to pass on a little important information to all of you. Due to the tremendous rains here lately the mosquitoes have been terrible and a case of West Nile has been detected in my county not far from me. They found it by someone turning in a dead pigeon they was raising. Texas A&m determined it was infected. Please be sure to get rid of any standing water that may harbor mosquito larva. In cattle throughs or Duck ponds that are not filtered add a dozen minnows to it and they will eat them out, as well as the algae. I have had a few silkies chicks die lately and I am sending one into the NPIP program to get it tested today. Just do not overlook this as it can kill some of our more expensive birds.
Dusty
MtBullion Gamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2007, 10:12:59 AM »

We use mosquito fish in all our ponds and horse troughs.  They breed so quickly, I am now in the mosquito fish farming too  :laugh:  But they do keep the mosquito population down.   

Teresa
Mt. Bullion Gamebirds
www.mtbulliongamebirds.com
Licensed Gamebird Breeder by the California Department of Fish and Game.  A.I. clean tested.  Not currently N.P.I.P.
WHITNEYPLU
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2007, 04:38:47 PM »

What exactly is a mesquito fish and where do you obtain these?  Are they cheaper than goldfish and minnows and do they tolerate cold weather like the goldfish will? I put goldfish alot of times in cattle throughs and my rock pond but when they get 6 to 8" long the coons love to eat them, put I have had alot of practice getting them that big thanks to them lol.
Dusty
aKirA
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2007, 06:15:55 PM »

Yea they are like minnows, guppies, they are called mosquito eaters/fishes. They are as hardy as goldfishes if not more and the great thing is that they reproduce like wabbits! :laugh: They are cheaper then goldfishes or around the same price. Good thing is they stay small so the coons prolly won't be interested in them. I have some in my koi pond.
WHITNEYPLU
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2007, 09:21:49 PM »

Do you get them at the pet store? ANd thanks for the heads up on them!
aKirA
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2007, 06:23:13 PM »

Local pet stores should have them. Call them to make sure first. I got mines from a neighbor but have seen them at pet stores, tropical fish stores.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mosquito_fish
gp
Expert Member

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2007, 09:05:34 PM »

I have ALL my pens screened in so I will not ahve to worry about that.
MtBullion Gamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2007, 01:15:39 AM »

You also may want to ask your local Ag Dept.  I know here, they actually give them away free.  I guess they want to encourage people to use them in their ponding areas.  If I could find a way to ship you some, I would, I got thousands of them. 

Teresa
Mt. Bullion Gamebirds
www.mtbulliongamebirds.com
Licensed Gamebird Breeder by the California Department of Fish and Game.  A.I. clean tested.  Not currently N.P.I.P.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »