Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 15, 2024, 11:28:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Adding Pictures to your message is EASY! 
While creating a topic, click on ADDITIONAL OPTIONS and then the Browse
button. Select a picture file from your computer and your done!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Health Issues
| | |-+  red spots
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: red spots  (Read 4232 times)
WHITNEYPLU
« on: July 01, 2007, 06:05:13 PM »

Due to to many males I culled some Cortunix Quail today for eating. I noticed one today with red spots on his breast meat and threw him out. Does anyone know what cuases this?
Dusty
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

EST. 2001 Owner/Operator Located in Slate, WV

« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2007, 06:28:50 PM »

Due to to many males I culled some Cortunix Quail today for eating. I noticed one today with red spots on his breast meat and threw him out. Does anyone know what cuases this?
Dusty

Maybe bruising? How are you dispatching them? Post a picture showing the area. Also cut it and see if it goes all the way through.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm
« Last Edit: July 01, 2007, 06:30:26 PM by Pheasant Hollow Farm » Logged

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
WHITNEYPLU
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2007, 06:39:21 PM »

I pull off their heads. I think it was bruising becuase he had a bald spot on his head like he might had been in a tussel. The bird is gone so I can't take pictures of it (gave it to the dog).
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2007, 07:14:22 PM »

Next time take pictures. This makes thing a lot easier.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
WHITNEYPLU
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2007, 09:44:59 PM »

They was little red spots on the left side of the breast and left leg. It wasn't all the way thru the meat just a very thin layer of it. I have tried to post a picture on here but size of the picture is always to big 550kb. But I will try to work on that in the future.
Thanks for the help
Dusty
wildergamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2007, 11:54:32 PM »

I've butchered three Coturnix recently and two had red spots, but only 2-3 per bird.  These were exactly the size one would expect on a bird that had been pecked by another.

The bald spot on the head sounds like the result of a male pulling the feathers of a hen, during mating.  If these are cage birds, perhaps it was a prison initiation kind of thing?

Just a guess,

Jack

When nuts are outlawed, only outlaws will have nuts, look at France.
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2007, 05:20:14 AM »

They was little red spots on the left side of the breast and left leg. It wasn't all the way thru the meat just a very thin layer of it. I have tried to post a picture on here but size of the picture is always to big 550kb. But I will try to work on that in the future.
Thanks for the help
Dusty

From wildergamebirds:

I've butchered three Coturnix recently and two had red spots, but only 2-3 per bird.  These were exactly the size one would expect on a bird that had been pecked by another.

The bald spot on the head sounds like the result of a male pulling the feathers of a hen, during mating.  If these are cage birds, perhaps it was a prison initiation kind of thing?

Just a guess,

Jack

This sounds more like the situation you may have Dusty..

Just plain ole brusing. In the future, if the bird doesn't look good for human consumption, I wouldn't suggest feeding it to the dog either.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »