Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 13, 2024, 07:41:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Buy & Sell Gamebirds online!
Click Here for TQP Auction & Ads
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Health Issues
| | |-+  Sanitizing Question
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Sanitizing Question  (Read 7100 times)
BigD_N_Cherokee

« on: June 21, 2007, 05:12:23 PM »

We've been using a 10% Chlorine Solution in a 1 gal. pressurized garden sprayer on our surrogator boxes between batches.

I read somewhere that Tek-Trol was also a good sanitizing agent.

Does anyone have any advice as to which one would be preferred when spraying on the box while in remote areas when we don't have fresh water to rinse off the residue.  We've been letting the boxes air dry.

Are there other solutions which should be considered.

Thanks for any help
-D
MtBullion Gamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2007, 06:16:42 PM »

We use the Tek-Trol right in our pens, with the birds inside.  Does not hurt them a bit.  We don't spray it right on the birds, but on the ground around.  Also use it to clean all our equipment, waterer's, feeders, hatchers, brooders etc...   It is kind of pricey though.  But we like it.

Teresa
Mt. Bullion Gamebirds
www.mtbulliongamebirds.com
Licensed Gamebird Breeder by the California Department of Fish and Game.  A.I. clean tested.  Not currently N.P.I.P.
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2007, 10:04:05 PM »

What I use. It is used in hospitals. But remember, I live in Canada. Lots of stuf up here cannot be pruchased down there & lots of stuff you have I cannot buy here...

MtBullion Gamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2007, 11:48:45 PM »

Hey Reeves, you better buy some more.  That one there is expired! :laugh:

Teresa
Mt. Bullion Gamebirds
Licensed Gamebird Breeder by the California Department of Fish and Game.  A.I. clean tested.  Not currently N.P.I.P.
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2007, 07:29:12 AM »

You really mean to take another picture, as it is really the picture that is out-dated  :laugh:
WHITNEYPLU
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2007, 02:17:42 AM »

I always use a spray bottle filled with bleach mixed 3 to one. Seems to do me good and is cheap. So far in 15 years i have never had any problems with it but my birds have great ventilation and even clean out my incubators with it and never had less than a 80% hatch rate with most being in the high 90s(other than shipped eggs).
Dusty
« Last Edit: July 01, 2007, 02:05:42 AM by WHITNEYPLU » Logged
falconer_39
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2007, 09:24:03 AM »

hey guys
I put a mixture of 3 to 1 to clean my falcon mews and also a tsp to a gallon of water for him and my quails drinking water it helps to keep em clean on the inside
David
MtBullion Gamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2007, 01:12:14 AM »

hey guys
I put a mixture of 3 to 1 to clean my falcon mews and also a tsp to a gallon of water for him and my quails drinking water it helps to keep em clean on the inside
David

David,
Are you talking about bleach or Tek-Trol?

Teresa
Mt. Bullion Gamebirds
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

EST. 2001 Owner/Operator Located in Slate, WV

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2007, 02:14:48 AM »

hey guys
David

David,

According to our state vet(WV) adding any amount of bleach into your birds water can have adverse effects on the immune system and the natural good bacteria in which helps keep the bird healthy.

This goes with the same reasoning of over medication.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2007, 08:55:28 AM »

Good & valid point, Steve !

Also , bleach is a corrosive (most cleaners are) so a rinse is in order in most cases, after a 15 minutes.
MtBullion Gamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2007, 10:45:14 AM »

hey guys
David

David,

Yeah, I don't think I would put either one in their water.

Teresa
Mt. Bullion Gamebirds
falconer_39
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2007, 09:45:44 PM »

yes bleach this does the same as chlorine . if fact your can go to the woods to a spring get you a glass of water put a little bleach in it to purifier it that is what our military does
I have been using bleach for25 years on my birds and have not lost one by bleach . but you can over do it by putting too much in it
the way I test it is simple I get a clean milk jug put a tsp in it add water to the top and shake it up if it smell like bleach you put too much in it I even stick my finger in it and taste it if it taste like bleach it is too much
most of these chemical the put on the market is harmfull for your birds  so I go by the kiss system and it works fine for me
for those who don't know the kiss system it means (keep it simple stupid ) :laugh: the way thing are now days you get in to the math measurement  it can get confussing
David
WHITNEYPLU
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2007, 11:53:40 PM »

I dont put bleach in the waterers but I do put a tsp of apple cider vinager to each gallon of water. A 50 gallon barrel for some of my drinking nipples I put in 3 cups of it into the water when filling. Keeps everything clean and is good for the birds. :laugh:
MtBullion Gamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2007, 02:57:07 AM »

I dont put bleach in the waterers but I do put a tsp of apple cider vinager to each gallon of water. A 50 gallon barrel for some of my drinking nipples I put in 3 cups of it into the water when filling. Keeps everything clean and is good for the birds. :laugh:

I use the apple vinager also, cuts down on the smell as well as keeping things clean.  Learned that here  :angel:

Teresa
Mt. Bullion Gamebirds
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

EST. 2001 Owner/Operator Located in Slate, WV

« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2007, 03:34:01 PM »

yes bleach this does the same as chlorine . if fact your can go to the woods to a spring get you a glass of water put a little bleach in it to purifier it that is what our military does
I have been using bleach for25 years on my birds and have not lost one by bleach . but you can over do it by putting too much in it
the way I test it is simple I get a clean milk jug put a tsp in it add water to the top and shake it up if it smell like bleach you put too much in it I even stick my finger in it and taste it if it taste like bleach it is too much
most of these chemical the put on the market is harmfull for your birds  so I go by the kiss system and it works fine for me
for those who don't know the kiss system it means (keep it simple stupid ) :laugh: the way thing are now days you get in to the math measurement  it can get confussing
David

David,

If you are using water that is city/county/town treated, there is no reason for adding any bleach or pool chlorine, other then using bleach for cleaning. If you are using well water from your property that is strictly being used for your animals, and not for human consumption, I would suggest getting it tested before you add anything to the water.

As far as the use of either cider or apple cider vinegar, all this does is keep the ammonia smell down from the birds waist. If you add more then the recommended dose of vinegar per gallon of water, this will cause a gastro intestine problem with the birds, and they will die.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »