Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 14, 2024, 06:11:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
TQP Forum has a new look!  Let us know what you think!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Health Issues
| | |-+  earthworms eradication
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: earthworms eradication  (Read 5168 times)
blondekatedog
« on: April 28, 2007, 01:07:27 PM »

what is the best way to eradicate earthworms from your flypens?
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2007, 01:34:38 PM »

Turn some birds loose in there?     :mrgreen:

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
magnumhntr
Expert Member

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2007, 10:00:26 PM »

According to my local ag extension, and Michigan State University, heavy doses of salt will drive the worms out of the area. But it's alot of salt, like 50lbs per 100 sq/ft . Do you have a problem with gapeworm, or some parasite that is piggybacking in on the earthworms?

Chris

Chris Morehouse
www.mmgamebirds.com
Located in Southwest Michigan
blondekatedog
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2007, 03:38:02 PM »

no, I am new to the quail business and a quail producer told me that earthworms carried blackhead. Was I misinformed?
magnumhntr
Expert Member

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2007, 06:58:08 PM »

I'm not sure about the blackhead, but part of the life cycle of gapeworm is through the earthworm. And trust me, once your birds get gapeworm, it is there for the long haul. Your best bet is to put them on wire and be done with it. There are so many diseases that quail can get, and %99 of them come from the ground.
Chris

Chris Morehouse
www.mmgamebirds.com
Located in Southwest Michigan
CalebK273

Mandarin Drake at the house.

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2007, 02:16:59 PM »

You could even put gravel in your pen to keep the birds from eating any worms.  4-6 inches of gravel should work.  I suggest pete gravel (don't know if that's spelled right) since it is small and would keep worms from digging up into your pen.

Hope it helps,

Caleb K.

Caleb L. Kordsmeier
I have Woodducks, Mandarins, AGB's and BB Red OEG.
Visit My Website
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2007, 10:07:31 AM »

You could even put gravel in your pen to keep the birds from eating any worms.  4-6 inches of gravel should work.  I suggest pete gravel (don't know if that's spelled right) since it is small and would keep worms from digging up into your pen.

Hope it helps,

Caleb K.

Good Idea!

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2007, 07:55:16 PM »

That would be pea gravel. No problems with Quail. But how would you clean the pen ?
With some Pheasants, pea gravel is not recommended, as they may choke on it.
CalebK273

Mandarin Drake at the house.

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2007, 10:24:28 PM »

Definately don't use with pheasants because they regularly pick through rocks and small gravel pieces.  I can see that they might choke on them.  With the pea gravel, you could put it down then just cover it with hay.  I would have to see your pen set up to tell you the correct way to keep from having earthworms, but I was just making suggestions.

Caleb L. Kordsmeier
I have Woodducks, Mandarins, AGB's and BB Red OEG.
Visit My Website
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

EST. 2001 Owner/Operator Located in Slate, WV

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2007, 04:27:33 AM »

That would be pea gravel. No problems with Quail. But how would you clean the pen ?
With some Pheasants, pea gravel is not recommended, as they may choke on it.

Reeves is correct on this. Not so much as the pheasant choking, but the amount of waste that the pheasants generate.

Adding hay or straw on top of the gravel will only retain the moisture no matter how sufficient your drainage is, and turn the pen into mud after a heavy rain. If the base is clay, you would need a significant slope just for the water drainage.

The only suggestion I can say is either till the ground once a month and lime, or put down a woven black polypropylene barrier and cover it with sand and rake the pen once a week to remove the waste.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »