Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:47:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Hope everyone had a great year.  Welcome to 2013.  Our monthly drawings will be starting back soon!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Hunting Gamebirds
| |-+  Bird Dog Topics
| | |-+  Bird Dog Challenge
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bird Dog Challenge  (Read 9953 times)
Little Bear Game Farm
Expert Member

Kick 'Em Up - Knock 'Em Down

« on: October 20, 2008, 12:36:05 PM »

Has anyone else on this forum competed in any of the Bird Dog Challenge Series?

I was wondering what people thought of this, benefits or disadvantages for your dogs?

Any advice on working fields, practicing, etc?

Chukar and Pheasant Propogation - Trust my advice based on the knowledge that I have not been doing this very long and don't know a lot more than I do know...  But at least I know that I don't know
wildergamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2008, 01:27:47 PM »

I've ran BDC and NSTRA, as well as local clubs that have format similar to BDC.

They are all OK, and most of the people involved are pretty good.  The exception usually comes when things get real competitive.  Guys with dogs that have a chance to win everything in their little world get pretty serious.  It's the same in AKC, though, plus they are pretty uppity.

This is a good way to get your dog sharpened up, a little, before bird season.  It will, generally, help you make contacts with people with birds, and training grounds, locally.  The pressure for speed can cause accidents, and you will want your dogs to break at the shot, in order to win.  Hard to do that with a young dog, and still expect him to hold a longer on wild birds.

When nuts are outlawed, only outlaws will have nuts, look at France.
Bird Brained
Expert Member

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2008, 08:05:19 PM »

Conservation Bird Dog Club in Amo, Indiana is the "Home of NSTRA".

CBDC is hosting Dog of the Year this week.  It starts Wednesday and runs through Saturday.

CBDC's website is www.amocbdc.com

CBDC is also thinking about hosting a Bird Dog Challenge this season.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2008, 08:07:00 PM by Bird Brained » Logged
GunRunner Gundogs

gunrunnergundogs.com

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2009, 12:31:33 AM »

See the new thread titled "Birddog Field Trials"...
Thanks
GunRunner

TEAM GUNRUNNER
2009 UFTA National Champions
"www.ufta-online.com"
bondoron

Personal Text

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2009, 05:50:46 PM »

I don't want to say anything negative about what guys like watching and doing. If you like it do it and enjoy. However saying that I disagree with what BDC promotes especially on t.v. They have unsteady dogs that don't even have to hold until flush (they only have to point 3 seconds). The dogs they show are also hard mouthed. They chew on the birds as they retrieve them. They basically show the people that don't know about the pointing breeds that they are sloppy dogs that destroy the birds. Like I said this is my opinion only and if you enjoy it then do it.

Ron
GunRunner Gundogs

gunrunnergundogs.com

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2009, 12:34:02 AM »

Personally I truly enjoy the sport of Field Trialing, so if anyone ever has any questions please feel free to contact me. I will be glad to answer any questions if I can. First let me say that I'm the first to admit this sport isn't for everyone. However; if you enjoy competition, Hunting, Guns and Bird dogs then it could be that this sport is tailor made just for you.
Visit the UFTA for more information on field trialing.  www.ufta-online.com

GunRunner Gundogs
www.gunrunnergundogs.com

TEAM GUNRUNNER
2009 UFTA National Champions
"www.ufta-online.com"
Little Bear Game Farm
Expert Member

Kick 'Em Up - Knock 'Em Down

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2009, 09:04:34 AM »

Hey Ron, I've made a couple runs in the flushing division at these events.  I've run in a MUGS series and a WI series event and have had a good time and met some good people.  The thing that made it tough to stick with it was the $$.   Depending on the series, a competitor can make multiple runs on the same course and of the top finishers, it was always their second run that got them placed high.  I don't have the dough to make two runs at $110 apiece, especially when I can take that $110 and have 7 birds put in a field for me and hunt all morning instead of 15 minutes.  There are plenty of good dogs that compete in it and it helps breeders get their name a little recognition. 

Its the same as for any dog competition, it fits for some people but not all.  Dogs may be great in BDC but not in the AKC or the field.  I used to run Bear Trials too, and some of the best bear trial dogs would never be taken in the field.

Chukar and Pheasant Propogation - Trust my advice based on the knowledge that I have not been doing this very long and don't know a lot more than I do know...  But at least I know that I don't know
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »