Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:41:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Adding Pictures to your message is EASY! 
While creating a topic, click on ADDITIONAL OPTIONS and then the Browse
button. Select a picture file from your computer and your done!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  To the newbies and wantabies
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: To the newbies and wantabies  (Read 19853 times)
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

EST. 2001 Owner/Operator Located in Slate, WV

« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2006, 05:17:00 AM »

Ohio just wants your $40 a year. It's all about the $$$$$$ anyway. I haven't seen or spoken to anyone from the DNR yet.

In the state of WV, prior to even receiving your game farm license you have to have a valid WV Business License. Once you have the business license you then must have the birds prior to even getting the game farm license.

Ya I know, @$$ backwards. You would think that you would be issued the game farm license prior to the receiving of any birds.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

I know what you mean Steve, WV has some really strange laws. I'm surprised they don't require a permit for living near a mountain/hill.

You're the third person from Ohio that I have spoken to that has said the same thing.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
dbbquilt55
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2006, 01:31:48 PM »

Hello, this is my first time to your site and I have a few questions. I am basicly a backyard chicken person and have a few baby ducks and 3 grown guineas. My son just informed me that he has ordered me 30 ring neck pheasants from McMurray. I live in SC. Do I have to have a permit to have them? I have several broody hens on fake eggs. Are they large enough (baby pheasants) to put under a few broodies to raise. One of my broodies just hatched 4 ducklings and one hatched 15 guinea keets for me. I have reseached and found that I need a high protein diet for them. I have that covered since that is what I am feeding the ducklings and keets. Any advice would me helpful. Dee
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2006, 05:47:08 PM »

Hello, this is my first time to your site and I have a few questions. I am basicly a backyard chicken person and have a few baby ducks and 3 grown guineas. My son just informed me that he has ordered me 30 ring neck pheasants from McMurray. I live in SC. Do I have to have a permit to have them? I have several broody hens on fake eggs. Are they large enough (baby pheasants) to put under a few broodies to raise. One of my broodies just hatched 4 ducklings and one hatched 15 guinea keets for me. I have reseached and found that I need a high protein diet for them. I have that covered since that is what I am feeding the ducklings and keets. Any advice would me helpful. Dee

Welcome.......I have no experience with what you are wanting to attempt, but my guess would be that you would be taking a chance even if someone else had pulled it off, your chickens may not take a liking to the pheasants or vise-versa and end in a disaster. I would guess that the pheasants won't take to your chicken, especially after the trip they are about to encounter. If they were hatched by the chicken, that may be a different story? Why not put them in a brooder?

As far as a permit goes, you may want to check with your DNR, someone may chime in that's familiar with your state.

Just a suggestion.......you may want to start a new individual post for each question or concern that you have in the appropriate topic. Instead of putting multiple questions in a single post under an already established thread. Not trying to be critical, you may just get more responses that way.   

I'm not much help......but, welcome to the forum, nontheless.

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
dbbquilt55
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2006, 09:13:32 PM »

Thanks, Trailbossusa, I appreciate your response. YOu are probably right since they are being shipped. The hen that is raising the ducks and the one with the keets, both hatched them and was not just placed under them as babies.
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2006, 10:16:15 PM »

riverbirch asked about permits, thought I'd bump this up....
bgsbirds

« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2006, 01:53:10 AM »

missouri has 7 different permits.  anywhere from $7 to $50 per year.  to sell or posess more than 50 birds,  northern/eastern (normal) bobwhite, ringneck pheasant, wild turkey, and  grey partridge, not chukars.  their game law book is so vage you have to contact jeff city headquarters on any thing and everything.  they too seem only interested in the cash flow.  i do have a breeders permit but most don't want to mess with any permit.  makes it hard to legally sell any of the birds that require a permit.  my understanding is that the permit is supposed to protect native species,  ringnecks and partridge are not native to the U. S.  normal bobwhite, tn red, mx speckled are as well as gambles, mountain, blue scaled and ca. valley yet they as well as all the mutations are not regulated.  sure sounds like give me the money and do what you want cause we really don't care, we just want your money!
Hinkjc

www.thebonegrinders.com

« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2006, 10:29:19 PM »

We our Pa permitted.
 I like when the PGC stops in to check out my pens.
 We always get into chatting awhile about hunting and other breeders etc..

Charlie

~~~~~~
Buff Orpingtons,
Btm Black Orpington,
LF Modern Araucana,
Lavender AKA Self blue Orpington project,
Lavender AKA Self Blue LF Araucana Project,
Wild Eastern Turkeys,
Butler Bobwhites,
Pure White bobwhite,
Edwards Pheasant
Mutant pheasants
myriadin
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2007, 04:48:52 AM »

I'm in Santa Cruz CA, wanting to keep C. c. japonica (or other species) for pets and/or for egg-laying (for personal use).

Anyone know where I can find info on legal requirements in my area?

Much thanks.
TopKnot

« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2007, 01:22:19 PM »

Hey myriadin - try the following link:  http://www.dfg.ca.gov/licensing/pdffiles/fg1390b.pdf.  There is a link that in PDG that takes you to the actual Fish and Game code and describes when a license is required and what triggers a Class II license.  I've never raised Coturnix so don't know for sure but it does indicate that only species listed as game birds would require a license (e.g., valley quail, ringnecked pheasant, chukar, etc.)
myriadin
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2007, 04:42:54 PM »

Hey myriadin - try the following link:  http://www.dfg.ca.gov/licensing/pdffiles/fg1390b.pdf ... Fish and Game code ... it does indicate that only species listed as game birds would require a license (e.g., valley quail, ringnecked pheasant, chukar, etc.)

Thanks, TopKnot. That was exactly what I needed. The code mentions exotic game birds, but only regarding special permission required for their -release-. I don't intend to release C. c. japonica, so it seems I'm in the clear.

Now, hopefully, California doesn't prohibit the -import- of the birds.
wildergamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2007, 08:46:43 PM »

Thanks, TopKnot. That was exactly what I needed. The code mentions exotic game birds, but only regarding special permission required for their -release-. I don't intend to release C. c. japonica, so it seems I'm in the clear.

Now, hopefully, California doesn't prohibit the -import- of the birds.
[/quote]

There is another thing to consider that may not apply to you, but will to others.  Although no permit is needed from your wildlife department for certain birds, your agriculture department may require something, especially before you can sell birds, or eggs.  

This seems to be the case in Missouri.  

I wouldn't suggest violating any ordinances, or regulations, but the wildlife codes would be my main concern.  I do have enough Rebel in me that I might take the position that the State has no right to prevent, or regulate my feeding and providing for my family, or my ownself, when it comes to poultry (which is what coturnix are in this country).  

When nuts are outlawed, only outlaws will have nuts, look at France.
MtBullion Gamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2007, 08:54:55 PM »

I live in CA, and have a permit with Department of Fish and Game for native birds, Valley, Mt, Chukar and Pheasant.  I have to have health certificates before I can ship any birds or eggs.  Hopefully I will get that soon.  But I can sell any and all from my farm now.  A business license isn't even required in my county.  Some County's are different.  I would check with the local Health Department, they should be able to steer you in the right direction. 

Now it is not required by the Dept of F&G to have a permit for non-native birds like bobwhites.  And I can receive anything thru the mail, as long as the shipper has their health certificates for live birds.

Teresa
Mt. Bullion Gamebirds
www.mtbulliongamebirds.com
Licensed Gamebird Breeder by the California Department of Fish and Game.  A.I. clean tested.  Not currently N.P.I.P.
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2007, 12:24:43 AM »

I'm in Santa Cruz CA, wanting to keep C. c. japonica (or other species) for pets and/or for egg-laying (for personal use).

Anyone know where I can find info on legal requirements in my area?

Much thanks.

One thing that I would bet my paycheck on, is that it will not be legal for you to raise any kind of gamebird or poultry within the city limits on a balcony. I can't see any government agency issuing you any permit/license to do such a deed. Most all cities across this nation have strict ordinances on not permitting livestock within their city limits, especially on a balcony. Some of these laws are meant to keep animals from being raised in "cruel and unusual" enviroment. Let alone the unsanitary conditions it would put on the unsuspecting neighbors.

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
TopKnot

« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2007, 01:33:19 PM »

A slight clarification (which I'm sure Teresa is aware of being a breeder and hunter - so this more for other newbies in CA), the code applies to those species designated as gamebirds in the state of CA, it makes no distinction whether the species is native or not.  For example, ring-necked pheasant and chukar are not native but considered gamebirds, hence a license would be required to sell.  As Teresa correctly stated, bobwhites and coturnix would not require a license since they are not designated as gamebirds in the state.
MtBullion Gamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2007, 01:52:14 PM »

Thanks for clarifying that TopKnot, yes you are right Pheasant and Chukar are not native.  You explained it perfectly, native vs gamebirds.  My mistake.  Thanks.

Teresa
Mt. Bullion Gamebirds
www.mtbulliongamebirds.com
Licensed Gamebird Breeder by the California Department of Fish and Game.  A.I. clean tested.  Not currently N.P.I.P.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »