Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 03:43:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Buy & Sell Gamebirds online!
Click Here for TQP Auction & Ads
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Raising phoenix
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Raising phoenix  (Read 4157 times)
myriadin
« on: June 26, 2007, 10:23:47 PM »

Through a New-Age classified section, I have contacted a breeder selling phoenix eggs. I've purchased a half-dozen, which should arrive within 3-6 days.

I have some questions regarding the incubation/brooding/keeping of these birds.

1. I have purchased some kevlar-weave gloves for handling the eggs. Will these be adequate to protect me from the heat, or should I use steel tongs to turn them?

2. I am told an incubation temperature of 1,230F degrees is appropriate. I have built an incubator which varies between 1,190F and 1255F, based on half-hourly pyrometer readings. Will this range produce good results?

3. My brooder and adult cages are constructed of commercial cinder block. Do these have a high anough fire-resistance rating, or do I need an additional fire-retardant layer? Possibly refractory cement?

4. How much distance in the cage do I need between the nests and the birds' water and food to avoid evaporation and copmbustion of the feed? (I am told the flame temperature when the birds ignite can exceed 2,000F degrees.)

5. I understand that the propogation of phoenix  (as a mythical animal) is not addressed in specific by local laws. Am I liable by any general laws for the possible destruction of local wildlife by my phoenix if I release them? Could a local court "prove" that the release of such animals had destroyed local wildlife (or farm animals) even though the scientific community doesn't even acknowledge their existence?

Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

(Edited to correct some really awkward sentences.)
« Last Edit: June 27, 2007, 09:30:49 PM by myriadin » Logged
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2007, 10:29:12 PM »

I would have to say that you do not have to worry about anything you posted.

After all, it's just a chicken. (Really !)
« Last Edit: June 26, 2007, 10:33:27 PM by Reeves » Logged
Vrex

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2007, 05:14:58 PM »

They sound like our typical set-ups here in Phoenix, arizona.  We are cooling down this week temp is only 111 degrees today.
gsc
Expert Member

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2007, 06:00:58 PM »

I got to say, I like this one!!! :laugh:
jk
Expert Member

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2007, 09:11:29 PM »

Good one...  :laugh:

American Game Bantams, Wood Ducks, and Mandarins.
myriadin
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2007, 10:08:37 PM »

After all, it's just a chicken. (Really !)

The taxonomy of the phoenix has actually been under dispute through the years. The Egyptians originally considered it similar to the stork or heron, while the Greeks and Romans likened it alternately to the peacock or to the eagle. One researcher noted similarities to the East African flamingo. I guess I'll have to just wait and see when they hatch. (My egg supplier, from Heliotropolis, was unable to provide pictures of hatched phoenix. It seems they're camera-shy.)

Meanwhile, where am I gonna find cinnamon twig ash for their hatching-beds? ???
gsc
Expert Member

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2007, 11:53:14 PM »

Have you tried the gamekeeper at Hogwarts?  I understand he knows about most of this stuff.
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2007, 12:07:19 AM »

I thought the "Universe of Superheroes" comic book store burned up last sunday? I'm sure it did, I was there!

I bet the next question will be along the lines of, "do feed stores have feed"? Let's hope not.

:mrgreen:
« Last Edit: June 28, 2007, 12:09:54 AM by trailbossusa » Logged

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
myriadin
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2007, 02:27:31 PM »

Have you tried the gamekeeper at Hogwarts?  I understand he knows about most of this stuff.

Unfortunately, I'm told that the Hogwarts gamekeeper has been called away suddenly to deal with an outbreak of salamanders (the fiery kind) in Oregon, USA. They seem to be attracted to the underground fungus Armillaria ostoyae. Perhaps there is some nutritional factor at work here.

My egg supplier seems to be unable to advise me in regard to raising the chicks...perhaps due to their inability to contain the chicks themselves. Hmph.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »