Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:37:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Buy & Sell Gamebirds online!
Click Here for TQP Auction & Ads
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Individual State/Country Discussion
| | |-+  Iowa
| | | |-+  Iowa laws
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Iowa laws  (Read 33643 times)
mobe_45
Expert Member

« on: June 11, 2008, 09:19:59 PM »

In Iowa you have to have a permit from the DNR to raise gamebirds for sale.
no permit is needed for you to raise for personal consumption/ dog training.

Mark
LM GOA
Benefactor NRA
PF Member
LM NAHC
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

EST. 2001 Owner/Operator Located in Slate, WV

« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2008, 05:13:32 AM »

In Iowa you have to have a permit from the DNR to raise gamebirds for sale.
no permit is needed for you to raise for personal consumption/ dog training.

Do you have a permit? If so, what are the requirements? Price?

Without a permit, do you have to register with the DNR, do you have to keep any log or records on what birds are release, where they are released, required banding?

Who can you purchase your birds from? Is there a paper trail from the licensed breeder to the state?

Can you supply any links to the DNR rules and regulations, regarding harboring wild game birds and what, your state considers as wild game birds?

These things would be more helpful if anyone from your state were to visit here, to see this type of information regarding the permit process.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
mobe_45
Expert Member

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2008, 05:30:22 PM »

I just checked the game breeders license price. It's $15.50 for a resident and $26.00 for a non resident.

http://www.iowadnr.com/license/prof.html
most of the rest of this post is off the application. It covers record keeping, Iowa code, etc.

The applicant must follow these steps in order to process the application in a timely manner:
Step 1: Forward the completed application to the DNR Law Enforcement Officer in the county that the
license will be assigned.
Step 2: The officer will inspect the applicant’s property, approve/disapprove the application and return
it to the applicant (new and non current applicants only).
Step 3: Send the officer-approved application along with the annual report (if a renewal) and the
appropriate license fee to:
IOWA DEPARTMENT OF NATURAL RESOURCES
CUSTOMER SERVICE BUREAU - LICENSING SECTION
WALLACE STATE OFFICE BUILDING
502 EAST 9TH STREET
DES MOINES IA 50319-0034

Iowa code:
GAME BREEDERS
481A.60 Raising Game -- rulemaking authority.
A person shall not raise or sell game or fur-bearing animals of the kinds protected by this chapter, except
rock doves and pigeons, without first procuring a game breeder’s license as provided by law. The
commission may adopt rules that ensure that all game birds, game animals, and fur-bearing animals
handled and confined by licensed game breeders are provided with humane care and treatment. A
violation of a rule adopted by the commission is a cause for license revocation. This section does not
apply to governmental zoos and exhibits.
481A.61 Licensed game breeders -- marketing game -- penalty.
1. Except as otherwise provided by law, a licensed game breeder whose original stock is
obtained from a lawful source may possess any game bird, game animal, or fur bearing animal, or any of
their parts. Possession and use of the game birds, game animals, or fur-bearing animals obtained from a
licensed game breeder are lawful.
2. Fur-bearing animals shall not be acquired for breeding or propagating purposes from any
source unless they have been pen-raised for at least two successive generations.
3. A game breeder’s license is not a license to possess, breed, propagate, sell, or dispose of any
species which is defined as endangered or threatened under state law unless the species is listed on the
license. Its possession, breeding, propagation, sale, and disposal are subject to all applicable state and
federal statutes.
4. A licensed game breeder shall not acquire protected live game animals, game birds, their
eggs, or fur-bearing animals taken from the wild within this state.
5. Game birds or game animals may be sold for food only under the following conditions:
a. The licensed game breeder shall file with the commission a facsimile of a stamp or similar
type to that used by the United States department of agriculture in grading meat.
b. Licensed game breeders may sell dressed game birds or game animals to market for resale
providing each game bird or game animal has affixed upon it in a conspicuous and legible manner the
imprint of the game breeder’s stamp.
c. The stamp shall bear the name and number of the game breeder in letters of at least twelvepoint
type size.
6. Markets selling stamped game shall:
a. Maintain the stamp on each game bird or game animal until the bird or animal is disposed of
or sold.
b. Keep a record showing the total number of game birds or game animals sold together with the
name and address of the game breeder from whom purchased and the number of game birds and
animals in each purchase.
7. Markets selling stamped game, together with their records, are subject to inspection by an
authorized representative of the commission at any reasonable time.
8. Violation of a provision of this section may be cause for license revocation.
481A.62 Records -- reports -- inspection.
1. A holder of a game breeder’s license shall keep the records and make the reports required by
this section on forms provided by the department. The records shall be open for inspection at any
reasonable time by the department or its authorized agents.
2. At the time of every sale or conveyance of an animal, animal parts, or products, the licensee
shall complete a game breeder’s sales receipt on forms provided by the department. The forms shall
require the following information.
a. The name, address, county, and license number assigned to the breeder.
b. The name and address of the purchaser.
c. The number, species, sex, and age of the animals or birds conveyed.
3. Licenses shall maintain business records for all species in an annual report record book. The
records shall include the following information.
a. For each animal acquired other than by birth on the licensee’s game farm, the sex and
species, the date of acquisition, the number acquired, and the name and address of the source from
which acquired.
b. For each animal born on the licensee’s game farm, the sex, species, date of birth, and number
of any band, tag, or tattoo subsequently attached to the animal.
c. For each animal sold or disposed of other than by death the same information required by the
game breeder’s sales receipt.
DNR Form Rev. 09-27-09 542-1362
d. For each animal which dies, disappears, or is destroyed on the licensee’s game farm, the sex,
species, date of death, and the number of any band, tag, or tattoo attached to the animal.
The licensee’s copies of the required sales receipts shall be kept with the record book and are
considered a part of it.
Records required by this section shall be entered in the annual report record book within fortyeight
hours of the event.
4. Each licensee shall file an annual report with the commission on or before January 31. The
report shall detail the game breeder’s operations during the preceding license year. The original report
shall be forwarded to the department and a copy shall be retained in the breeder’s file for a period of
three years from the date of expiration of the breeder’s last license issued. Failure to keep or submit the
required records and report are grounds for a refusal to renew a license for the succeeding year.
5. An on-site inspection of facilities shall be conducted by an officer of the commission prior to
the initial issuance of game breeder’s license. The facilities may be reinspected by an officer of the
commission at any reasonable time.
6. Any officer of the commission may enter any place where any game bird, game animal, or furbearing
animal is at the time located, or where it has been kept, or where the carcass of such animal may
be, for the purpose of examining it in any way that may be necessary to determine whether it was or is
infected with any contagious or infections disease.
7. For the purpose of this section, infectious and contagious disease includes rabies, hoof-andmouth
disease, leptospirosis, blackhead, or any other communicable disease so designated by the
commission.
8. The commission may regulate or prohibit the importation into the state and exportation from
the state of any species of game bird, game animal, or fur-bearing animal, domesticated or not, which in
its opinion, for any reason, is determined to be detrimental to the health of animals within or without the
state.
9. The commission may quarantine or destroy any game bird, game animal, or fur-bearing
animal which is found to be infected with any contagious or infectious disease.
10. A licensed game breeder or other person having control of any game bird, game animal, or
fur-bearing animal shall not knowingly offer for sale, sell, or barter such birds or animals which have an
infectious or contagious disease, or allow those birds or animals to run at large or come in contact with
any other game birds, game animals, or fur-bearing animals.

The following is a copy of the email I got from the DNR.

If the quail/pheasants are for your own exclusive use, you do not need a permit.  If the birds will be sold, given away or used by others - you will need the permit.

A permit application and information may be found at:  http://www.iowadnr.com/license/prof.html .

Please feel free to contact Steve Dermand (IDNR) at 515-281-4515 if you need any additional information.

Thanks.

Dave

>>> webmaster 4/30/2007 8:25 AM >>>
Thank you for using the Iowa DNR website. Your message will be forwarded to our licensing section for routing/reply. 

Thank you,
Webmaster, IDNR
dsm

Mark
LM GOA
Benefactor NRA
PF Member
LM NAHC
mobe_45
Expert Member

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2008, 10:43:45 PM »

"game birds" in Iowa are: wild turkey, ring neck pheasant, bobwhite quail, prairie chicken, hungarian partridge. Doves are protected but not a game bird yet. Prairie chickens have been introduced but are not at huntable populations yet.
 migratory birds are ducks, geese, snipe, woodcock, rails so I guess you would need a permit/license to raise these too. domestic versions do not need a breeders license.
We get some sandhill cranes that pass through here but can't hunt them.
Iowa has also been working on getting trumpeter swans restarted. This program is working well. I saw my first large (13) flight headed south this last bow season.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2008, 10:49:03 PM by mobe_45 » Logged

Mark
LM GOA
Benefactor NRA
PF Member
LM NAHC
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2008, 06:23:14 AM »

Mobe,

You didn't answer my question about:

Do you have a permit?

and.....Without a permit, do you have to register with the DNR, do you have to keep any log or records on what birds are release, where they are released, required banding?

Who can you purchase your birds from? Is there a paper trail from the licensed breeder to the state?

Steve
Pheasnt Hollow Farm

The rest of the information is great!

Thanks

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
mobe_45
Expert Member

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2008, 10:01:06 AM »

No, I don't have a permit as I only have them for me. I don't need to do any record keeping for the DNR since it's just my personal use birds.

If I were to change and want to sell any then I would have to get a permit and keep records for them.

I got the eggs to start with from GQF. most likely due to my inexperiece with them both sets only hatched about 65%.
If you want live chicks to start with the best price I've found is right here in my town at Murray McMurray hatchery http://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/index.html . You can get most turkey, geese, duck, pheasant, partridge and quail as eggs or chicks.
I don't know anyone who has released any legally and haven't read whether one needs to banmd the birds or not.
I think I'd band any just to see how long they lived, where they traveled, etc.

Mark
LM GOA
Benefactor NRA
PF Member
LM NAHC
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2008, 04:03:15 AM »

No, I don't have a permit as I only have them for me. I don't need to do any record keeping for the DNR since it's just my personal use birds.

If I were to change and want to sell any then I would have to get a permit and keep records for them.

I got the eggs to start with from GQF. most likely due to my inexperiece with them both sets only hatched about 65%.
If you want live chicks to start with the best price I've found is right here in my town at Murray McMurray hatchery http://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/index.html . You can get most turkey, geese, duck, pheasant, partridge and quail as eggs or chicks.
I don't know anyone who has released any legally and haven't read whether one needs to banmd the birds or not.
I think I'd band any just to see how long they lived, where they traveled, etc.

Thanks for that information.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

slider
Expert Member

What do you mean I have to press 1 for english.

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2008, 11:26:23 AM »

You are going to be real LUCKY to get a better hatch rate of 65 to 70% from any eggs that have been on an airplane....

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
mobe_45
Expert Member

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2008, 05:52:52 PM »

Slider, I never thought about an airplane making a diff. Thanks.

Mark
LM GOA
Benefactor NRA
PF Member
LM NAHC
mobe_45
Expert Member

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2009, 10:51:49 PM »

This is the link to apply for the gamebreeders permit. http://www.iowadnr.gov/cs/files/542-1363.pdf

Iowa code Title V sub title 4 chapter 196 covers egg handlers.
Iowa code title XI subtitle 6 chapter 481A.60 & 481A.61 cover more on gamebreeder stamps on meat sold.

Mark
LM GOA
Benefactor NRA
PF Member
LM NAHC
Stan Robinson

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2009, 12:22:24 AM »

Mark

You should check with your local DNR Officer. In the State of Iowa if you raise any indigenous species that is native to North America you ARE REQUIRED to have a state gamebreeder's licence.

It is illegal to posses any native gamebird without a gamebreder's licence receipt.

In other words to make myself more clear. You can own native gamebirds without the licence, but you must have a receipt showing that you bought the birds from licenced captive breeder. However you are not allowed to breed them without a gamebreeder's licence.
Think about it Game Breeder Licence. a licence allowing the game birds to propagate (breed).

And you are required by law to keep records as to what you sell, how many birds you raise, how many birds that die, and how many birds you purchase.

I hope this explains everything. If not email me, I'll be happy to help you out.
I've been doing this for 30+ years and have a very good standing with our local DNR Officer.

Stan Robinson
Squaw Creek Farm
Osceola, Iowa    stanleyf@iowatelecom.net

mobe_45
Expert Member

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2009, 10:53:13 PM »

Mark

You should check with your local DNR Officer. In the State of Iowa if you raise any indigenous species that is native to North America you ARE REQUIRED to have a state gamebreeder's licence.

It is illegal to posses any native gamebird without a gamebreder's licence receipt.

In other words to make myself more clear. You can own native gamebirds without the licence, but you must have a receipt showing that you bought the birds from licenced captive breeder. However you are not allowed to breed them without a gamebreeder's licence.
Think about it Game Breeder Licence. a licence allowing the game birds to propagate (breed).

And you are required by law to keep records as to what you sell, how many birds you raise, how many birds that die, and how many birds you purchase.

I hope this explains everything. If not email me, I'll be happy to help you out.
I've been doing this for 30+ years and have a very good standing with our local DNR Officer.

Stan Robinson
Squaw Creek Farm
Osceola, Iowa    stanleyf@iowatelecom.net

The following is a copy of the email I got from the DNR head office in Des Moines. I would trust them more than I would a local field agent as they have the complete manual of laws to use for their reply.

If the quail/pheasants are for your own exclusive use, you do not need a permit.  If the birds will be sold, given away or used by others - you will need the permit.

A permit application and information may be found at:  http://www.iowadnr.com/license/prof.html .

Please feel free to contact Steve Dermand (IDNR) at 515-281-4515 if you need any additional information.

Thanks.

Dave

>>> webmaster 4/30/2007 8:25 AM >>>
Thank you for using the Iowa DNR website. Your message will be forwarded to our licensing section for routing/reply. 

Thank you,
Webmaster, IDNR
dsm

Mark
LM GOA
Benefactor NRA
PF Member
LM NAHC
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »