Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:54:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
TQP Forum has a new look!  Let us know what you think!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Our Member's Section
| |-+  Generally Asked Questions
| | |-+  newbie question
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: newbie question  (Read 3326 times)
granmahen

Personal Text

« on: May 22, 2009, 03:33:27 PM »

I am new to quail raising. Right now I've one bobwhite about ready to lay eggs and no males. So anything she lays will be eaten. Am considering buying more females and a couple of males. My run is 4'x8' and eight feet high. Do I need to put a small coop in there with a wire bottom? Then let them out during the day? How about nesting boxes? s85
greyghost
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2009, 04:15:33 PM »

Dear Granmahen, your run sounds big enough. Giving the birds a place to get out of the rain will make you feel better, but I doubt your birds are smart enought to figure it out. You can leave them out all the time, they are very tough birds. If you are not going to incubate the eggs then yes, can certainly build nesting boxes. One more thought, if  you do put more birds in with her make sure they are the same size. Those cute little birds can be hard on each other. Good luck and have fun. Ghost.
kingwolf
Expert Member

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2009, 07:29:25 PM »

Bobs are probably the hardest kind of quail to get to use any kind of enclosed shelter it all really just depends on the bird if they're going to use it so you can try it but dont be surprised if they dont use it. one thing that could work to keep them out of most weather besides the wind is to just build a roof over half or a quarter of the pen and that way they wont feel as confined as a boxed in shelter but have all the same effects 

Chukar Partridge, California Valley Quail, Gambel Quail, Mountain Quail, Chestnut Blue Scale Quail, Snowflake Mexican Speckle, Tennessee Reds, Georgia Giants, Blonde Bobwhites, Dark cross bobwhites and always growing!
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2009, 11:59:22 PM »

To add to what has already been posted.......I've never had a BW hang out in any sort of an enclosure. They'll hang out in the rain and snow all hours of the day and night. I have some metal roofing that I put along one side of pen for them to get under if they ever need shelter and that's where I put there food and water too.  They tend to use more of an "open enclosure", in other words, just a roof.

As greyghost mentioned, mixing BW's of any age will result in death and it's not always the older (larger) ones that wins. Several young BW's will kill an adult. Do a search on here for "mixing", "different ages" and various other search words to learn more about what to do when mixing BW's.

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »