Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:54:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Adding Pictures to your message is EASY! 
While creating a topic, click on ADDITIONAL OPTIONS and then the Browse
button. Select a picture file from your computer and your done!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Our Member's Section
| |-+  Off Topic Discussion and Current Event's
| | |-+  Try this test...(& don't cheat)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Try this test...(& don't cheat)  (Read 5510 times)
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

EST. 2001 Owner/Operator Located in Slate, WV

« on: June 01, 2007, 05:25:08 PM »

The wife and I got 15 out of 25.

Try it out!!

http://www.oldjoeblack.0nyx.com/thinktst.htm

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
Chukar Breeder
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2007, 06:13:59 PM »

I got 17 :laugh:
Danmcc

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2007, 08:08:22 PM »

I got 19, mostly as a matter of luck because the test isn't really fair in that more information is required from the question to make a correct choice.  For example, the answer to the question about the direction of a fan's rotation would depend upon which side of the fan the observer uses to determine which direction the fan is turning.

Dan
Britton Howe

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2007, 11:05:08 PM »

CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2007, 09:28:10 AM »

I got 19, mostly as a matter of luck because the test isn't really fair in that more information is required from the question to make a correct choice.  For example, the answer to the question about the direction of a fan's rotation would depend upon which side of the fan the observer uses to determine which direction the fan is turning.

Dan

The direction of any electric motor is determined by looking at the shaft end of the motor.

Of course a double shafted motor turns in both directions!

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
Danmcc

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2007, 12:19:52 AM »

Hmmm, I guess I do learn something new everyday.  Usually it is relearning something, due to my poor memory.  Thanks for the info.

Dan
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2007, 12:50:50 AM »

Usually it is relearning something, due to my poor memory. 

I know what you mean there, mine gets worse by the day it seems.  It drives me crazy when I can't even remember somebody's name that I've known my entire life! Maybe your mind just gets rid of stuff that you don't use very often??.......I think that is the excuse I will use!.........problem is that my mind can't seem to distinquish the useless information from the useful information!!

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
myriadin
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2007, 05:32:11 PM »

Dan

The direction of any electric motor is determined by looking at the shaft end of the motor.

Of course a double shafted motor turns in both directions!

I've seen double-shafted fans, used to draw air out of two seperate rooms into an outflow pipe.  :laugh: Of course, the direction a fan rotates is completely arbitrary. It only happens that motors are more often (and therefore more cheaply) made to rotate clockwise. There is no reason whatsoever against fans being made to rotate counter-clockwise.

I scored 22. Surprised me which ones I missed.

The hot dog bun question threw me, of all things. I've always resented that they're packaged in groups of eight, since the hot dogs themselves always come in 10- or 12-packs. I always have leftover buns, which invariably go bad before the (rare) next time I buy hot dogs. When answering the question, I imagined the hot dogs in 8-packs, so assumed the buns came in six. Argh.

The VHF dial threw me because I know there's a Channel 13, but forgot the absence of a channel 1. WHY isn't there a Channel 1 ???

I missed the smoking sign question...no excuse, I simply wasn't visualizing correctly. But, tell me, what's the (supposed) difference between "Towards top right" and "Towards bottom left"? I think this is just to confuse people.

Also, what is a "Standard traffic light"? All over the world there exist traffic lights with green on top. Quite a few places have traffic lights in a horizontal row, rather than vertical. Cultural/geographic bias at work here.

And what is a "Standard car wheel"? I've seen plenty with six or eight lugs. If there were a real "standard", then a tire from one car would fit any other.

"Women's blouse". Hmm. My wife wears my shirts all the time, enough that some of them might as well be hers. None of them have buttons on the left side. On the other hand, I have several waffle-knit shirts I bought from the "women's" section of a store because they didn't have what I wanted in the "men's" area. They have buttons on the left. Are they still "women's" shirts? I've been told that the institution of differently-buttoned shirts came as a result of ambiguity in puritanical laws against cross-dressing. The only way the magistrates could tell the difference was by requiring women to use the (awkward for a right-hander) left side buttons.

The question about the seven dwarfs has me wondering whether the author of the quiz actually watches the movie "everyday". <chuckle>
« Last Edit: June 26, 2007, 06:05:25 PM by myriadin » Logged
schultz
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2007, 06:32:32 PM »

Got a 21
WHITNEYPLU
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2007, 09:06:48 PM »

18 here
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »