Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:05:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Thank you for making us one of the highest ranking gamebird sites on the internet!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Hunting Gamebirds
| |-+  Hunting Gamebirds
| | |-+  Johnny House Birds
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Johnny House Birds  (Read 7004 times)
Redhorse
Expert Member

« on: July 30, 2004, 10:28:28 AM »

I have my breeders in a JH and open it to collect my eggs. One of the birds escaped, so I opened the recall door and it was back in the next morning. However my first batch of young are in a second JH and after releasing 10 of them two days ago none have come back. They are around 8 weeks old and had been in the JH for a couple weeks before I tried releasing any. There are 15 still in the JH and they called to each other a lot all afternoon when I released them. Now I don't hear any calling and the birds are gone? What should I have done differently? :?

Shotgun, bird dog, 4X4!!!!!
Fivehollers
Expert Member

Miss Hannah Mae Pike

« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2004, 08:51:19 AM »

I can't answer that one cause we have the opposite problem. We released them and they won't leave.  :lol:

Five Hollers Quail Farm
Redhorse
Expert Member

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2004, 02:06:26 PM »

Well I haven't checked out there today yet, but one did come back after 2 days on the lamb! Hatched out another batch over the weekend so I've got another 20 little ones to figure it out with. Just didn't want to wait this long to start working the dog on these birds. At this rate I'll already be into hunting season before I get birds that will play the game. :(

Redhorse
Expert Member

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2005, 08:23:09 AM »

Two of those birds came back this summer. Can't believe that out of that few birds that got released, they made it through the winter. Have lived here ten years and never saw the first quail anywhere in my county. Can only assume these birds were mine. :laugh: 

cmgamebirdman
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2005, 03:48:01 PM »

There is a new system out there that has been working really well to keep your covey close to home. It has a covey base that feeds and waters them and a automatic recall recording that is operated by photo cell that calls your birds back to the camp, which keeps you from having to put a real recall bird out there, which attracts predators. The recall recording goes off periodically throughout the day and goes off at night to call them back to base and safety.
It is also great for hunting preserves that want to call back birds that have been lost due to missed shots. It will recover those missed shots back to use another day! WOW!!! It is awesome and developed by the nations leading gamebird biologist. Soon we will have them for sale on our site so please check back often!

cmgamebirdman
CM Game Bird Farm & Hatchery
www.game-birds.net
cmgf@bellsouth.net
 http://groups.google.com/group/Game-Bird-Enthusiasts
Redhorse
Expert Member

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2005, 04:16:52 PM »

If you are talking about the Covey Base Camp system, I posted a link to Quality Wildlife Products ( the manufacturer/distributor ) on this site long ago. So much information was lost when the site was moved. I am currently using their feed and watering system in one of my JH. Have not employed a base camp yet, but discussed it at length with other members.

Steelshot

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2005, 09:47:05 PM »

I am considering building a johnny house and was wondering how many bobwhites you usually put in one about 4'x4' square.
Redhorse
Expert Member

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2005, 10:20:55 PM »

Between 25-30 birds. This feed system only needs refilled about every 2 weeks with that number of birds. The JH pictured above is 4'X4'.

Steelshot

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2005, 12:25:08 AM »

Thanks for the reply Red Horse seems like that is what I had read. I just wanted to know from someone who is currently using one.
Redhorse
Expert Member

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2005, 10:06:53 AM »

By spring when those hens get ready to start laying, you'll have a pecking problem with your males. Releasing part of the birds every day helps with that. Won't make the problem go away though. Bumped it down to 25 birds to see if that would make a difference...they just picked a different male to beat on!

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »