Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 04:51:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Hope everyone had a great year.  Welcome to 2013.  Our monthly drawings will be starting back soon!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  damn raccoons............
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: damn raccoons............  (Read 26909 times)
birdlover17
Expert Member

Adult Coturnix Male

« Reply #45 on: June 19, 2008, 10:29:22 AM »

Funny thing i baited last night with sardines, when i woke up this morning, noticed that the sardines were all gone but no raccoon trapped.  I know the trap works, this coon thinks he's smart and can get away.  Any ideas, maybe by placing the bait on the step lever that allows the front door to close?

Thanks!!

"People live like birds in the woods: When the time comes, each must take flight."

Raise Coturnix Quail, Ringneck Pheasant, Ringneck Doves for hobby.
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #46 on: June 19, 2008, 10:42:40 AM »

Four pages..... ::)

common sense
–noun sound practical judgment that is independent of specialized knowledge, training, or the like; normal native intelligence. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Origin: 1525–35; trans. of L sénsus commūnis, itself trans. of Gk koin aísthésis]

—Related forms
common-sense, com·mon·sense, adjective
com·mon·sen·si·cal, com·mon·sen·si·ble, adjective
com·mon·sen·si·cal·ly, com·mon·sen·si·bly, adverb

common sense

practical good sense
Example: If he has any common sense he'll change jobs. Arabic: إدْراك سَليم، إحْساس فِطْري صَحيح
Chinese (Simplified): 常识
Chinese (Traditional): 常識
Czech: zdravý rozum
Danish: sund fornuft; omtanke
Dutch: gezond verstand
Estonian: terve mõistus
Finnish: terve järki
French: sens commun
German: gesunder Menschenverstand
Greek: κοινός νους, κοινή λογική
Hungarian: józan ész
Icelandic: heilbrigð skynsemi
Indonesian: akal sehat
Italian: buon senso*
 Japanese: 常識
Latvian: veselais saprāts
Lithuanian: sveikas protas
Norwegian: sunn fornuft
Polish: zdrowy rozsądek
Portuguese (Brazil): bom senso
Portuguese (Portugal): senso comum
Romanian: simţ al realităţii
Russian: здравый смысл
Slovak: zdravý rozum
Slovenian: zdrava pamet
Spanish: sentido común
Swedish: sunt förnuft
Turkish: sağduyu

slider
Expert Member

What do you mean I have to press 1 for english.

« Reply #47 on: June 19, 2008, 10:45:50 AM »

First of all if you have never trapped racoon in a live trap, it is a very tricky thing. Racoons will never step on the trigger  they step over things in the wild not on them. You have to set a very "HAIR" trigger on the trap so when it gets inside and eats the bait then when it truns around and moves the trap a little the trigger will throw....
« Last Edit: June 19, 2008, 10:50:03 AM by slider » Logged

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
slider
Expert Member

What do you mean I have to press 1 for english.

« Reply #48 on: June 19, 2008, 10:53:50 AM »

Well no more needs to be said...Reeves just said it all. s020 s020

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
birdlover17
Expert Member

Adult Coturnix Male

« Reply #49 on: June 19, 2008, 01:15:06 PM »

very funny huh Reeves, ....not really  your  not the only one who can have more than one page......... ::) ::)             t15

Yeah for the trap i'll set it very light, in a sense that the slightlest movement while in the trap will bring down the lever. Sounds like this time i'll finally catch it.

"People live like birds in the woods: When the time comes, each must take flight."

Raise Coturnix Quail, Ringneck Pheasant, Ringneck Doves for hobby.
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #50 on: June 19, 2008, 01:33:12 PM »

Raccoons are large and powerful animals. When caught, they lunge and leap about often breaking a weak trap or tripping the locking mechanism and releasing the trap door.

When handling a live 'coon in the trap, be careful as they are quick and strong. Stun the animal with a rap on the nose with a stout stick, then kill it by drowning or by stepping on its chest and stopping the heart. Then declare "self-defense" when the authorities show up.   ^-^

Some can be brought into the house as pets, much like a lemur.  They are odorless and are easily potty trained.

jimmurray3
Expert Member

« Reply #51 on: June 19, 2008, 02:06:21 PM »

Charliehorse that is one of the funnier things I've heard for a wile but I think birdlover17 should try that. :evil:
jaime7997
Expert Member

« Reply #52 on: June 19, 2008, 11:34:28 PM »

Some can be brought into the house as pets, much like a lemur.  They are odorless and are easily potty trained.

LOL!!! The lemur does have a striped tail like the bandit you speak of....
I too have had my fair share of trying to catch those darn coons and no luck. Either the trap is too light and it goes off before the coon even comes or it doesn't go off at all. I hate those things. Both the coons and the traps. s80
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

EST. 2001 Owner/Operator Located in Slate, WV

« Reply #53 on: June 20, 2008, 06:23:28 AM »

Funny thing i baited last night with sardines, when i woke up this morning, noticed that the sardines were all gone but no raccoon trapped.  I know the trap works, this coon thinks he's smart and can get away.  Any ideas, maybe by placing the bait on the step lever that allows the front door to close?

Thanks!!

Okay, here's the deal  s020

If you have a Hav-a-hart box trap or similar, you will have to:

1) put 1/4" hardware cloth wire around the back 1/2 section of the trap(Top, bottom, back and sides) The coons will reach in for the food in this area. That is the reason for the wire.

2) make sure that what ever you are placing in the box trap is against the back wall and wired down. If you are using sardines, wire the can to the bottom of the trap. If you are using either chicken or Ribs, NYS coons like this I have found, and being from LI, NY and having my fare share) wire the pieces to the back wall of the trap.

3) stake down the box trap so it will not move, as CharlieHorse had mentioned, the coon, if trapped will get out by either rolling the trap or bouncing inside the trap jarring the door open.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
NH/Pete
Expert Member

« Reply #54 on: June 20, 2008, 08:43:17 AM »

Could be a black and white coon j41

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."
Abraham Lincoln
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #55 on: June 20, 2008, 09:25:17 AM »

::)

A polecat.  I thought of that............wouldn't that be funnier than I'll get out!!?

I can see it now.........................in a trap nonetheless, that has to be opened by hand......that would be great!     LOL!!

j47

^-^
« Last Edit: June 20, 2008, 10:11:57 AM by CharlieHorse » Logged

NH/Pete
Expert Member

« Reply #56 on: June 20, 2008, 09:48:19 AM »

Or smell it now j45

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."
Abraham Lincoln
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #57 on: June 20, 2008, 09:54:03 AM »

He already said (a page or two back) that he saw it and it was black with white stripes.

i9
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #58 on: June 20, 2008, 11:32:00 AM »

Birdlover,

Here are some picture that may help. These are the type that I use.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Picture 1

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #59 on: June 20, 2008, 11:33:05 AM »

Picture 2

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Go Up Print 
« previous next »