Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 07:39:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Hope everyone had a great year.  Welcome to 2013.  Our monthly drawings will be starting back soon!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Keeping a covey of Valley quail in the same pen.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Keeping a covey of Valley quail in the same pen.  (Read 2476 times)
amherst333

Personal Text

« on: February 09, 2014, 10:37:23 PM »

Hi guys, this is my first post and I'm hoping you can help with a few questions. I have kept Pheasants for a few years and have always wanted to get a few California quail. I have a pen that is 6X8 that I would like to keep them in. It is wire floored and enclosed over 2/3 of its length.  I would like to get two trios and keep them in there year around. My question is would the males fight during breeding season or is the pen big enough and have enough females to keep two males happy? I have a number of logs, rocks, and ornamental grasses in there to make it look natural. If not, would it help if I raised the ratio of females to males? Thanx a bunch!
RedOakGamebirds
Administrator
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2014, 03:14:31 PM »

I have a few pens with the same dimensions and have alot more in there than that and have absolutely no issues.  Good luck.  I believe I still have some pictures of all the Valley Quail together in that pen on the homepage redoakgamebirds.com

Larry

We manufacture egg shipping foam!
Pollorum/Typhoid/Avian Free
NPIP 52-186
Member NAGA and Virginia Game Bird Asociation
amherst333

Personal Text

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2014, 11:35:15 PM »

That's great! So you keep them in the same pen throughout breeding season also? Thanx for the info,

-tony
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »