Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:06:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Buy & Sell Gamebirds online!
Click Here for TQP Auction & Ads
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Questions about introducing two new birds to my Mountain Quail
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Questions about introducing two new birds to my Mountain Quail  (Read 3190 times)
camden

Personal Text

« on: November 05, 2011, 12:53:12 PM »

I have 5 mountain quail in an outdoor pen and in the next few days I'll be getting two new mountain quail to add in with them.  My 5 mountains are a year and a half old (hatched May 2010) and the two new ones are 6 months (hatched May 2011).  Of my 5 birds, three are male and two are female and the two new birds I'll be adding are both female so there will be a ratio of 3 males to 4 females all told.  I only started raising mountains for the first time last year so i'm still a bit of a newbie -- what's the best way to introduce the 2 new quail to the others?  should i be worried about them fighting or killing each other?  I know mountains are particularly wild and territorial quail so I don't know quite what to expect.  I've waited til November to get the new ones so that I can introduce them during their "off season" but I don't know if the age difference will cause problems or if they'll see the new birds as intruders on their established territory and attack or kill them as a result.
Could I get some help?

My plan right now is to first keep the two new quail inside an adjacent pen where theyre separated by clear plexiglass and can see and hear each other and hopefully get used to each other and then after 3 or 4 days of keeping them like that I'd put them in together.  Might also put down some greens or treats when joining them to distract them a little.  Dunno how well this plan will work though so any tips or advice would be great!  Finding these birds to begin with was quite a process so I'd hate to lose them by introducing them the wrong way.
slider
Expert Member

What do you mean I have to press 1 for english.

« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2011, 10:19:35 PM »

hate to say this but you have a hard chore ahead of you. I would only try it with a hugh pen...

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2011, 08:17:45 PM »

As "slider" mentioned........How big is the pen that they will be introduced to each other in?

I know nothing of Mountain quail, my experience is with Bob Whites, in which are ruthless killers of any strangers, even their own siblings taken out for a few days aren't welcome back!  I would mix them into a large pen after at least a week of using the method that you speak of. Only difference is, I would put the "newbies" in a small wire pen directly in the large pen......for at least a week. Another thing I did was let the "newbies" in with the others just after dark so they would have time to mix and mingle, yet it would be too dark for them to see to do any homocide attempts or assaults on the strangers and hopefully be buddies by sunrise.  I never lost a one this way and never had any bloodshed.  Keep in mind.....I know nothing of Mountain quail.

Good Luck!

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »