Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 08:03:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Hope everyone had a great year.  Welcome to 2013.  Our monthly drawings will be starting back soon!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Brooding and Raising
| | |-+  WHEN DO WILD BABIES LEAVE HOME?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: WHEN DO WILD BABIES LEAVE HOME?  (Read 3068 times)
Flieger
« on: July 06, 2004, 11:30:29 AM »

Last year was our first pheasant release {actually, a few escaped our family put-and-take}.

Anyway, I now see 5 babies with a hen and a cock.

Can anyone help me with the timeline as to when the mob will break up?  Comparing these "wild" birds with the new ones in our flight pen, they appear to have hatched around May 1.  They will flush and fly, and the cocks among them are beginning to color.

So what happens next?  Does the cock leave first?  What happens then?

Any comments will be greatly appreciated!!
stewaw
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2004, 06:29:14 PM »

Not positive on pen raised pheasant but I know wild quail do the following. The young will typically stay near mom and dad until the late fall at which time they undergo a process known as the "fall shuffle".  This is where the young leave their home ranges and move some distance where they join with other "new" coveys.  Distance traveled varies but in Oklahoma, one radio collared bird traveled 15 miles from where it was trapped as a 5-8 week old chick. This expands the range into new areas and controls inbreeding.  One of those "nature knows best" things.........

David
Flieger
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2004, 08:57:21 PM »

Interesting.

I have been surprised the little pheasant family group around our place has stayed together.  I always thought that the cocks may service several hens, but than leave after nesting with one of them.  Since we don't have pheasants around here except for mine, we figured that was why he hung around as long as he did.

Is it possible that this family group will stay together when the young birds reach adulthood?
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »