Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 07:00:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Hope everyone had a great year.  Welcome to 2013.  Our monthly drawings will be starting back soon!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Our Member's Section
| |-+  Off Topic Discussion and Current Event's
| | |-+  11-07-08 Feast for the Beast, in Mankind
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 11-07-08 Feast for the Beast, in Mankind  (Read 25721 times)
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

EST. 2001 Owner/Operator Located in Slate, WV

« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2008, 03:52:17 AM »

Now, do we have any brave souls out there that want to show their smoking/cooking/grilling/roasting skills?

We have had the topic: Why not share different recipes? started by a former member, frank_lap_127.  Located here for those that missed it http://www.thatquailplace.com/smf/index.php?topic=4890.0

There were only two post which contained pictures, and these were from birdlover showing his baking skills

and jaime7997 with her two cakes.

So..... let's see the meals being prepared if your up to the task, naturally of course.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2008, 04:05:33 AM »

Hey ode,

j2 Know you don't have an excuse to not show your cookies, and the process in making them.  j2

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
slider
Expert Member

What do you mean I have to press 1 for english.

« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2008, 12:41:26 PM »

Nice job Steve...as of this past weekend I have 4 nice fresh venison tenderloins.

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
birdlover17
Expert Member

Adult Coturnix Male

« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2008, 01:31:47 PM »

hey steve,

thanks for posting that recipe sounds great, i might try to make a cake like a turkey similar to jaime7997 but mine will have the actually feather patterns and colors, instead of just the chocolate.

"People live like birds in the woods: When the time comes, each must take flight."

Raise Coturnix Quail, Ringneck Pheasant, Ringneck Doves for hobby.
ode2god
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2008, 08:26:16 PM »

Hey ode,

j2 Know you don't have an excuse to not show your cookies, and the process in making them.  j2

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            ohhhh no excuses ill beguin the torment starting  the wk following thanksgiving :evil: ....by then i hope to have a digital camera again my daughter broke hers  however  in the mean time i'll put a couple of recipes up for yall if you'd like to make them yourselves lol  j41 but they wont have me irish majik in em  i4 , so i cant promise how well yours will turn out... j45
ode2god
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2008, 08:36:35 PM »

little question a29 ...in thought to thanks giving.... ya'll do know the way to moist turkey breast is to cook it belly down and sealed in foil till the last 15-20 min right  ..then leave belly down when you take it out but suck out most of the drippings with the baister n leave covered  with the foil until you serve so it dont dry out ...also remember guys to cover yer biscuits with a clean kitchen towel after they come out of the oven to keep moist and fresh tasting 0009 this goes for most baked goods that way theyre not to moist ,not dry either  a31 a26
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2008, 02:48:37 AM »

little question a29 ...in thought to thanks giving.... ya'll do know the way to moist turkey breast is to cook it belly down and sealed in foil till the last 15-20 min right  ..then leave belly down when you take it out but suck out most of the drippings with the baister n leave covered  with the foil until you serve so it dont dry out ...also remember guys to cover yer biscuits with a clean kitchen towel after they come out of the oven to keep moist and fresh tasting 0009 this goes for most baked goods that way theyre not to moist ,not dry either  a31 a26

ode,

I smoke the turkey as well. I keep the water pan in the smoker filled with apple juice, and smoke with apple wood chips until the bird (IT) reaches 160* Then I'll take it out of the smoker, foil wrap and then do the oven for the balance of cooking time.

For chicken, I do it the same way, but using either Hickory or Mesquite wood chips and orange juice in the water pan. Then I will foil warp and place it on the rotisserie on The BBQ for the final cooking period. Then the cool down.

After the final cooking stage has completed, I put it in the frig with a towel wrap for the slow cool down process.

I do the Pheasants the same way as well. I will have to try birdlovers (string tied aroung the neck) culling idea. At least I won't have to throw the bird.  s020

I don't do biscuits or cookies. I still have to try birdlovers apple pie though.:?:

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

ode2god
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2008, 11:22:36 AM »

id love to smoke a turkey ...but in the city they call the durn fire dept on you if you try to use a smoke house  around here  s176 ...hey do it yer selfers ...any suggestions on how to build a mini smoker? i4
ode2god
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2008, 11:26:17 AM »

I don't do biscuits or cookies. I still have to try birdlovers apple pie though.:?:

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

[/quote]                                                                                                                           have you tried the frozen buttermilk biscuits ? theyre almost as good as homemade! i use them when i got alot going on
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2008, 11:45:46 AM »

id love to smoke a turkey ...but in the city they call the durn fire dept on you if you try to use a smoke house  around here  s176 ...hey do it yer selfers ...any suggestions on how to build a mini smoker? i4

It is cheaper to buy one from Cabela's then it would then to make one. I have used the frozen buttermilk biscuits, many a times. That is the quick fix. s020

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

ode2god
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2008, 12:00:24 PM »

whats cabelas?..is it like walmart ?
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2008, 12:13:24 PM »

whats cabelas?..is it like walmart ?

whats cabelas? You are kidding right? www.cabelas.com Go and take a tour..

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

ode2god
« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2008, 12:31:25 PM »

ill check it out thanks for now heres a recipe i took off the other forum i belong to try it and let me no if you like it ...its english mini scotch eggs
Preparation time : 20 minutes
Cooking time : 25 minutes
Total time : 45 minutes

Makes: 12
Ingredients
450g pack Waitrose Pork Sausagemeat Stuffing
15g pack fresh sage, finely chopped
120g pack Apéri Quail Hard Boiled Quail Eggs
2 tbsp plain flour
2 medium eggs, beaten
100g fresh breadcrumbs
Oil for frying, such as rapeseed oil

Method
Place the sausagemeat in a bowl with the sage and mix together with a fork. Divide the meat into 12 equal portions.
Take a piece of the sausagemeat and flatten it in the palm of your hand. Place one of the quail eggs in the centre and stretch the sausagemeat around to cover the egg completely, then roll between your hands to make an even-shaped ball. Repeat with the remaining eggs and sausagemeat to make 12 balls.
Place the flour, beaten egg and breadcrumbs in 3 separate shallow bowls. Dip each Scotch egg first in the flour to lightly coat, then in the beaten egg, and finally in the breadcrumbs. Repeat with the remaining eggs and place on a plate until ready to cook.
Heat the oil in a deep, heavy-based pan (fill to a third deep with oil) or deep fat fryer to about 160°C (or test with a cube of bread – it should go golden in about 45 seconds). Cook the eggs in several batches, about 4 at a time, for 7-9 minutes until evenly golden brown. Drain well on kitchen paper then chill in the fridge until needed.
For a picnic, leave the eggs until completely cold and wrap in greaseproof paper, to keep the breadcrumb coating crunchy. Serve with Little Gem leaves, celery sticks, baby tomatoes and tzatziki.
Cook's tips
As an alternative to deep-frying, bake the Scotch eggs in an oven preheated to 200°C, gas mark 6, for 20 minutes until golden, making sure the sausagemeat is cooked all the way through. Try making these with hard boiled hen's eggs – use a little more sausagemeat to cover each egg and increase the frying time by an extra 2-3 minutes.
SAM- 5 kids, 4 african land snails, 3 dogs, 9 bantams, 7 quails
sam
Chinese painted Quail

Quail species kept: japs

Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2008, 12:37:59 PM »

ode,

That seems to much like work. I need pictures....

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

ode2god
« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2008, 10:40:25 PM »

ode,

That seems to much like work. I need pictures....

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm
sorry i just thought they sounded good my cookie recipes are easier lol ill try to put some on here ...i probably wont be on here as much as before though ....i dont think it is a good thing when something i enjoyed before leaves me in tears ...you seem really nice but some of the others.....
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »