Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:26:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Hope everyone had a great year.  Welcome to 2013.  Our monthly drawings will be starting back soon!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Individual State/Country Discussion
| | |-+  Nebraska
| | | |-+  Well tweezy.......
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Well tweezy.......  (Read 46773 times)
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

EST. 2001 Owner/Operator Located in Slate, WV

« on: November 21, 2008, 07:10:18 AM »

.........have you settled in yet, if not, how's the transition going?

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
mobe_45
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2008, 09:05:03 PM »

haven't tried cort's for training but when we were in Kansas we just clipped their primary feathers even with the secondaries and re netted them after training for the day. But your dog does need to find them to do this.

Mark
LM GOA
Benefactor NRA
PF Member
LM NAHC
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2008, 05:01:12 AM »

Haven't settled in much.  We've been busy running back and forth.  Today. had to go back for dr. appointment.  The trips always take the whole day so not much time to get anything else done.

Have to hurry though, got family coming on sunday nov.30 for late thanksgiving.  Maybe I should put them all to work helping with the settleing.

I was really suprised as to how many of the quail and the rabbits made the trip without ill effects.  They had to set on the road for a two hour delay when we had the flat tires.  And that was late at night.  Didn't seem to bother them much. j1

I am getting things set-up in the barn the way I want them though.  Would you beleive, those little suckers are still laying eggs?  (The quail, not the rabbits) j1

I do have a question though.  I read somewhere else, that cort. quail don't do well for dog training because they won't come to call cages and the migrate, so if you turn them loose, they will leave.  I figured you guys would know best about this.    True or not?  I hven't had enough experience to know for sure what to beleive and what is just one peron's opinion.

tweezy,

What are you running back and forth for? As far as the DR., find yourself someone local...

How many birds and rabbits didn't make the trip?

As far as using those birds for dog training, I wouldn't know, but if you do clip the wings and can't retrieve them, you have just rang the dinner bell for the predators. So if you do allow dog training on your property, charge extra for the birds to compensate for the loss.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2008, 06:32:05 AM »

j44  As far as the running back and forth..............it's mainly  to finish up the odds and ends of moving stuff.  My kids told me I need mental help for being such a pack rat! j1

All but 4 of the birds made it.  4 of the little guys in my brooders bit the dust.  All of the rabbits made it ok.  One has developed the sniffles, but I think she would have anyway with this weather.

Can't find another doctor closer.  It's 60 miles one way and 65 miles the other. lDecided to stick with the ones I have 'cause they know my history.  (Major life threatening heart attack in Feb 2007.  Mostly fully recovered now, thank God and some pretty awesome docs.

Love the house and location closer to the kids.  they come out quite often now, instead of once every 6 months.

We rent the house, so won't be any hunting on this property.  Just wanted to know about the bird thing, so if anybody asked, I could give them a hal-way intelligent answer.  ( and you guys seem half-wayl intelligent)   JUST JOKING! j41

So the house you moved from is still empty then.

Can't find another doctor closer.  It's 60 miles one way and 65 miles the other. lDecided to stick with the ones I have 'cause they know my history.  (Major life threatening heart attack in Feb 2007.  Mostly fully recovered now, thank God and some pretty awesome docs.

What are you going to do if you have to go to a hospital?

Love the house and location closer to the kids.  they come out quite often now, instead of once every 6 months.

We rent the house, so won't be any hunting on this property.  Just wanted to know about the bird thing, so if anybody asked, I could give them a hal-way intelligent answer. ( and you guys seem half-wayl intelligent)   JUST JOKING! j41

I hope you have a nice lease agreement....

j47 you're lucky tweezy that I respect my elders....

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

slider
Expert Member

What do you mean I have to press 1 for english.

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2008, 05:38:25 AM »

He might like that........ s020

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
slider
Expert Member

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2008, 08:35:36 PM »

FINALLY!!!!!!!! A woman that understands me!!!!!  s020

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
ode2god
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2008, 11:43:11 AM »

sorry to hear about  the foreclosure tweezy ...my sympathy is with you  s20 ..there are atleast 2 per block over here ..not that that makes you feel any better...good luck on the new home...oh and good luck keepin these boys in line i hope theres some good cherry trees in your area lol .. you might wanna build a bigger wood shed too..just call if you need help j41
ode2god
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2008, 09:00:25 PM »

you go girl chin up ..families are what we live for ...they are priceless j45
ode2god
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2008, 10:12:51 AM »

s47  yeah im startin to get a little empty nest syndrome ..my youngest daughter got married so they went to his familys house ,my 21 yr old son is up north ,still got a house full of grandkids though ..my oldest is of partying with her freinds ,got in an aurgument with me so she wouldnt have to feel guilty ..brat s176, and grammy went into the hospital on wed so mom and gramps were to tired had to take them a plate j1..crazy day but still a good one ...just crazy not the usuall j47 how was your thanksgiving did all go smoothly and as planned?
ode2god
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2008, 08:00:48 PM »

j41 lol bird brained that sounds like my group when it comes to the older kids they know how to sell puppys but when it comes to care they get oldshimers lol...yet the five yr old he wants to help with every thing ...he caught a button quail and put it in an empty cage and tried to take it to his rm ....said he wanted his own bird i9 i wonder if hell take after me
ode2god
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2008, 09:42:02 PM »

My six year old has started a "collection".  She wants me to save all the quail eggs for her when they hatch out!  I have been doing that.  Put them in a zip lock bag and spray them with good smelling disinfectant.  And zip it closed tight.  She started saving them earlier in the year, 'cept her dog got the fiest batch.  Asked me to save more for her.  When her mama asked her why she was saving the empty quail eggs, she said it was just something between her and grandma. s020  Go figure 6 year olds!  She really does have quite a "collection" now!  Only ones she doesn't get are the ones I use for pickling.
j45 i guess your okay as long as she dont slip some live ones in there...lol
ode2god
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2008, 09:14:49 AM »

Never thought about that s20   It would be just like her to try!  Luckily, she's not around when I put them in the bag.

Atleast now I know  present Christmas shopping for her will be easy.  Gather the shells, pop them in a bag, spray 'em.  Zip it shut, wrap it. poof, one  present down, 48576 to go!  (I need more birds!!) j1  Just kidding!! c181
lol i lost count dollar tree here i come  c181 p33
slider
Expert Member

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2008, 10:43:34 PM »

It could not go out in July because you would not be using it.......

CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2008, 12:11:12 AM »

why couldn't this happen in July?

That's probably when the problem started and just now showed its face.   :wink:

Soot?  What kind of furnace is it?  Fuel oil, natural or LP gas?  If there is soot, it has more problems than just a switch. I definitely wouldn't sleep in that house without a CO detector, regardless of the age or condition of the furnace. My family and I were very close to being overcome and killed with CO when I was a kid in an old drafty house (drafty house more than likely what saved us). A modern house will kill a person real fast with CO. Of course there was no such thing as smoke or CO detectors then. I have personally had smoke detectors save my 3 year old daughters life and possibly my x-wifes and mine.  Since, I have eye witnessed people who became corpses because of the batteries being taken out of both of the devices.

Get yourself a CO detector before you sleep again!  I'd have a LP detector too, if I had LP, that stuff will blow you to smithereans........had that happen to me too.    :-o  ......just blasted in the chest with an exploding furnace, thought someone shot me with a shotgun!  :-[

^-^
« Last Edit: December 11, 2008, 12:13:47 AM by CharlieHorse » Logged

Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2008, 03:16:37 AM »

Wow, that really sucks tweezy. To bad you didn't have a wood stove or fireplace as a back up.

As far as the soot goes, it would have to be and oil fired burner (fuel oil #2 I believe) to cause that much soot. The gun(burner head) more then likely wasn't working properly and when the unit calls for heat, the pump spays the oil and the gun is suppose to ignite it.

If there is a delay in this process, the fuel oil builds up on the brick lining of the burner. Over time with this build up, it will continue to burn after the unit gun head has shut down suppling the needed heat. The slow burning fuel oil that is burning of the brick lining in the unit is what is causing the soot. There could also be in-proper dampener setting as well.

Fuel oil heating systems, along with wood or coal heating systems are suppose to have a clay lining inside the brick or block chimney.

Natural gas, or LPG does not cause soot, nor do they require a clay lining. All Natural gas or LPG heating units just use double wall pipe either galvanize or stainless steel and are usually cool to the touch by the time they are vented out of the roof or the side of the house.

As far as CO detector, for it to be effective, it should be placed where the heating unit is located. Then if you want, place a second one outside the sleeping quarters.

Be careful with the extra electric space heater as well. To many on an under rated circuit 15amps/14g wire VS 20amp/12ga wire and you start to pop the breakers. If it is an old house without circuit breaker, and the screw in glass fuses, make sure you replace them with the correct amp fuse. And what ever you do, don't put a penny behind it if it keeps blowing.  i9

If you are ever forced to use kerosene heaters, make sure you have some form of ventilation. I don't care what they say, kero even K-1 still has an odor and you will get a headache. Just make sure you have the co detectors in place for those as well.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm
« Last Edit: December 11, 2008, 03:02:37 PM by Pheasant Hollow Farm » Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »