Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 16, 2024, 09:21:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Adding Pictures to your message is EASY! 
While creating a topic, click on ADDITIONAL OPTIONS and then the Browse
button. Select a picture file from your computer and your done!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Incubation
| | |-+  I am at a total loss, please help
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: I am at a total loss, please help  (Read 7252 times)
wildergamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2008, 01:29:12 AM »

There are two new products out that might help.

One is a thermometer, which measures temperature.  The other is a hygrometer, which measures humidity.  By knowing the temperature, and humidity, one could adjust for variations, and avoid powdered eggs in the shell, frozen eggs, or partially incubated eggs during storage.  I don't believe a fertilized egg can drown.  I suppose in extreme humidity ( a constant 100%?), eggs shells would dissolve. 

If it were not possible to maintain proper humidity in a small refrigerator, it would not be possible in a GQF cabinet incubator.  They are about the same size.

Many of the "dorm size" refrigerators have an evaporator which is built into the box, rather than an evaporative coil, with a circulatory fan, like an air conditioner.  This type refrigerator does not dehumidify

Most full size refrigerators made in the last 30 years, or more are of the circulatory type.  These would require some sort of humidifier to properly store eggs for more than just a few days.

Since cell division can begin at around 65F-68F, storing eggs at room temperature, for more than a week, can not be the best idea.  At the very least, it would likely cause a drawn out hatch.

When nuts are outlawed, only outlaws will have nuts, look at France.
rushcreek

« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2008, 11:15:40 AM »

Thank you wildergamebirds for explaining so well. Refrigerated air conditioners in your home would surely dry eggs out more quickly.

Rush Creek Quail Farm
http://www.rushcreek.net
greyghost
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2008, 01:39:08 AM »

B75, I'm sure your Little Giant came with instructions, and as you said , you read every word. My experience is  with Hova Bators. I hatch Jumbo Coturnix Quail at a rate of about 85%. I fill the first water section and keep it full a"till day 13, ( that would be day 20 for Bob's) then fill the 2nd section. I also set eggs daily from 8 hens and this method works great for me. All of my chicks hatch in my incubator, they are tough critters. I had 9 yesterday and 5 today.  Use the mfr's instructions for humidity and it should work fine.
bswy75

« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2008, 12:52:13 AM »

Just to let all of ya know, I have about 40 chicks running around now. Thanks for all your input. The separate hatcher really helped out. p42
NH/Pete
Expert Member

« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2008, 08:14:03 AM »

s98

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."
Abraham Lincoln
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »